Author Topic: spoonbread, tell me about it  (Read 3093 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
spoonbread, tell me about it
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
I found a recipe for this and made it.  It was not successful.  I'm not sure what I was expecting maybe something like corn bread?  What is spoonbread and what should it taste like?  Do you have any good spoonbread recipes that you would be willing to share.  Is it like southern cornbread where you one to use one particular type of cornmeal?  I know I have a lot of questions.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: spoonbread, tell me about it
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
Unsuccessful in what way?  Taste?  I've never made it at home but there is a place in Boone, NC that serves it and what they call spoonbread has more of souffle' type or creamy center.  It has a cornbread taste but a totally different texture than what I'm used to for cornbread.  I think Paula Deen makes spoonbread.  Do you have one of her cookbooks?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Yes, I think of a spoonbread as very much like a pudding. Not a milky, creamy Jello brand pudding but a baked pudding. And have seen flour based ones as well as cornmeal based.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
That was probably the problem.  Do you think the Paula Deen ones were good?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
No idea about Paula but you guys aren't going to believe this.  I was just talking to a school nurse who lives in a little town called Waxhaw that is about 35 miles from here.  She was telling me about a new restaurant there called Cafe Bliss and telling me to go and try the spoonbread.  I'm not kidding.  She told me it's to die.  I couldn't believe it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »
Well if you go see if they will give the recipe to you, lol.  I'd love to try it but it is too far for me to travel. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal