Author Topic: Today I smiled because...  (Read 13892 times)

Offline patches

Re: Today I smiled because...
« Reply #50 on: Aug 06, 2007, 03:47:11 PM »
Thanks, Sarah! 

Well, if it's a house plant that explains why I've never seen one. :) With all the shade I have from trees around this house I don't get enough sun in the windows to grow the kind of house plants I would want. :( When I had my office there were lots of windows so I had plants everwhere.   :ThumbUp:

Okay, it's a vining plant, I never would have guesed that. :smileyNo: So the picture you posted is only one cluster of little flowers on a vine?   :ScratchHead: 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: Aug 08, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
Today I smiled because my front flowerbeds are starting to perk up again after being baked for the last few weeks.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #52 on: Aug 08, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
Wow, Sarah, that is great news!!!  Geesh, maybe mine aren't going to be a lost cause after all.  :smile: I've been keeping them watered but they still look very stressed. :Crybaby2:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline patches

« Reply #53 on: Aug 11, 2007, 10:51:19 PM »
Today I smiled because I saw some of my Goldfinches at the back of the yard feasting on my Sunflowers and Euchinacea. :Yahoo:  I've never seen them feeding anywhere else in my yard, :smileyNo: except at their finch feeders which are full of the Nyjer seed that they love.  Geesh, if they like these flowers so much maybe I can attract even more of them.   :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:35:47 AM »
I smiled because either my landlord or his brother brought me a load of prunings from some of their trees.  It's great for keeping the compost pile areated(sp). 

Offline Patty S

« Reply #55 on: Aug 16, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »
I smiled (really big) when I saw some Nigella blooming among my melons today! :Yahoo:

Nigella (Love-in-a-Mist) is my favorite flower, & it usually blooms for me in May... I've never seen it in August here! It either blew in from my Nigella bed during the winter, or the birds moved the seeds... but I do believe that when summer is over, I'm going to broadcast some seeds every few weeks, to see if I can't get continuous blooms all season next year!

(pssst... Patti ~ No nickel.... clothespin!) :grinnnn:

Offline patches

« Reply #56 on: Aug 18, 2007, 11:14:11 PM »
(pssst... Patti ~ No nickel.... clothespin!) 

Okay, Patty, I guess that will work in a pinch!!!  :ScratchHead:  What happened, did you finally run out of nickels? :rofl1: :laughpound:

Today I smiled because I finally got my air conditioner fixed!!!  :Yahoo: Just in time too, because the temperatures started creeping up again today.  :hot: Boy, I can't believe how really good this feels after suffering the last two weeks.  One of my friends called her uncle when she found out I was without air conditioning.  This is what he used to do before he retired, so he came out and fixed it right away.  :Glee:  Geesh, it sure is nice to have good friends.   ;)   :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Aug 20, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »
I'm so glad you were able to get it fixed.  I had no idea you were without a/c.  That is terrible.  I'm smiling for your good news. 

I too have good friends.  Who are very patient with me when I mess up.  Which with my memory happens often.  Sunday a friend came and got me for church when I forgot that my usual ride was out of town.  We were late but we were there.  Friends are a great blessing.

Offline patches

« Reply #58 on: Aug 21, 2007, 02:29:17 AM »
Thanks, Duh!  It was pretty bad when we were having record setting temperatures in the triple digets, :hot:  but it's all okay now. :Whis:   

Yes, friends are wonderful!  About six years ago a neighbor gave my Mom a stepping stone that read, "Friends are flowers that never fade"!  What a beautiful  thought.  :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Aug 21, 2007, 04:22:26 AM »
it sure is a beautiful thought.

I'm up very early this morning with the beginnings of a head cold.  Great huh.  Maybe it's just congestion, hope so anyway. 

Offline patches

« Reply #60 on: Aug 21, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
Geesh, Duh, this is not the time of the year to have a cold.  :smileyNo:  I hope you get to feeling better after you're up and about. 

I'm smiling today because I get to meet some more of my students in the three classes I have today.  :smile:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Aug 23, 2007, 06:48:11 AM »
I hope your day was all you could have hoped for and more patches. 

For me I could feel better but at least it isn't real hot out.  This afternoon a friend is taking me to the new laundrymat.  I definitely need to go. 

Offline patches

« Reply #62 on: Aug 24, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
Duh, I'm glad it's now so hot today where you are.  We had some severe storms come through this area so I'm hoping it will cool things off.  Geesh, going to the laundrymat doesn't sound like anything to smile about, especially in these days.  :smileyNo: Last year, my dryer went out and I had to go to the laundrymat, so I went equipped with lots of dimes and quarters.   :unsure: Geesh, nobody told me that I needed to stop at the bank and apply for a loan or take plenty of dollers.  :SmileyFit:  What a shock!!!!  :scaredy: I saw several people there with baskets and baskets of wash and I don't know how they can afford it.  :dunno:  I guess my age is showing, but I remember when you could dry a fulll load of clothes for a dime and now you have to keep feeding the machine with quarters every 10 minutes.  :yikes:

I smiled today because God smiled on me with plenty of rain!!!   :Glee:
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007, 05:42:25 PM by patches »

Offline patches

« Reply #63 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
Well, my gardens look terrible with everything burning up from the heat,  :crying:  but there actually was a bright spot in my day.   :ThumbUp: I smiled today because the rescue volunteer came and picked up the baby squirrels that fell out of my friend's tree and they are going to be okay!!!  :Yahoo:   :Glee:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »
that's fantastic to hear.

actually things worked out very well.  A friend came over and took several loads of my laundry home with her and did them and then sent them back with your husband.  They are truely sweet people.

Now I only have the blankets to do and another friend is comming over to give me a ride to do those.  I am very lucky in my friends.  They are a blessing.

Offline patches

« Reply #65 on: Aug 30, 2007, 01:53:48 AM »
That's really great, Duh!  :ThumbUp:  Friends are like flowers in the garden of life.  ;)  I've got some wonderful friends too, and they are a blessing!!!

By the way, I checked with the volunteer today and the baby squirrels are doing great!   :smile:   

Offline Patty S

« Reply #66 on: Sep 16, 2007, 11:58:06 PM »
I smiled today cuz I heard one of my most favorite sounds... jar lids pinging as they seal on freshly canned food! :Yahoo: I taught BG how to can plums, using the "Open Kettle" method. It's easy, but sure can be sticky when you have an 8 year-old helper!

Offline patches

« Reply #67 on: Sep 17, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
Hey, Patty, it looks like you've got quite the little helper, and BG is doing a good job of canning plums.  :ThumbUp: How come you're not making plum jam?  :ScratchHead:   

Offline Patty S

« Reply #68 on: Sep 17, 2007, 03:04:19 AM »
Patti, I'm not making plum jam cuz I dont like plum jam!

If I were to make any kind of jam at all, it would be strawberry. However, there's a "fly in the ointment" there, cuz my summer assistant has a strange reaction whenever she picks strawberries or tomatoes for me; her forearm becomes an invountary muscle, & everything goes directly into her mouth, so she can't seem to get them from the garden to the house! (She claims that she's just checking them to make sure they aren't poison!) :thslap:

Offline patches

« Reply #69 on: Sep 17, 2007, 03:10:41 AM »
Geesh, Sis, plum jam is my favorite type of spread for toast because it's just a little tart, instead of sweet.  ;)  Patty, I can understand your assistant's strange reacton to picking strawberries, because I've known a lot of people who seem to have that same problem.   :rofl1:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:25:42 AM »
A couple of us got together and canned peaches and peach butter.  It is wonderful. 

And it is definitely something to smile about. 

I gave one jar away already to a friend that helped me with my grocery shopping.  I feel better when I can give something back even though it isn't very much.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #71 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:45:56 AM »
Peach butter, really, i have never ever heard of Peach Butter.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Sep 19, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
It's the same as jelly just decrease the amount of sugar so that it doesn't set up as solid.  Then add spices to taste.  I like a combination of cinnamon, cloves and ginger.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #73 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »
Oh wow, that does sound yummy and with those spices...even better!!

Thank~~!

Offline patches

« Reply #74 on: Sep 19, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »
Oh, Duh, your peach butter sounds awesome.  :Wow: I would probably love something like that because I like the texture of apple butter and peaches are one of my favorite fruits.  ;)

I smiled today because I got a lot of things done out in the yard this morning.   :ThumbUp: Then this afternoon a friend came in from out of town and we went out for lunch.  I had a great time, and we had a chance to catch up on things.  :Whis:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal