Author Topic: Crafting "Bucket List"  (Read 4598 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Crafting "Bucket List"
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
This just struck me as a great idea.  What all would you like to make before you can't craft anymore?

Crochet
     I'd like to make the valance with the points at the bottom hem. 
     I'd like to make the stained glass sweater for me with a tails hemline.
     Christmas Ornaments
Knit
     Belle fingerless gloves
     Dragonfly fingerless gloves
     Mandrin Collar keyhole or thin "v" neck gray sweater
     Sage Ruffled Jacket
     Thigh length batwing cardigan
     Lace fingerless gloves
Felting
     Fedora
     Purse
Tin Work
     Christmas Ornaments   
Quilts
     Stained Glass Butterfly
     Peacock Embroidered
     4 Geishas Panels
Paper Making
     Moorish Trellis Border stationary
     TKH Letterhead using Cursive Love Knot styled font. 

I bet if I think on this the list can go on and on. 
Do you have a list - maybe just a mental list - of those things you would like to make before you are done crafting?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Crafting "Bucket List"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
crochet, i'm pretty happy with where i am at, just exploring what ever suits my fancy.

knitting - not if i can help it.

quilting - some machine quilting one day but probably just throws, nothing special.

tatting - i want to finally get the hang of "climbing out" of a ring.  (if you tat, you'll know what it means and if you don't, i can't explain it!)

i'd love to do some weaving (not the pot holder looms of my youth)

there are other things i'd like to do, but not sure what they are right now.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
I couldn't even figure out how to hold the thing you tat with.  I gave that up very quickly. 

I did the pot holder loom thing as a kid too.  Weren't they ugly? (mine were)

I'd like to try spinning, I think I just want the cool looking wheel in my craft room. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
funny you said spinning.  i checked out a book on how to finger spin.  that is also one i'm contemplating. and yes, the wheels are cool looking!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
I've never heard of finger spinning.  Maybe something like that is something I would like to look into. 

Isn't it cool I found the butterfly quilt I want to make.  Check out the quilting thread.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »
Ok I signed up to do the 12 pairs of fingerless gloves in 2013.

I plan to do 4 pair of the Easy Black Fingerless Gloves
I plan to do James, Johnathan, Jeffry, and Eddie each a pair
I did the modified dragonfly fingerless gloves
I plan the Belle fluer fingerless gloves in Cream with brown trim to match my leather jacket. 
Now I just have to come up with two more pair I know I want one pair in red to match my cap and I'd like it in a style that will match the fedora.  And the only thing I have left after that is maybe a lacy pair for easter?   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
I've thought about doing stained glass a few times so I signed up for a class.  It starts March 28th so we'll see.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
oh sheri, that sounds like fun!  i'd love to do that, but know i never will.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Ditto Jenn's comments.  Good luck with the class I hope it is as fun as it is beautiful. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
I'm looking forward to hearing about the stained glass.

I need to add felting to my bucket list.  I love the look and feel. 

I've found a pattern for slippers that are high toppers with a button closure on the leg that is just gorgeous.  So they are on my bucket list.

Then Jeffry wore the felt vest that I just love and that reminded me that I could make one of those - way cool - I love vests.

And then to top it off one of the moderators on ravelry does stained glass pictures out of felt.  Some of them are clearly amazing.  And we all know how I feel about stained glass. 

So wow has my bucket list grown. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »
Hum my list has grown.  and it's getting disorganized.  So I need to fix it.  
Crochet
     I'd like to make the valance with the points at the bottom hem.  
     I'd like to make the stained glass sweater for me with a tails hemline.
     Christmas Ornaments
Knit
     Belle fingerless gloves
     Dragonfly fingerless gloves
     Mandrin Collar keyhole or thin "v" neck gray sweater
     Sage Ruffled Jacket
     Thigh length batwing cardigan
     Lace fingerless gloves
     Finish Lana's Fingerless Gloves
     Fingerless Gloves for Jeffry
     Fingerless Gloves for James
     Fingerless Gloves for Jonathan
Felting    
Fedora
     Fedora cream and black
     Parisan Hat Red to match my cape
     Purse
Tin Work    
Christmas Ornaments  
Quilts    
     Stained Glass Butterfly
     Peacock Embroidered
     4 Geishas Panels
     Quilted Christmas Balls
Paper Making
     Moorish Trellis Border stationary
     TKH Letterhead using Cursive Love Knot styled font.

Ok that's it for now.  

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 11:40:54 AM by duh »

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
tammy, i think, maybe, you've gotten the bucket list confused with the to do list and that is why it has grown.  my understanding of a bucket list is to do something you've never done before.  then you cross it off the bucket list and either put it on the regular list (to do again and again in different ways) or you cross it off because you know you'd never do it again.

like i wouldn't put crochet on my bucket list because i do lots of that.  but i might put "make a table cloth" or "make a bedspread" because i've never done those.  but the list is more general than specific.  just my thought...

right now, the only thing on my bucket list is weaving.  everything else has been moved somewhere else.  either the won't do ever again, or do so much it doesn't count anymore.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »
You could be right.  I guess I got my wants in there.  No suprise.  I just need a place to put everything I want to do so they don't get lost or forgotten.  There is a lot of forgetting going on around here. 

I have very few of the types of things you are talking about to do.

The hand gliding and parasailing got marked off when I got disabled. 
The Pyramids got crossed off when I realized the heat would ruin it for me. 
The Great Wall of China got crossed off when I realized one busy day put me in bed for several days following.
The same with Australia.

I guess I'm out of luck.  Maybe that's a good thing, it means I did the things I wanted to do for the most part.  Interesting I did most of them before I got disabled so that would be 33 years of age.  Nice huh?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
well, yes and no tammy.  a crafting bucket list would be different than a general one.  i get what you are saying about getting most of it done before you were 35.  as did i, although i did have an unexpected one with the trip to new york last year.

but back to crafting...

i would say the "new things" on my list would be:
weaving
spinning - maybe
completing a tatting project larger than a shamrock
i'd like to try my hand at sculpture
and i'd like to try actual craft paper making, the kind with the screen dipped in the slurry, etc.
making/stamping/embossing stationery doesn't do much for me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
stamping and embossing are more like production work I would think, not really a fun activity.  I do love caligraphy but I couldn't put it on a bucket list because I've done so much I can't even begin to remember it.

Now lets see about the rest of the craft list.

A.  Crochet

1.  I'd like to make the valance with the points at the bottom hem.  I have never made a valance or done a hankerchief hemline although I'm attempting the hemline on the cuffs.  unsuccessfully at this time.

2.  I'd like to make the stained glass sweater for me with a tails hemline.  I've never made a button up sweater/cardigan or a tails hemline, or stained glass using the duplicate stitch which I just read about.  So there is lots of new in that one I think.  But maybe not?

3.  Christmas Ornaments - the bain of my crocheting existence.  I've tried snowflakes, angels and 3d snowflakes all without success.  There is something about the stiffening process that I just don't understand.  So since I haven't succeeded at it can I still put it here?

B.  Knit

1.  Belle fingerless gloves - this pattern has the plaquette where the buttons go in the pattern.  That would be a new design element.  So can I get away with it?

2.  Dragonfly fingerless gloves - I still haven't learned the closed trellis stitch that is required to do this so maybe this should still be on the list?

3.  Mandrin Collar keyhole or thin "v" neck gray sweater - Again I've never had success with the mandrin collar or have I tried a keyhole neckline.  I have done one other sweater though.  So I'll put this in the maybe pile?

4.  Sage Ruffled Jacket - I've never done this pattern before.  Would that count as new or not?  It might be splitting hairs, huh?

5.  Thigh length batwing cardigan - Again I've never done one of these but I have owned one.  I loved it so I wanted to make one like I used to have. 

6.  Lace fingerless gloves - I've never done openwork in knitting so this would be learning all new techniques.

C.  Felting

1.  Parisan Hat Red to match my cape - new pattern?

2.  Purse - very first purse in any craft?

D.  Tin Work   

Christmas Ornaments - I've only begun this craft so I have everything to try.  It should still qualify shouldn't it?

E.  Quilts

1.  Stained Glass Butterfly - I have done reverse applique before but this is my first window quilt.  And the first time I've modified a pattern.  Is that enough to qualify?

2.  Peacock Embroidered - this would definitely be a new technique, it's called thread painting.  It scares the dickens out of me but it would be so pretty.  Think I can keep it in?

3.   Quilted Christmas Balls - This is a no sew technique that is just beautiful.  I've favorited the tutorial but I haven't done one yet.  I think that would qualify, wouldn't it?

F.  Paper Making

1.  Moorish Trellis Border stationary - yes I am talking about the slurry and all that.  But I also want to add dried flowers and then make a trellis pattern over where the flowers are.  I would probably have to make my own stamp and stamp it.  Or make a template and ink it.  Probably the template. 

2.  TKH Letterhead using Cursive Love Knot styled font. I suppose this is something I have always wanted.  But I have made letterhead for work from time to time so I guess this isn't new.  I definitely want it. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »
So what I would put on your bucket list of new experiences would be:

master 3 new crochet techniques - picot/handkerchief edging (hopefully on a set of crocheted valances), a button up/cardigan style sweater (using a stained glass motif/pattern), and stiffening 3-D thread work.

master several new knit techniques - plaquette for buttons, the closed trellis stitch, new necklines such as a mandarin and/or keyhole, and lace/openwork.  the new pattern, not so much. the batwing sweater would only qualify if you've never completed something that large.

felting - perfecting it by more practice (so things don't get too small)

making a purse (felted or otherwise) worth carrying

master tin work that you've started

master new quilting techniques, including modifying patterns, thread painting, and 3-D items

artisan/craft paper making

then, as you get these things going, you put them in a list that is not part of the bucket list.  the bucket list is just new things.  the rest is what it is.  things you want to do, but not "bucket".  i hope this helps you.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »
Thanks yes it does.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal