Author Topic: Finding the recipe when I want it  (Read 8543 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Finding the recipe when I want it
« on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
I have so many cookbooks now that I can't find what I want when I want it.  And I don't want to put them all in the computer.  So I decided to make an index.

I'm using a spread sheet and so far it has 18 sheets in it.  One sheet for each division.  Like appetizers, breakfast foods, food storage, and the like.  I've put in about 400 recipes titles so far, plus where they are located, the type of recipe, and I have a second for remarks.  I've also color coded my all time favorites in red.  Easy to see them. 

I'm hoping this will motivate me to do more cooking. 

My only worry is if this file crashes like the library catalog did how awful that would be.  I still haven't gotten that put back together. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Finding the recipe when I want it
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
I know that problem well. I have recipes galore.  I hope you can save them, Tammy. Have you thought about backing it up on a flash drive or something?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I've been told it is the size of the file that causes it to be vulnerable to crashing.  It's 228kb right now.  I'm thinking of breaking it down to each type of recipe and putting them in a folder.  One file for appetizers, one for brunches, one for breakfasts...that kind of thing. 

Then they would still have to be backed up.  I'll probably use the online backup website that jennifer recommended. 

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
You can get 32 meg thumb drive pretty reasonable these days.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Is a thumb drive the same as a flash drive?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »
I think so duh.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
the file is 576 kb now.  I'm going to add the recipes from the slow cooker cookbook next since I know they are marvelous.  Glad I'm just doing the titles, location, type and remarks rather than the whole recipes this time.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »
I separated the the index into types of recipes; breakfast, lunch, beef dinners, poultry dinners ect.  So that there is less change of it crashing.  Or at least that is my hope.

I have all the recipes from my books, the crock pot cookbook and now I'm working on the New York Times Cook Book.  That is a large sucker but not the largest one I have.  I'm thinking that I'll weed out those seafood recipes that I'll probably never use.  I just can't see spending the time when there will be little chance that I'll every use them. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
Thanks!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
I've taken recipes from friends because they are so forceful in wanting to give them to me and I've never used them.  Sometimes it's hard to tell a person no.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
that's true.  And tastes aren't always the same. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:12:59 PM »
around here, you have to ask for a recipe, and sometimes beg.  and then, if you are lucky (big if) they actually give you the real thing.  sometimes they leave something out, or think you should know a step and you don't.  but i do like to collect recipes, if it is something i like.  and i LOVE church cookbooks.  they have the best recipes in them.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
That's true Jenn.  I was telling Johnny last week that I think my used to be mother in law didn't give me all her secrets for freezing corn.  She fixed the best corn in the world and told me all she did was cut it off the cob, put it in containers, then put it in the freezer, then dump it in boiling water with salt and pepper.  Mine either was freezer burnt or didn't taste any where near as good as hers.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »
If there is one thing I remember from my previous life, it is how to freeze corn. We froze enough one year to fill 3 freezers and was giving corn away. Anyhow, that ain't it. It has to be blanched after taking off the cob, before freezing it. And yes, farm grown, fresh frozen corn is the best stuff. Nothing off the shelf comes close to it.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
I don't want to hijack duh's thread but Barb for how long do you blanch it?  Then do you shock it in ice water?  I know she did that and I asked about it several times and she either wouldn't answer or say it's not necessary.  She even came to my house a few times to try and help me but it was never right.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
I don't remember shocking it. And I really don't remember how long it was blanched. We would take it off the cob, put in a pan and put in the oven for a bit. Don't want it fully cooked, but it would come out slightly like cream corn but not so much (we would rake the cob after removing the kernels to create the 'cream'). Take it out, let it cool then put in freezer bags (ziplock types) and freeze. Best corn I ever ate. We ate on it for 2 years.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
Oh I thought you meant  blanching as in hot water.  Thanks.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »
We called it blanching, but we did it in the oven.. I know, I looked around online and couldn't find where anyone did it the way we did.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
blanching requires that the water be at a boil and that it return to a boil.  Then take it out and shock it to stop the cooking process.  Yes harvest it and immediately prepare it for freezing.  To minimize freezer burn put the bags in the refrigerator to cool down for two hours before putting it in the freezer.  This decreases the size of the ice crystals that can form that causes the freezer burn.  But it should still be used within 4 months for the best taste.

My mom always froze the corn on the cob.  But then that's the way the family liked it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Do I want to add a separate veal section to my index?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2016, 06:27:05 AM »

The index got stalled in deserts.  Who knew there were this many and how many subcategories and how much work it would be to subcategory something that was already indexed.  And then there is the thought that these are recipes that I couldn't eat even if I made them.  Hum, maybe I can leave them out all together.  Or just ignore them until I am bored at some future time.  What do you think about recipe types that just aren't your thing?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
In my depression era books, there are very few desserts in them. I would leave them for last or give them up.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
I think that would be best.  Thanks for the feedback.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal