Author Topic: Best Recipes from the backs of boxes, bottles, cans and jars cooking club  (Read 5967 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Isn't that an incredibly long title?  Well here is the deal.  Over on Paperbackswap.com they are starting a club that will use this book as the basis for a cooking club.  We'll all choose recipes from the book to make.  The first month will be the first chapter, the second month will be the second chapter and so on. 

I thought I would share with you all the recipes that I make and what others say about what they make.  I know we love to talk about food. 

I'm starting out with an antipasto and a stuffed mushroom recipe.  I've already went to the store and gotten the ingredients.  And I found out something I didn't know.

The roasted peppers have the taste I have been looking for in regular sweet peppers.  Who knew?  Anyway that was a happy discovery for me. 

I'm going to make the antipasto first.  I think I'll make it tomorrow.  By the time I get done running around I won't feel like it today. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
It's hard to get started with a cooking club when the first recipe is a failure.  I hope this isn't a sign of the times.  The olive oil that I bought Cisco has an obnoxious floral flavor.  So I'm not serving that.  The roasted peppers are terrific, the artichoke hearts aren't to my liking and the salami, black olives, tomatoes, celery and the rest is fine.

I think I will have to research the different types of olive oil  Cold press and stuff like that.  I know I did it once before but I have since forgotten what I learned.  Isn't that the way. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
I keep some extra virgin olive oil around but I am not fond of it at all.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Exactly.  I had an antipasto with the right olive oil on it once and I've been trying to find one like it every since. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
All the cooking show people say "use a good olive oil" and I always wonder what constitutes a "good" one.  Ina Garten says she uses a California olive oil.

duh, are you trying what you make out on Harriet?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Harriet has a lot of dietary restrictions but if I ever make something she can eat I'm sure I would invite her.  But she like a southern menu that I don't really cook. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
One of the other ladies made the pick pockets and liked them well enough but she is going to try them with sweet pickles next.  I'm thinking bread and butter pickles and cream cheese instead of the cheese and butter mixture.  Don't ask me when I'll get around to trying it.  I'm not at all sure.  That's on page 5 I believe. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Well I did the stuffed mushrooms on page 21.  They are good but I think they could be better.  For one the bisquick dough didn't fill the entire pan and I had it so thin it was breaking.  Then it didn't rise above the mushrooms like I was hoping.  I'm thinking either a thicker layer on the bottom or a top and bottom layer.  I'm not sure which.  Any thoughts on the matter?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
As I haven't seen stuffed mushrooms with bisquick involved, I am not sure what the problem could be. You are moving along on your book cooking. It does sound like fun.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
At the club someone mentioned that maybe the dough was suppose to act like a cracker would and not come over the top of the mushroom. If so it did what it was suppose to although more dough would have been required to fill the pan.  

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
it has been so far. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
One of the other ladies did the Bacon-Cheese Pop Corn on page 25.  She used real bacon rather than bacon bits and mentioned that it wasn't quite salty enough.  Probably because of the difference in bacons.  She liked the results overall.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
I did the beefsteak with fresh tomato sauce and didn't care for it.  The best recipe along this line that I've ever had was the hunter steak out of the My Greatest Recipe cards.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Ok today is the coventry cheese balls and we'll hope they don't send me to coverntry lol. It's just cream cheese and cheddar basically so how far wrong could I go lol.   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
sounds yummy to me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
I didn't make it.  I messed up my medications last night and got sick and the ball has to chill to finish it and I didn't have time this morning.  And the cheese just isn't going to last until next week either.  And with only 80 dollars left for the next two weeks I won't be buying any cheese at 6+ per package. 

Hopefully I have all the ingredients for the next snack I had planned to take.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Cheese balls are quick and easy. But you are right, cheese is expensive.
I hope you are better, Tammy.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
hope  you're better duh.  If you buy a roast or something big with your money you can eat off it for days and hopefully things will work out food wise.  Do you like vegetable soup?  We put ground beef in ours and both of us can eat on a big pot for several days. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Thanks guys the medicine just made me sick for the one night fortunately.  I have to remember when I take the crestar I can't take tums.  They do not react at all well with one another. 

I'm eating off a big package of chicken thighs at the moment.  I do that too.  Make a big pot of something and then eat off it for days.  Also it is cold enough that I have a bunch of chilli to keep me going.

I'm also noticing that I'm not eating as big of portions as I used too.  Which is a good thing.  It makes the food budget go farther.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Suggestions welcome...

I'm making bacon-onion pinwheels.  Can you think of anyway to 'turn up the volume?'

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Today is the day for making the pinwheels.  Good thing I woke up early.  I still need to wash the glassware and pots and pans plus bleach the counters before I can start.  Plus find a place for all the displaced decorations that need a home until christmas is over.  Wish I knew what I did with the christmas fabrics.  That's going to bother me of course.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Well the pinwheels got done today before the meeting.  The kitchen cleaning got done yesterday.  I didn't like them but everyone at the meeting seemed to like them except for Jeffry who can't have pork do to an allergy.  He let it be known that he wanted some vegetarian ones next time.  I told him to have a clementine orange had to quit his complaining lol. 

I've forgotten what's on the list for next week.  I'll have to look it up on the cooking club thread over on paperbackswap.com.

So I added cinnamon basil and it was not a good idea.  I don't think the parsley was a good idea either.  I'm thinking either brown butter rather than margarine or maybe cream cheese rather than any butter at all.  I'm just not sure which direction to go with that recipe.  Maybe no where at all. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
most anything tastes good with bacon :542:.  Poor Jeffry  :laughmao:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
yeah those ticks are nothing to play with.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
I'll tell you, my mind is becoming less useful all the time.  I went to the store and got part of this recipe and part of that recipe and don't have enough ingredients to do an entire recipe from this book.  Just as well the way the recipes have been turning out. So tuesday I'll be leaving the book behind and making the pumpkin pie and maybe the turkey.  It will depend a great deal on how I feel after the appraiser has left.  I'm really scared.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal