Author Topic: Quilting Projects 2  (Read 16231 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Quilting Projects 2
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
I took 4 photos to get that one.  It's like trying to run between the raindrops to get a picture when I'm not shaking.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
I took 4 photos to get that one.  It's like trying to run between the raindrops to get a picture when I'm not shaking.
i understand that one!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Would you believe that I took about 1/2 of what I needed to the quilt club.  I had alittle of this and a little of that but not everything I needed for much.

So Carol lead me through patching my template so I can get the boarder on the butterfly that should be there.  Then I bought another piece of black for the background so I'll have enough for the patch and the rod pocket. 

Harriet's housing at the hospital fell through so she was there for the quilting group.

We discussed the size of the center piece of the second window quilt 26 1/4 inches x 26 1/4 inches.  Then the color I want for the boarder on both quilts.  I didn't really get any time to talk to her because by the time Carol and I got done she was packing up to leave and I had to go too.  Some activities just eat time. 

So this morning I got everything in from the car.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
Today I put in the frame that will go around the butterfly.  I redrew the fan light but I don't like it.  And I decided I would put the label on the lower left corner of the quilt on the top side and leave the right side blank.  But I'm not sure I like any of those answers. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 09:07:55 AM »
Life just gets more and more interesting as I learn quilting.  Grumble!  Ok yesterdays chore was relatively simple I thought.  Iron on the template to the black fabric.  Now, to prep for this step I've added 7 inches to my 45 inch template so that the window quilt will actually reach to the curtain rod so that both window quilts will be hung at the same height.  Now my Background black material should be the 52 inches plus hem plus rod pocket.  So 4 inches larger than my template right.  Carol when she cut the extra piece cut me extra.  I didn't plan for extra when I centered the template on the paper.  But that wasn't the only problem.  I tried to iron on this huge template on the ironing board.  Narrow not very long regulation ironing board.  Cattywhampus, bubbles, rips, wrinkles, GRH!  Needless to say it didn't work. 

So today I took off the template and was contemplating just pinning it or just ironing on the edges and letting the stainedglass template fend for itself.  So I put the fabric up on my worktable that is a ceramic tile table then centered the template on it.  The problem being I wasn't sure if the tiles would crack from the heat of the iron.  Fortunately they didn't and the template is now ironed on to the fabric.  I won't say it's perfect.  It isn't.  There are a few rips that had to be repaired and somehow the stained glass portion seems to have come out of true but it's close enough I can work with it I think. 

Next I'll cut out all 100 plus pieces of the butterfly. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Exciting news!  Harriet is designing the next window quilt so that it is also stained glass applique.  Isn't that cool.  She is worried that I may end up with it looking to busy in the bedroom.  Now I'm worried about it too.  I do have a tendency to collect until it is cluttered and then I am unhappy.  Anyone have any ideas for me?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
I'll invite Harriet over to look at the room.  She has an eye for decor that I lack.  That should fix the problem.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
sounds like you have a plan then.  good thinking.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Thank you.  The trick is not to over tax her strength while making sure she is engaged and happy to the greatest extent possible. 

Ok, this morning I pinned the light green fabric for the butterfly.  That's the last of that for the moment. 

Next few steps so I don't forget anything. 

1.  Put adhesive on back of light green fabric.
2.  Cut out the last 3 fabrics.
3.  Fray check all of the pieces.
4.  Place pieces on template and iron down, then pin for sewing.
5.  Sew with invisible thread.
6.  Zigzag thin edge on all of the stained glass pieces.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
Ok the adhesive is applied and the light green is cut out.  So currently I've cut out over 100 pieces for this quilt.  Probably another 2 days of cutting unless I decided to work on it some more until the locust leave.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
I stopped by Carol's today.  I had left my paper scissors there so I picked them up.  I asked her about the adhesive not sticking she said she would leave the iron on it longer.  And if that didn't work, she said to try glue stick.  So I may cut out the rest tonight but I'm not getting near the iron in this heat.  Ugh, I really wish the heat pump was working.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:34:07 AM »
I tried holding the iron on the fabric with the heat bond for 10 seconds and finally I got the bond I want.  At least, I think I do.  So I'm happy for awhile.  I managed to get the blue green fabric cut out.  I make a bag for small scrapes of the fabric I'm using on this project.  Just incase I loose a piece or something.  There still isn't anything to take a picture of, well maybe the template.  I'll have to see if I can get a picture.  Probably not because the craft room is to dark unless it is a bright sunny day. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
Today I cut out the last of the fabric for the butterfly.  I'm excited and scared at the same time.  If I am going to get a picture of the template I'll have to do it today before I start filling it in.  But that will probably be after my nap, I can feel my eyes drooping.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Jun 05, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »
There is always a problem.  I got all the pieces ironed on the background and the pattern pieces pulled off and then the template pulled off and noticed that I hadn't placed the pieces as well as I had thought so a bunch of them had to be pulled off and moved.  That caused raveling which looks bad of course.  And then I noticed that the black was showing through the non-metalic fabrics and causing them to loose their look.  So now I'm in the process of recutting about half of the pattern pieces in white cotton to put behind the fabrics so their natural patterns will show.  Fun!

At least I'm making progress.  So no pictures.  I have them on the camera but i have no way to upload them to the computer since the software is on my harddrive. 

Sometimes it all drives me crazy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Jun 07, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
The white cotton pieces are cut and ready to be placed after they are matched with the colored pieces.  I'm figuring one to two days for that.  Wish me luck. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: Jun 07, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
good luck!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Jun 12, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
Thank you it looks like I will need all the luck I can get.

I do a couple a day and it's taking me weeks.

I'll never do an applique on dark background with botiques again.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
Still moving slowly when I move at all.  ugh.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Jul 05, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
Nothing has changed.  I'm still slowly pinning the pieces to the background.  I get one pinned and then the next one doesn't fit the way it's suppose to and I have to go back and do the one before.  And of course in the process I've lost one of the pieces and need to do it again.  Third time if you can believe it.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #44 on: Jul 05, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
You're a better woman than I.  I would pitch a fit and quit.  Just like my socks.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #45 on: Jul 06, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »
I get to this point on most projects so I've learned to "power through," otherwise I'd have to give up on crafting in general.  But I know what you mean. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Sep 20, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
I've got to admit this has been painful to do.  Currently I'm finding it is better for me frustration wise to just do a running stitch along all the pieces on the top by hand.  On a good day I can do one piece each day.  But for every good day there are a weeks worth of bad days where I don't do anything.  Hopefully I'll get the winter schedule up and running and things will improve.  I can sew while watching tv if I can talk myself into it.  The problem are the pins that migrate into the rug, couch and other places to ambush me when I least expect it. 

Anyone else quilting?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
This project has been on hold.  I am planning on restarting soon.  I'm going to start taking these projects to meetings with me so I at least get a little done.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »
almost a year from my last post.  They are starting a Flying Fingers Needle Crafting Group in January and I'll be restarting the quilt.  I need the motivation of the group to keep at this project.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #49 on: Dec 10, 2014, 04:37:08 PM »
A good plan, Tammy.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal