Author Topic: Quilting Projects 2  (Read 16230 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Quilting Projects 2
« on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
currently I have 1 1/2 quadrants  cut out.  I just had to come in here and put the hints and tips down before I forgot them.  
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 11:12:22 AM by Jim »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Quilting Projects 2
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
I've finished cutting out the second quadrant.  Happy happy.  I only have half of it still left to do. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
I've been trying to get the colors the way I want them.  It's been hard to get a good feeling about possible fabrics. 

This is what I've decided so far.

I want to really have the feeling of sun shinning through a window on this.  So I need to find the point where the light would be brightest and then go from lightest to darkest.  Fussy cutting the fabric so that the lightest colors are toward the center of the pieces and the darker parts of the patterns are toward the edges.  I think this is going to be a major pain.  But then what about quilting don't I see as a major pain?  If I didn't love the look of quilts so much I wouldn't put myself through this.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
Ok the boarder areas have finally come together.  The top will be like a fan light over a door done in a crocheted outline in number 3 crochet thread in a cream color.  See Crochet 3 page 4 for details.  I've got it drawn out on tracing paper.  Now I just have to move it to full size onto the template.  I'll do that with the overhead projector and the design wall.  Loving that craftroom.

The bottom will be four pannels with one flower representing each season.  Spring daffodil, Summer Hydrangia, Fall Mum, Winter Winter Jasmine.  So yellow, blue, cream yellow.  I'm very happy with that.  Thank heavens I thought I was going to fight with that right up to the last. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:38:12 AM »
I got everything moved over to the large template.  I'm very happy with the results.  That's a lot to get done first thing in the morning.

Now Carol is working with me to find the applique flowers for the 4 panels on the bottom.  I'll e-mail her and let her know size and which flowers. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:43:43 AM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
I got the ziploc bags so now I can separate the pattern pieces into colors and store them separately.  I want to have this done by Monday.  That gives me a goal for cutting out the rest of the pieces.  I guess if I'm going to get done I need to get started.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
1/2 of the third quadrant is cut out.  The plastic bags are marked with the color code.  So there is progress.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
The rest of the third quadrant is cut out.  All of the cut out pieces are in their color coded baggie.  And only one piece hasn't been identified so I can code it.  How in the world did I miss coding some of the pieces?  Two so far. 

And the template is very delicate.  I'm glad I have extra paper around mine or it wouldn't have survived this far.  I'm also more determined than even not to try and travel with it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
The fourth quadrant has been gone over with the medium marker and is ready to cut.  I'm excited and scared at the same time. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
you are moving right along with this tammy.  i'm excited for you.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
Thanks Jenn, I appreciate it.

I cut out the fourth quadrant so now all the cutting is done.

Then I took the "transparency" and colored it in with the colors I want to use.

From there I took the key that came with the directions and made a key to fit my color choices. 

Then I marked off the colors I already have. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:40:22 AM »
I'm thinking that these little pieces that make up the quilt will have to be cut out with scissors.  I can't see that the rotary cutter would be a good tool.  I'm not good with scissors. 

What needs to happen is I lay out the pieces on the fabric pin them.  Cut a piece of interfacing to cover the fabric where the pieces are.  Iron it onto the back of the fabric, and then cut out the pieces. 

My heart is racing just thinking about it.  Crazy huh? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
Here are the pictures of some of the fabrics.

This is the best picture I could get of the blue fabric pattern.

This is the width of the blue fabric.  It will go on the 3 most inner layers of the wing.  The lightest on the inside next to the body and then the middle color and then the darkest color.

This is the color I will use for the butterfly body. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
those are beautiful pictures of some very beautiful fabric.  i think the finished product will be lovely.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Lovely fabrics.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
Glad you saw them before I started organizing.  I'm so crazy sometimes I can't even manage myself.

Well I went to Quilting expressions today to pick up the yellows for the quilt and came home with everything but the blackout lining and the black background fabric.  And the metalics are blow your mind gorgeous.  I don't have enough light in the craftroom for pictures now that the floor lamp is busted.  But I'll try to take them outside the next nice day and get pictures.  I'm so excited!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
I almost forgot.  I ran into Harriet in Altavista and we had lunch.  I showed her what I had and we discussed the other window quilt I need for my bedroom.  She has offered to make a pattern of a garden and gazebo with a weeping willow and stream to complement the butterfly.  So not only will I have a great window quilt but I'll have a memento of our friendship.  I'm really psyched about this.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:49:14 PM by duh »

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »
that's a great thing tammy!  and to spend time with harriet is its own gift as well.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »
You are so right there, Jenn.

This morning first thing.  I took the brown fabric that will be used for the butterfly body pinned the pattern pieces to it.  Pinned the adhesive to the back, and ironed it.  Then I got the yellows sorted out.  What a mess that was.  And I've got an extra piece that I miss marked.  That's going to be a mystery until I find out where it goes. 

I've started to pin the yellow pieces to the lighter yellow fabric.  I hope I will finish that today.  As you can tell I am excited.   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
I didn't get to see the material but it's way cool that Harriet can make a pattern like that.  What a talent and it sounds beautiful.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:18 PM »
Sorry you didn't see the fabrics.  I'll try linking to them again when I get pictures of the rest of them.

I've got the pattern pieces pinned on 6 of the fabrics and the iron on adhesive glued to the back. 

Today I bought some micro snips.  They are suppose to make cutting small pieces easy.  We'll see how that goes.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
good luck on that tammy!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
Thanks Jenn.

Ok, this morning I finished pinning the dark blue.  I discovered that I hadn't created the second eye of the butterfly or cut it out so I did that and pinned it on the dark blue before adding the adhesive so everything was fine there.  I found where the yellow 14 went so I got out the light yellow so I can cut out that piece and add the adhesive to it.

I pinned the blue green and added the adhesive to it.  So now I just have the light green to do in the butterfly wing.  I'm not looking forward to the cutting but I can do it. 

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to carry all of this to the club tonight without loosing any of the pieces.  Some of them are tiny. 

I remeasured the window.  This time using the curtain rod as the "top" of the quilt measurement rather than the top of the window.  It gave me the extra room I'll need to create the frame around the stained glass window motif.  I'm so glad I was sweating bullets on that one.  What is the old saying measure twice cut once?  I'm so glad I did.  Now I just have to make the correction to the template and figure out how I'm going to add 4 inches on to the background fabric.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Ok, here are the fabrics for the stained glass butterfly. 

The one has the pattern pieces on it.  It is actually the center dark blue of the full blown rose pattern. 

The ones to the right will actually be the colors in the butterfly.  They are all metalics.
The ones to the left will be the colors of the window.  I'm excited.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
that's looking good tammy, and that is a great photo!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal