Author Topic: Your favorite cookbooks  (Read 3932 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Your favorite cookbooks
« on: Sep 26, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
Having just unearthed "the Culinary Arts Institute Cookbook" out from under some of the other books I got at the auction I just had to start this topic.  This cookbook has 4,400 recipes with more than 500 color photographs in it.  I don't think I've made that many different recipes in my entire life, what about you?

Going through that cookbook is going to keep me happy for awhile.  As far as other books that I love is the Crockpot Cookery, The Joy of Cooking, The Best Recipes from boxes, cans, labels..., And the Magic Cooking that are pamphlets that my mom had when I was a kid.  I'm short about 1/2 of them but I'm always on the outlook. 

Somewhere around here is a chinese cookbook, I'll looking forward to delving into that one too.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Your favorite cookbooks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
I love budget cookbooks. Not so much 101 things to make with hamburger but real basic foods from historical hard times. I have one called Good Food for Hard Times. It is so very basic starting from scratch buying the least possible groceries.
I also have a Mennonite one and a few others for very basic cooking. I love cooking from scratch and keeping it simple.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
I can't say I have a favorite cookbook but I like my crock pot one.  Lately I've cooked 3 new to us things in the crock pot and Johnny like them all.  Miracle!!!  If he would eat fun stuff I'd start at page 1 of a cookbook and go through the end.  Ginger loves cook books and cooks a lot of different things because her husband will eat anything.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2013, 06:25:43 AM »
Tina you would love my chicken bone recipe.  I've been saving chicken bones every since I got it and plan to make it as soon as I have enough bones. 

I'm a picky eater too.  I don't know if your husband is a macho guy or if he would enjoy sitting down after a meal and looking at recipes, maybe in the desert section of the cookbook.  You know you could start by looking and asking if something sounded good that was like something he likes and kind of coax him into it.  I've done that with several guys for just general reading.  They get interested because I'm interested and willing to share things with them.  It's just a thought.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Johnny's not macho but he won't try different foods.  I could boil him a beef wiener and give  him a piece of white bread and catsup and he'd eat it every meal.  Easy enough but it gets boring for me after a while.  I want to go back to a really great restaurant I went too with some friends but there's nothing "plain" on the menu so he won't go.  He doesn't eat fish, gravy, sauces, garlic, and isn't a fan of pork.  But he will eat a bowl of sugar frosted flakes with milk and a banana, plain rice, sometimes spaghetti, and a Subway sandwich.  I guess he's not really hard to please but it's not very exciting.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
I'd probably make a side dish that was special just for me.  Something creative just to fill that inner chef that I think is in me. 

Learning to make rice pudding was an experience for me.  And getting it just right so that Frank and I both liked it took several tries.  But then Frank liked my cooking.

My church is like your husband.  They don't care for anything I make.  So I don't go to their pot lucks anymore.  It was dispiriting.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »
Wish you could send me samples over the internet.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Yeppers, we all need to move to Dianna and Jim's house.  That way I could share my cooking and Learn Sewing and 3D crafts from our crafty people.  This internet has definite drawbacks. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
Yeppers, we all need to move to Dianna and Jim's house.

:laugh1:

I would be the president of the taste test club... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
sounds good to me.  And I'd get to listen to great music all the time. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
sounds good to me.  And I'd get to listen to great music all the time. 
yes... about that music.... :good2: it is good stuff!

i can't tell you how to get to my favorite cookbook. it was put out by the lucedale ms. first baptist church in the early 60's.  i don't have a front or back cover for it.  some of the recipes are "wrong" and you have to figure them out.  but they are all good if you have any sense when cooking.

my other favorite cook book is not available anymore either.  it is the "fanny farmer junior cookbook" that was in the school library when i was in middle school... in the mid 70s.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
It's great that you've been able to hold on to them.  So many good cookbooks got lost in my travels.  Including a southern or virginia cookbook that had the perfect zuchinni bread recipe in it.  Yum, and I'm usually not a fan. 

I've been considering how many really good recipes I can make that are outstanding.  The list isn't very long. 

Apple and Raisin Stuffed Pork Chops
Hunter Steak
Cinnamon Basil Pork Chops
Pork Pot Roast with Veggies
Libby's Pumpkin Pie
Congressional Bean Soup
Bread Pudding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal