Author Topic: Quilting Projects 2  (Read 16258 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Quilting Projects 2
« Reply #75 on: Apr 09, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
Never wash an art quilt, who knew?  Now I have to start over but I'll probably wait until the end of the series.
Next month is printing Pictures on fabric.  I have no idea how to do that but that's what the book is for.  Wish me luck on that one.  The Beginner's Piecing Class is moving right along.  I finished the 4 friendship stars and 2 jacobs ladders and now I just have to cut out the ohio star.  Then it's boarders yeah!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Apr 11, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
So who knew.  The next quilt is done out of the book.  It is tracing and then fusing pretty much like the first one I did except this one is a pear.  I've cut out the pieces in the fusible web and chosen all of the fabric.  The rest we're going to do at the meeting.  The one after that in this same chapter is the one I'm doing in line with the "Manmade" theme.  I'm going to try and do the parthenon.  I wonder how that will turn out.

The machine quilting has taken a turn to stitches that are too large.  I guess now I'm moving the material too much.  Ah well I still have 5 1/2 months to get it right.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #77 on: Apr 11, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
Good going, Tammy.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Apr 13, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
Thanks Tina.  This morning I made my quilted nametag for the quilt club I joined.  I didn't do a very good job it was a complex pattern.  But I was told I needed to bring it for Friday so I did it.  Only managed to make one point and lost the fabric on one edge but i did the best I could.  I'll make another one when I know what I'm doing.  Hope I remember to take it with me on friday lol.

The Parthenon scared me so I decided to do a vase instead.  Much more my speed. lol.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #79 on: Apr 13, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
Good thinking. Baby steps.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: Apr 13, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
tammy, if you did the best you could, and you know what you did wrong, you are ahead of the game.  and i agree, changing the pattern to something simpler is a good thing if you are struggling. like tina said, baby steps.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Apr 15, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
I lost a very long post I hate it when that happens.

Here is where I am at the moment and what I need to accomplish on each project.

1.  Beginning Machine Piecing Sampler - Doing the Ohio Star Blocks.  I have 2 done and need to complete 2 more.  Then cut the borders and arrange the blocks in their final configuration.

2.  2015 BOM - got instruction for Lois on the Card Trick and chose fabric.  Need to have it finished and a picture taken by April 30th.

3.  Explorer Club - Have the pear mini quilt ready to go.  Have the homework quilt designed and the fabric chosen.  Need to finish it by May 13th and do the first exercise in Chapter 3.

4.  Stained Glass Butterfly Window Quilt.  - Work on my quilting skills until I can top stitch the applique. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: Apr 15, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
you are busy...

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #83 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
Wow!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Finished the Ohio Star blocks and had put on hour glass the wrong direction.  Of course it was in the middle row so I had to frog it.  And while frogging it I punctured it with the seam ripper so I had to do another one.  But it's all done correctly now.  So, that is good.  Then I cut the border fabric and got the arrangement numbered so I am ready to sew.  I did not take a picture when I had it laid out.  I didn't think of it.  Sorry

The Card Trick block keeps tricking me.  I cut the fabric and did it wrong and now I have to cut it all again.  Doesn't that figure?

Here is the first Mini Art Quilt -

Sorry for the blur, even on the two step ladder I'm wobbly.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
that's pretty tammy.  and i'm wobbly too, so don't feel bad.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
Thanks Jenn.

Here is a shot of the card trick that gave me so many problems.  I still don't know how to put one together.  Now to mention what happened with the one way fabric. 

That is so weird looking even now. 

But I got it done and I'm excited about that.

When I get the Class Quilt sewing together I'll get a picture of that as well.  I don't know why I wasn't taking pictures all along. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »
tammy, that looks like it is pretty.  a little complicated, but pretty.  you will have to keep us posted.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
Jenn it's listed as confident beginner but it sure gave me what for.  I'm still not sure how it is suppose to be done.  But I'll keep you updated on everything if I can.

I'm putting the blocks together on the sampler quilt.  Next Tuesday is the final class and will put on the borders.  After that we're on our own to quilt them and then bind them.  I hope all goes well.  I've never bound a quilt before. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
i've done some basic machine quilting (stitching in the ditch kind of thing) and binding.  the binding was the easiest part for me, but... i'm sort of ocd about things like that, and by the time i got that far...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Apr 24, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
I took the freehand machine quilting class but I need a lot of practice.  In the mean while I plan to do some of these quilts using the walking foot which is much easier. 

The sampler is put together and rolled up ready to go to class.  The borders and binder material is also cut out.  I'll get a picture next time around. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: Apr 27, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
How could a 5 inch name tag cause so much trouble?  I may have to cut out another one and have my mentor show me how to do it.  i'm not getting it.

I've picked out most of the fabric for the Mt Fuji 3 panel window quilt.  That's exciting.  And I found the fabric for the music that I wanted in the Baltimore Album Memory Quilt.  That set will be very personal.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Apr 27, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Lets see so far I've decided on the following quilts for the house.

Fur Patchwork for the bed in winter.
Crazy Quilt for the bed in summer.
Stained Glass Butterfly for the 1st bedroom a/c window
Stained Glass Garden for the 1st bedroom front window
3 panel Mt Fuji Window Quilts for the Bay Window
3 Baltimore Album Memory Window Quilts for the craftroom
The sampler for the sliding glass door in the dinningroom
The Asian Influence for the Home Office. 

That only leaves the back door and the kitchen.  Both little windows.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #93 on: Apr 27, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
you are ambitious tammy.  good luck with it!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks Jenn.  I've started machine quilting the sampler.  I'm doing stitch in the ditch using my walking foot.  And I'm copying the templates for the appliqued blocks on the Mt Fuji side panels.  That's so I can work on those at the applique group meeting.  I've made an antipasto dish for that event.  So it looks like everything is going ok.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »
Well I've done the long lines on the sampler and rearranged it for the shorter rows. 

I have the first applique blocks cut out and I'm basting it 1/2 inch in so that when I needle turn it will be a nice 1/4 inch and look right.  Or at least that is the hope.

I have the 5th block for the BOM it stairs to the alter.  It looks hard but as soon as the other stuff it caught up I'll work on those. 

The applique group was wonderfully fun and I learned a lot so win win.

Next week is the Queen Bee Group (community donated quilts) and the Explorer Group (Art Quilts) both which should be exciting. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »
tammy, it sounds like you have found a niche that is working for you. i'm glad.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
I hope so too.  I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment but I'm hoping once I have a handle on some of these skills things will smooth out. 

Tomorrow I go to the quilt club.  I hope to ask my mentor if my straight line quilting is good enough for the queen bee community quilts.  If not I've still got a bunch of stuff to practice on. 

Beth has volunteered to teach me binding so many I should wait until after i learn that to worry about the community quilts.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
i agree on the binding.  i'm glad you have someone teaching you.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »
She got a spot on the schedule for surgery so we've put off the binding until she has healed up. 

I guess the third time is a charm.  I finally got the name tag finished and I think it looks pretty good.

I'm finishing the last 1/4 of the stitch in the ditch for the sampler.  I'll probably hang it and then decide if I want to do any more.  I need to see how it drapes over the window. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal