Author Topic: Today I smiled because...  (Read 13893 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Today I smiled because...
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:18:40 PM »
While wondering around my gardens today I found a soybean plant, complete with pods, among my roses. I amend my soil with alfalfa pellets and such pretty heavy each spring and fall, and the soybean must have been mixed in when the grain mill switched over to bag the alfalfa. Anyway, finding it pods and all made me smile...

What made you smile today in your gardens?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Re: Today I smiled because...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:48:23 AM »
I had to smile today too, cuz I've been getting a lot done in my yard, & it's very satisfying to stand back & look at what I've accomplished. (My yard can't compare to yours, Sarah, but you inspire me, & I'm aiming for the "No Visible Dirt" look... (if I can see dirt, a plant belongs there!)  :Gardeninhail:

Because the warmer weather is moving in, I've been working in the yard early in the mornings & again after dinner until it gets too dark to see what I'm doing. (Unless I haul some lights out there when I get on a roll, as I did tonight!) I've been moving plants from the "seed bed" where BG & I started flowers from seed 6 weeks ago, & they're almost getting too big (& it's almost too hot) to move them successfully, so I've got to git 'er done! I'm not particularly enjoying the cardboard that I have propped up all over the place, to shade them till they get over their shock, but it gives me a good feeling to peek in behind them & see that everything is perking up like I'd hoped they would!

I also smiled cuz BG & I were able to help somebody else out today.  One of the ladies from the garden club took me up on my offer to help with her garden while she's dealing with a back problem, so we went over to her house & thinned out her Oregano for her... it had gone nuts & was taking up about 5' of a space that she had only intended to be 2' across, & was interfering with her Dahlias. I didn't know that Oregano rooted in so solidly, but we managed to pull the excess plants out in less than an hour.  She was happy to have had that done for her, which made us happy!

I found a soybean plant, complete with pods, among my roses.
How cool! :clap: I love surprises like that... especially the FREE part! So, I take it that you'll be raising Soy Beans next year? (I would think that they'd be good to till back into the soil, even if you don't grow them for eating.) :SmileyQmarks: Are they climbers?  Are they pretty plants?  Got a pic?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007, 01:57:31 AM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
I smiled when I finished turning the compost pile.  That's a big job for me. 

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »
I smiled today because hubby spent all day weeding all the front border beds and raised islands, and didn't even make me feel guilty for not helping. The weeds had taken them over while our attentions were being spent on getting the back beds and the pool in order (I'm still fighting the pool  :Wacko:)  It sure looks a whole lot better now!

p.s.  He did get me back though. I asked a question about the sprinkler system, to answer, he turned them on - while I was standing in the line of fire! I got wet  :shock:
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
by sunsoaker:
he turned them on - while I was standing in the line of fire! I got wet

That made me smile!  :laugh1:

While in the watermelon patch today, we found eight little melons. We put grass clippings under them to get them off the ground. We, also, added some of the grass clippings under the tomatos, ;) to keep water from splashing up the dirt onto them when watering or if it rains.

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007, 08:02:18 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
Yesterday I found a bloom on my red passionflower! Sorry, no pic. Hopefully it will bloom again soon and I will catch that one with the camera.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
How exciting, Sarah! :Glee: I don't recall having seen a red one yet, but I LOVE that flower! I've been smiling every day when I've gone out to thread my passion vine through another section of the support fencing that's tacked to my arbor. The vine is totally covering 1 side of the arbor now, so I need to stand on a milk crate to keep it tucked in, across the top of the arbor frame.  I don't expect that I'll get any flowers this year, but it's growing rapidly & I'm totally thrilled that I finally have the arbor I've wanted & the plants to climb it! :clap:

I also had to crack a smile when I noticed this morning that my Agapanthus & Tiger Lilies are starting to open & that the Ginger Lily is budding! Dianna, did I see you mention somewhere that you have Ginger Lily?  Got a pic to share? I don't know what to expect, cuz they didn't give me blooms last year.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »
Woohoo, I smiled today because Ellie has been looking for a rug and today I found one for her.  I also gave her about 5 of the mum cuttings.  They were the ones that were doing the best and I hope they continue to do well.  None of the cuttings have died yet and I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm going to spend a week companioning a friends mother while they are on vacation and I'm not sure I'll be able to get back to water everything so I'm expecting bad things.  But I'll do what I can and hope for the best.  To bad virtual watering doesn't work.  I know you all would take care of my plants if you could.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:50:31 AM »
Today I woke to rain. Yay! That should cut down on the watering.

When I came home last night I noticed my sunflowers are blooming. Such a cheery sight. :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
Today I ate a breakfast of fried squash (leftovers from last night's supper). They were good even though they weren't as crisp as they were before they were microwaved... :D

Jim has the pool all ready so Angel and I will be out in the pool a little later today, when it gets hot outside. She makes me smile with her antics... :D
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:19:45 PM »
I found babies on each of my banana plants. That's so cool! :Glee:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:19:44 PM »
I found a few good sized pumpkins on my vines this morning. Looks like my porch will once again have some pretty decor for fall! :applause:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »
I got a great pic of the red passion flower yesterday!

That sure made me smile.

Offline patches

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2007, 01:19:56 AM »
I smiled today because I had a hummingbird at my window feeder.  :Glee: I usually get them at my other feeders, but this is the first one that has ever visited the feeder that is mounted on my window.  :) Geesh, I was beginning to think they didn't like it.  :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »
How great Patti!

Yesterday I walked through the rose garden in Eugene...it sure was pretty!

Offline patches

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2007, 03:45:22 PM »
Oh, Sarah, I'm really not a rose person but that is absolutely beautiful.  Everything looks so cared for and tidy.   

I smiled today because my wrens are back  :Glee:and singing their little hearts out.  I just love to hear them sing from morning until night.  :) It's such a sweet sound and they never seem to get tired.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2007, 03:50:59 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
Today I smiled because I noticed that my datura had three more blooms on it and more buds...:clap:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
Today I smiled because I noticed my little fig tree has figs on it! I wasn't even expecting any this year, after all, the tree is only 3' tall.

Offline patches

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »
Today, I smiled because some of my Surprise Lilies are blooming.  :Glee: What a fresh new look for this time of the year and they are pink!!!   ;) 

Here they are:

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 06:49:00 PM by patches »

MassMama

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
I smiled today because I got a great shot of a butterfly
*broken link removed*
And another one I am not sure if this is a moth or butterfly??
*broken link removed*

And because me and my family had a great water balloon fight that made all of us laugh and us older ones felt like kids :)
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:26:24 PM by barleychown »

MassMama

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:56:58 PM »
 :nutz: notice how it is about the same picture i took last year of my avatar!!  :nutz:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:08:20 PM »
Great pictures, Gals!

I posted my picture in the Jimson Weed Mystery topic. I smiled when I saw it was covered in even more buds... :grinnnn:

That passion flower is absolutely gorgeous, Sarah! And those little figs are soooo sweet! :)

Patti, those lilies are beautiful. Are they miniatures? :grinnnn:

Rita, your "moth" picture to me looks like it is a lizard with wings! :laughpound: That is so cool...

I smiled today when I saw the the hibiscus were still living after their recent transplant and they didn't seem to go into shock at all...
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007, 09:30:14 PM by Dianna »

MassMama

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
 :laughmao: I thought Moths had the feathers on their antani?? this lil thing had little tiny blue dots all over its wings you can almost see them.. :unsure:

Offline patches

« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
Awesome butterfly in your picture, Rita!  :Wow: Actually, I think that's probably a moth on your coneflower.  ;)  Do you know the name of your Echinacea?  :SmileyQmarks:

Patti, those lilies are beautiful. Are they miniatures?

Dianna, actually, the Surprise Lilies are Lycoris squamigera and they are not miniatures. They are also called "Naked Lady", Magic Lily" and "Resurrection Lily because of their unique way of blooming.  ;) Early in the spring all the green leaves come out and last for quite a few weeks, then the leaves die off and the ground is bare.  Many weeks later, a stem comes out of the ground (with NO leaves) and shoots up fast, then the lilies will bloom on this totally bare stem.  :Cool1: It's a sight to behold and it sometimes it almost seems to happen overnight.   :Watching: The stems and leaves you see in my pictures are the stems from some of my Stargazer lilies.    :)

MassMama

« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:27:06 PM »
I have no Idea Patti all I know is it is a purple cone flower??? If you like it I will be happy to send you seeds!! Just Pm me.. :ThumbUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal