Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? 2  (Read 17805 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today? 2
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
:SlapSelf: i forgot the tomato cage when i went to the store today :SlapSelf:
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
Maybe tomorrow?  I do that all the time.  If I don't stamp the list of things to do to my forehead something gets forgotten.  And my lists are having to get more and more detailed or I don't understand what I've written.

Well it rained again last night so grass cutting is out for today.  So I decided that I would weed the peppers and guess what I found 4 tomato plants.  What a suprise huh?  I'm not sure if they are from Judy's compost or mine but either way I'm happy to see them.  That will increase my tomato plants by 200 percent.  And they are free!  Loving it!  But of course, it means more work doesn't it? 

First I have to weed the next 4 tires.  Then dig up soil from the botton of the drain field where it all ends up on this slope.  Then I have to strain out the roots and rocks.  Then tote it up the hill to the tires.  4 trips for each tomato plant 16 trips in all.  So how many did I do today?  2  I'll go out as soon as my arms quit hurting and try and do another 2. 

Why is it that no matter what I do to knock things off my to do list something always comes along to fill the space so the list never gets shorter.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
I went out and did another two.  Then I went to get gas for the car so I wouldn't have to do it monday. 

There was alittle left over in the checking account so I decided to buy some compost and top soil for the tires rather than digging and screening my stuff.  I was tired by then.  So I remembered that I had figured out that it was 16 trips.  But I forgot that it was because I was only carrying 1/2 buckets loads because of the weight.  So I got 8 40 lb bags of soil/compost. 

So I had enough for 6 tires rather than 4 and topping off the two pepper plants that lost some soil in the transplants.  Then I put 60 lbs in the birdbath bed since that one money plant was comming out of the ground.  It should be solid in there now.  And I have a nice 1inch of top soil for the portulacas that will go in there the end of next month. 

I'm tired and dirty at the moment and as soon as I recover I'm going to go practice being a prune in the tub.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
it sounds like a successful day though tammy.  and it isn't even really afternoon yet.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
oh, believe me, the day is over.  I hurt from the waist up.  I'm for bath and bed and I don't think I'll be getting up for much of anything. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
I got up early Saturday morning and watered everything and then it started raining Saturday afternoon and rained the rest of the weekend. I also put out a row of corn and the rest of the cukes Saturday morning.  It's too wet to do anything today.

I have two lovely squash plants that need to go somewhere but since the squash bug saga of 2012 I don't want to put them in the garden with the other veges.  Where should I put them?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
in 5 gallon buckets :grinnnn:

i went in the garden and took pictures but won't get them up tonight.  tomorrow i hope.  sheri, you should see my squash.  i counted no less than a doze or more blooms between the 2 buckets.  we are going to be eating a lot of squash :)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
show off  :Wow:  maybe I should start gardening in the dark too. :good2:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
Congrats on the squash.  Sounds like a nice crop.

It's misting and I'm not sure about electric weed wackers and even the lightest rain.  So instead of cutting grass I took the two clumps of daffodils that I wanted to move and put them in the bulb bed around the pot of tulips I moved awhile back.  Then I dug holes and put in pots for where I want the rest of the tulips to go.  I still need to bury more pots for asiatic Lilies, more crocuses, and possible some hyacinths.  If I'd have known to put them in pots to begin with I wouldn't have to rebuy them. 

So what I'm currently planning is that the asiatic lilies will be at the back of the boarder, then the gladiolus, then the tulips surrounded by daffodils, then crocuses and hycinth in front also surrounded by the protective daffodils.  The tulips crocuses and hycinth all in pots.  Cross your fingers for me. 

Another peony is blooming and what was suppose to be dark red is of course pink.  No real suprise there I bought it at walmart.

The orange blossom is alive barely but something is attacking it and eating all of the leaves.  I guess the first dry day I get I'd better spray it with bug spray. 

I also need to get the rose leaves off of the ground where all the rain has put them.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »
The locust are all over the property today.  I'm not sure if I can talk myself into working out there today or not.  I'll think about it.  I hate to loose a good day but I also don't want one of those things on me.  I'd have been fine if I hadn't see that tv blurb with a picture of a little girl with those things all over her shirt.  It gave me the heebee geebee's.  I know it was probably hollywood rather than real but still ugh!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
They moved farther down the road so I managed to get out there. 

The biggest thing I did was dig a hole for one of the arbor day trees.  I'm going to have to look up which ones survived.  This one had lost all of it's paint so I'll have to see if I marked it by location.  Sometimes I do that.  Then I grabbed 5 gallons of soil from the bottom of the drain field to add to the planting hole.  Then I dug up the rootball and transplanted it to it's new home.  I think I went for mostly flowering trees so what ever it is will be great. 

I have two more to go that I have purple paint on them.  I hope I can find where I identified them in one of the posts.

Then I cut a pine sapling back to the ground and through it on the compost pile along with the naked ladies stocks.  The flowers have totally died back because of that cold snap we had.  But I've got a pot full of leaves.  I thought the leaves were suppose to come up first not after.  I'm always so confused. 

Then I had to tidy up the compost pile so the greens were covered with browns.  The pile is comming along well I think. 

So on the garden to do list:

1.  Transplant the trees.
2.  Clean up the rose leaves that have fallen.
3.  Prune the diseased leaves on the rose bushes.
4.  Transplant the last miniature rose bush.
5.  Cut more grass!
6.  Rake more grass!
7.  Compost more grass!
8.  Love my garden!!! Doing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
Oh, by the way.  I did 35 minutes in the garden.  Less than my average 45 minutes but I broke a sweat and got my heart rate accelerated so I figure it was a good work  out.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
I pulled up the rest of the lettuce and radishes.  The lettuce is bitter and the radishes were big enough.  I'm not replanting this year since the lettuce is already bitter.  First time this has happened.  It's too wet to do anything else out there.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
Love my radishes.  Sorry your lettuce bolted. 

Today I transplanted the second arbor day foundation tree.  It got the back right corner of the backyard for it's new home.  The other one which is the same kind of tree will get the other back corner.  Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow. 

While I was digging the hole I found 4 nice stones for the front flowerbed edgings.  Not a whole lot done but it's something. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:59 PM »
I got another 20 minute session out in the garden because the rain has kept it cooler out.  It only equated to two long swatches of grass cut in the back yard before I gave up on the weed eater but hopefully it will be enough to add a gallon or 5 to the compost pile.  That would be the most important thing.  Well along with getting the grass cut. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »
marked my plants so robert doesn't eat them with the weed eater.  ok, i didn't mark them. i supervised his marking them :giggle:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »
lol. that works.  And if he marks them he may be more willing to look for them when he is cutting.  Right?

I got a couple of things done this morning.  I raked up the grass I cut yesterday and put it in the compost pile. 

I transplanted the last white paint arbor day tree.  And of course noticed among the weeds that the two blue paint arbor day trees also survived.  So now I'll have to find homes for them.  Yeah!  They are small enough that I might be able to let them sit for another year while I cut down existing trees and try and find room for them. 

The peonies are in bloom although I don't have any red ones yet.  So I went out and put up bamboo sticks and tied the blooms up so they weren't laying on the ground. 

Moved 3 more rocks to the edging around the peonies from the back yard.  And that's it for the time being.  I wish I could have done more but that tired me and I have that interview today and I can't take a nap and sleep through it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Jun 05, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
A tomato plant has wound up in the blueberry patch.  I have no idea how it did it.  I will transplant it when I'm feeling lucky.  I have a tire with soil in it so there is a place for it. 

Today I weeded about 1/3 of the sidewalk bed, the sidewalk, and the foundation bed on the right side of the door.  It's a start.  I wish the grass would stay in the lawn.  Instead that's the only place it avoids. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #93 on: Jun 27, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »
My friend was in my garden today.  I thought Dianna would like a picture.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: Jun 27, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
he's a healthy looking, very big boy.  he must stay well fed.  i'd hate to think of what would be in your yard if he was not. (since he eats mice, poisonous snakes, and other critters)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #95 on: Jun 27, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
That's what I was thinking Jen, healthy and big.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #96 on: Jun 28, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

OMG!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #97 on: Jun 28, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

Shame on you, Sheri! :naughty:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #98 on: Jun 28, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
Pretty boy!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #99 on: Jun 28, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »