Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 11956 times)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Food Storage
« on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
I have always made like a squirrel and stored foods for emergencies. Maybe it was living on the largest, most active fault in the world. Maybe it was paranoia, in general.
In the 80's I had a personal financial collapse. My kids and I ate well for about 3 months on what I had socked away with no income at all ( and my fridge/freezer gave out at the same time). I had shopped once a month for our basics. If I purchased 4 cans of green beans, I put the new ones away in my stash and brought out four older ones, etc. We ate off of those and all of the other stuff for those 3 months along with fresh fruits from our neighboring trees.
But a  over a year ago, almost two, I became really frustrated with the rising prices on everything. And with all of the additives and GMO's added to what we are spoon fed. I began researching alternatives so I could hedge my options for the future. I am trying to plant food if I can keep the critters from devouring it before I can. When I find a sale on things we like, I am trying to preserve it as much as possible.
I love the internet. I have been educating myself like crazy and it is almost an obsession to find the best nutrition at the best prices. Along with the ways to be able to use it all without power if needed. So alternative cooking options and food prep options.
So I have collected about 2 tons of food stored away in every free corner of my house. All with an eye out for nutrition. I don't want to live on just rice and beans for an extended amount of time. Although I do have at least a couple hundred pounds of each all sealed up for long term storage. And I figure if things really go south in a hurry, I will be sharing my stores with others
Jenn got into it a little with me and we chat about it in the evenings along with fun family things. Last night I was trying to describe the difference of freeze dried and dehydrated foods.
The best nutrition is in fresh fruits and vegetables.
Second best is in freeze dried.
Followed by dehydrated, frozen and canned in that order.
Freeze drying is a more expensive process than dehydrating. And not something easily done in a home setting It leaves food without water but not all shriveled up like a raisin and more nutrtion left for you. So more expensive to buy. But the savings in time and nutrition feels right to me. To rehydrate dehydrated food, like apples for instance, takes soaking in water at least over night or boiling for awhile and they are still kind of rubbery. Freeze dried apples will soak up water in minutes and be much more like fresh apples. Nice to add to salads.
So I have collected both freeze dried and dehydrated foods in my storage plans.
Here is a link to some basics of being prepared. I have bought some of my foods from this site but not all. http://beprepared.com/blog/8999/if-youre-new-to-preparedness/
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
So all of that being said, freeze dried food are new to me for the most part.
The first I had was freeze dried ice cream sandwiches. They make an ice cream sandwich and put it into a little white paper wrapper much like you would buy them in your grocery freezer. They slit that paper and put it in their super freezer machine and it sucks all of the moisture out of it. They seal those into pouches to take camping with you or in #10 cans for your long term storage. I bought a couple of pouches in Walmart camping section to try out. So awesome. It is hard and can be slightly broken due to transit issues but it comes out of the package pretty much full sized. It tastes lust like my beloved ice cream sandwich without the brain freeze. It rehydrates in your mouth to creamy deliciousness.
Next on my to-try-list was a freeze dried meal that I bought on a super sale. Mountain House spaghetti with meat sauce. They take fully a cooked meal and put it into their freeze dry machine and it comes out all dry and lightweight. I opened the can, put a cup of the mix in a bowl, poured on a cup of boiling water and stirred, covered, waited for 10 minutes and stirred and ate.
Pretty good. But also pretty expensive. And a bit too much salt in general like most convenience foods. Good to have on hand but I am not stocking up so much of the full meal type things. Just a few for the times I don't want to or cannot cook regularly.
Next opened can was sliced straw berries. All I can say is awesome! They are great dried, or added to the kids oatmeal or just rehydrated (less than a minute) and eaten with sugar or not much like fresh.
I am sold on them. I have purchased mostly #10 cans and they have multiple servings; between 10 and 24 depending on the content and serving size. They can be stored in the sealed cans for 25-30 years. Once opened they store for about a year.
I have also purchased quite a bit of FD meats. I have not tried those yet. But I have some pouches that have a shorter storage life span that I will be trying soon. FD meat is usually cooked and only needs soaking for about 10 minutes. It is pretty expensive stuff like the full meals are.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
Along with food, I have collected alternative food prep and cooking. For Christmas, my older son gave me 2 aluminum airplane food containers. I was thrilled. When you look at camping ovens you will see a small box to set up on your camp stove that may hold a single loaf of bread if you are lucky or a single 8X8 pan of corn bread. I have two bigger, boxes that will hold multiple shelves for baking multiple loaves or rolls or muffins, right on top of my charcoal grill.
I have hand crank wheat and grain grinders for the 800+ hundred pounds of grains I have stored. I have a couple of solar ovens, water filters, and fun stuff like hand crank blender and food processor along with my mandolin. If I have no power, we can still eat.
I have collected cast iron dutch ovens in larger sizes  for years. I love cooking and even the planning of it all.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »
Interesting.  Sounds like you will be fat and sassy in the even of an emergency.  I plan on doing some canning this year.  I did it in my previous life.

Are the strawberries you're talking about in an actual can?  I've never seen strawberries in a can.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
They are in cans, like this;
http://www.thereadystore.com/saratoga-farms-strawberry-slices-10-can
There are 28 half cup servings in there. The contents weigh only 8 ounces.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2014, 01:05:34 PM by Tina »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
Good grief that IS expensive.  The other week my niece was talking about buying oranges in a can and I thought that was odd too.  Do you find these at your grocery store?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Yes, mandarin oranges are available canned. Some of the food sites have FD oranges as well. But I have an orange tree that makes me very happy.
That 8 ounces of strawberries will rehydrate to about 14 cups of lovely sliced berries in less minutes, Sheri. And in the can will last quite a few years. I am ready for a catastrophe.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
Tina, I am glad you started this topic. I have become interested in the last couple years in food storage for catastrophic events. Realized that I am in no way, shape, or form prepared for anything after the power outages around here in the past few weeks. Even though we didn't lose power, I need to make like a squirrel and start putting actions to thoughts... :grinnnn:

Please share any other tips on this subject. I know you have probably done more research than I have and I would love to hear your input on what works and what doesn't... :compose:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:12:46 PM »
First rule of food storage is "store what you eat and eat what you store." Do not go out and fill a room full of wheat berries, if you aren't going to want to spend the time grinding them and baking bread.
Anything you normally buy canned or packaged dry, buy extra. Just a little at a time if you are on a tight budget. Rotate through your cabinets and eat the older stuff first. Put the newer in the back.
Buy zip lock bags for your dry goods. And try to keep everything as airtight as possible except your  package of flour, etc that you are currently using. It will make it all last much longer on your shelves. Crackers will retain more "crack". I use ziplock type bags for my items I will rotate through fairly quickly (within a year) but I use my vacuum sealer on things that may hang around longer (my 50+ pounds of pasta)This will also help keep critters at bay, like roaches or grain moths or ants.
Dianna, you want some very quick things  on hand that can be eaten now and cold if need be, like your favorite baked beans. And can openers, hand crank. Or canned ravioli is a favorite here. And can openers.
I worried about bread when I first began really storing food. But with all of the alternative cooking methods I have collected together, I am much less worried. But I have canned brown bread (I love this stuff), and can openers, biscuit mix canned for long term storage and crackers and things until I could need to break into my buckets of wheat berries and grinders.
Butter and cheese comes in cans too.
My favorite sites for info and to purchase my freeze dried foods are:
http://beprepared.com/#default
http://www.thereadystore.com/
http://www.augasonfarms.com/
I also shop at the Costco site as they have an emergency food section. And sell things from Augason Farms that are less than at the site. And I compare some prices with some things on Amazon. But Amazon does not give enough info to really buy a lot and feel safe fore me. I have no idea how old that food actually is. Walmart has a section too.
If you love spam, buy some to store. I like canned hams. So I have 6 one pound ones that don't need chilling socked away with an expiration of 2018 or so. Those will make my beans much nicer to eat if I need to dig into them.
When you have options, glass is better than plastic. So extra ketchup or mayo or anything I have is in glass if possible.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
And, Dianna, I wanted to say that you are not alone. The sites I listed above are hopping with business right now. People got a wake up call with this winter they have had. i was ordering something that was taking a long time over a year ago. I asked what was up and the lady on the other end in chat said that Super storm Sandy had them working overtime. I have an order out right now from Feb 14 that has not yet been shipped. I am sure that is because of how much business is happening. I'm not sweating it. It will come in its own time. I'm not in a hurry.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
I'm thinking of getting dehydrated eggs for my food storage.  I do love a cake from time to time.  What else would powdered eggs be good for?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
duh, I'll bet you could make muffins, cornbread, I'll bet you can substitute them in almost anything.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
You can sub for nearly anything other than boiled eggs. So stir fries, all baking and even just scrambled on your plate beside your bacon. Make your own egg (mc)muffin. Or eggnog without the salmonella worries.
 Funny that you said that because Augason Farms has a daily special and eggs are it for today at 25% off.
http://www.augasonfarms.com/Dried-Whole-Eggs-approx.-71-eggs-10-Can-UPC-00946-90161
I was dithering on a purchase. I do have 18 cans of powdered eggs already though, so I'll pass for now.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
You can also use these eggs to make your own noodles and pasta.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
Cool ideas Tina thankyou.  I won't be buying until March

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
I will keep an eye out for Ovaeasy egg crystals sales for March for you. Those have the best reviews of any dried egg products on the market for taste as scrambled or omelets, etc. Closest to fresh than any other. And they work for baking as well. And holding your meatloaf together too.
A very worthwhile investment. I like that they come in a #10 can but are divvied up into airtight sealed packages inside. A dozen per package and six packages per can. That extends the shelve life after the can is opened. You can pull a single package out to use and put the plastic lid back on and the can on the shelf for a few years if needed. Most #10 cans are loose powder and once opened should be used in a few months.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »
Ovaeasy - great name.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
Tina, do you can or freeze stuff?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
I do freeze a lot. My freezers are stuffed. But, if the power is out for an extended time, we would have trouble eating all of that before it spoils. Even with my generator. You can only store so much gas.
The only canning I have done is canning dried goods.  I have quite a bit of my dehydrated vegetables and some fruits that I have put into jars and sealed with my food saver.
I have a tiny kitchen that doesn't leave much elbow room for working in. I am working on improving my space by creating an outdoor canning area. Alternative cooking. I do have the equipment to water bath can and pressure can.
Using the food saver on dried goods in jars adds a couple of years to the shelf life of things. I buy seasonal candy on sale after holidays and seal it up in jars. We just ate a bunch of Reese's PB hearts from last Valentines day from 2012 to make room to seal up more sale candy. It is amusing that fully half of my current jars are full of  things like candy, m&m's and chocolate chips and other fun stuff. They would elevate the mood in a serious situation. I should be able to bake.
I also buy bulk spices and seal those into smaller jars for more shelf life.
At an Asian market I like to go to, I can purchase dehydrated foods that would be more to buy fresh and dry myself. Multiple types of mushrooms and colorful onions. Sealing those into jars extends the shelf life. I can add interest to soups and stews and even salads.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
I am not finding any good sales on the Ovaeasy eggs this month. I will still point it out if I do find it in the future. By the hundreds of reviews I have read, those are the best eggs for eating and for cooking.
Unless I find a great sale on freeze dried meat, I am done buying any more for now. It is expensive, like between $50-$60 for a #10 can. Those hold an average of 24 half cup servings each. so $2 per serving or more. Used in soups or stews I would plan on less than a half cup serving so it would cost less. But I have found sales this past month or so and have plenty stocked up. In a wide variety of options.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
I'm the emergency preparedness coordinator for my branch so I'll be researching this subject.  Thanks for starting it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »
Awesome, Tammy! What are the parameters of your job? And can I help with any answers I may have culled from my research?
The LDS has pretty much shut down their canneries due to gov't harassment. You can still purchase some basics but not can your own in their facilities. It is sad.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »
Well my Relief Society president loves little hints and tips that she can give at the end of the meeting.  Things that pertain to keeping food storage useable and interesting.  For example how to areate stale water by pouring it from one container to another to get rid of the stale taste.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
Things like to lay a wooden spoon across the top of a pot of boiling pasta to keep it from boiling over? Or a cotton mop head will provide many hours of wick for homemade candles, wax or oil? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
Yes exactly.

I have another question.  Can the powdered eggs be substituted for eggs in breakfast drinks?  I would think they would be safer but would they taste ok and incorporate well?

Thank you for all your help on these.

I'm currently working out of this cookbook that is called making your own groceries.  It is perfect for food storage type recipes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal