Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 12007 times)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:11:36 AM »
Yes, powdered eggs can be subbed into those recipes. They would mix easily in a blender and I would begin with a light hand on them until you got the taste right for you.
Usually, one tablespoon of egg powder equals one egg with a couple tablespoons of water.
A caution on the egg products available.
There is pure egg powder that is nothing but dehydrated whole eggs.
There is scrambled egg mix which is the egg powder mixed with milk powder and maybe other ingredients.
There is egg white powder which is pure with no yolks. Good for meringues and baking, etc.)
There is freeze dried scrambled eggs which are fully cooked scrambles that are freeze dried and just adding hot water and waiting 5 minutes or so are ready to eat. Those are not so good for any other cooking or baking applications. But great for quick eating or camping, etc.
I need to look up that book to see if it is something I would like, Tammy. My most recent acquisition is a book on preserving meat, dairy and eggs.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
Let me know what you think of it.  It sounds like something I should probably read. 

My latest acquisition is a meat slicer.  I'm looking forward to making my own lunch meat.  And making more tv dinners.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
Is it a hand crank slicer or electric? My husband would pick up any kind of meat slicer he saw. I have a few electric and a couple of hand crank slicers.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
This one is electric and it has the guard.  I can't wait to try it.  I'll either get a turkey roast or a beef roast next payday.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Cool! Do you know what brand?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Food has always fascinated me. Not just preparing or eating it but the history.
Protein is made up of amino acids. There are a certain number of amino acids  that need to be eaten by us. The only foods that contain all of the aminos we need are in meats, dairy and eggs.
Protein can be found in other foods like beans and wheat, nuts and corn,  rice, etc. But in none of these is it complete with all of the amino acids needed. Your body cannot use it as a protein and will starve to death even if you fill up on any one thing constantly. They need to be mixed up together in a meal to be used.
The history part. Ancient civilizations gathered corn or beans and found it dried well for winter storage. They found that they had plenty but were sickening and dying by the end of winter. Starving to death. Eventually they found that mixing those beans and corn  into the same meal corrected that problem. The American natives made succotash. The Incans made beans on corn tortillas. The pioneers made beans and cornbread. The Orient went with rice and beans. Ancient  Europeans put beans on bread. All the parts of our ancient societies found that to thrive, they needed to mix it up.
You can eat a glob of peanut butter on a spoon but your body cannot use it as it is needed. It uses it like a fat. But put it on a piece of bread and you have something good going.
But don't shun the fats. You will starve to death without those too. There are so many parts of nutrition that are fat soluble like vitamin D. So go ahead and butter that cornbread or add a piece of fatback or ham hock to those beans. It is more than flavoring. It is a necessity to health.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »
Tina, that's contrary to what all these diet people say.  Suzanne Somers for one and I think Marilu Henner for another and I can't remember who all.  They are against food combining saying that certain gastric enzymes are released to digest certain foods and if you combine foods at a meal they won't be properly digested.  I've never understood that theory though because beans are considered a carb and a protein so why can't you mix them in real life.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #32 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
That didn't come out correctly because I'm agreeing with you Tina.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »
There are going to be hundreds of people disagreeing with this, I guess. I do like the history lessons learned by so many, though. So I will do it my way. So far my stomach has been kind to me and released all of the enzymes I need to digest what I put into it.
Like I never bought into the healthy oils campaign. I tried canola oil and tossed it out. I did begin to use less fats in general. And I rarely eat out. All of California is, by law, healthy oils in restaurants and it is yucky. But I stick  to real butter or coconut oil or something like to do what I need to do with my food. I feel that even lard is more 'real' food than margarine is. I am trying to find an olive oil that I like. I am not too fond of it in general.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #34 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
Margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. I never use margarine. I ALWAYS use real butter.  If I must use oil, it is normally canola. But I don't use much in the way of oils. And I don't agree with limiting meats. When I ate low carb, I ate a LOT of beef and pork, and I was the healthiest I had been in years. I really need to get back to eating that way.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
I think it matters more on how you feel when eating low carb. I would miss my carbs so badly, I'd feel like death warmed over. I don't eat much meat. It is more a seasoning than a main part of most of my meals. But
I feel good and my weight is fairly steady.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Low carb doesn't mean meat only. Done right you eat a lot of veggies too. Nutrient dense, lower carb veggies, which leaves out one of my favorites - corn. lol The point being, meat, in my opinion, is not bad for you.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
No, it is not bad for you. I believe in meat.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
It's a Rival meat slicer.

Special diets are a pain.  I believe moderation in all things is much more effective for me.  I may loose slowly but I do loose without feeling deprived. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #39 on: Apr 02, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
How is the meat slicing for you, Tammy?
I plan on using more of my food storage now. I want to know how to use the newer to me things and get my little family use to eating it too as well as cycling the older items out.  And money is tight this month with property taxes due. So it is a good time to try out things already on hand. When money loosens up in a month or so, I will replace what we liked if needed.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
I've been to chicken to try it yet.

I know what you mean about using your food storage and getting your family used to recipes that use it.  I'm building a cook book for my church that focuses on food storage recipes and ideas.  If I ever get done with it maybe you'll get a copy for christmas.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #41 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
Today will be a chicken and rice stir fry. I have bunches of chicken to use up. I have frozen veggies and want to lower the amount in my deep freeze  so as to defrost.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »
I ordered the ovaeasy powdered eggs.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  Do you have any suggestions about the powdered butter?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #43 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
I have #10 cans of powdered butter on hand. But it has its limits. It is good for adding a buttery flavor to some baking and things but it won't add the richness and moisture of real butter. It does add some vitamin A and calcium.
I have several cans of this in my food storage.
http://beprepared.com/red-feather-creamery-butter-12-oz-can.html
I also have ghee which is canned butter with the milk solids removed (longer storage life and higher smoking point). I want to try canning some of my own butter too for when I find it on sale.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #44 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
I have read about people using ghee before and was curious about what it was. Thank you, Tina. Now I know it is something I would eat... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #45 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
You have had seafood with clarified butter for dipping? That is ghee.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #46 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
I don't do seafood, Tina. Lobster makes me sick to my stomach... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #47 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »
I am sorry, Dianna. That was more of an example than a dietary suggestion. I don't eat much lobster because the price makes my tummy sad.
Freeze dried meats are available in a few main types, white chicken dices (or crumbles sometimes), white turkey dices, beef dices or ground beef and ham dices and sausage crumbles. It is also fairly expensive at between $50-$70 per #10 can (18-24 servings depending on the serving size). I looked at eating just those options over the long term and got pretty bored just thinking about it.
Then I saw pork chops. They are freeze dried raw and after sitting in water for about 10 minutes, need cooking. When I could afford some (About $60 per can, I think) I bought some of those to add interest to our options. Next I found salmon fillets. Those are also raw and need cooking after rehydration. But I added those when they were on sale for about $20 a can. 
This month Emergency Essentials has cooked shrimp in a #10 can, freeze dried.  It is a new product and about $90 per can of between 300-500 in each. But the sale is about $40 per can and I ordered 2. Those arrived today and I am thrilled to have them to add to the variety of foods on hand. I can make stir fries and gumbo and toss some into salads and.......
Other than the freeze dried meat included in the freeze dried spaghetti, I have never tried freeze dried meat. I have some less expensive packages to try and will report back on those as I use them. I do not want to open my bigger cans until it becomes necessary. Or until I worry that they will outlive their 30 year life expectancy. But the smaller packages were my first meat purchase and don't have as long of a shelf life; 5 -10 years or so. I want to practice using them so I'll have better ideas when I may really need to cook with this stuff.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #48 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »
Oh, I forgot the FD flame broiled beef patties that I got a couple cans of. They also have meatballs, FD, that I haven't yet bought. I love variety.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Apr 09, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
Thank you Tina for the heads up on the butter.  I'll definitely go with the rather than the flakes. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal