Author Topic: Food Storage  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Food Storage
« Reply #50 on: Apr 09, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
Eventually, maybe you can do both, Tammy.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: Apr 13, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
tammy, i have (or had) a food slicer that i used so much i nearly burned it up.  i don't know where it is now, but have wished for it a few times.  it is great.  i used it for frozen or near frozen meat to make stir fry or jerky, for cold cooked meats for sandwiches, and for other things that i am drawing a blank on right now.  but please, please, please, use the guard.  it will slice your fingers right off if you do not.  there is a reason the guards on the professional machines cannot be removed.

i also have a manual slicer (mandolin) that i use sometimes for veggies.  it doesn't work so well for meats or hard veggies (think sweet potatoes) as the blade is stationary.  i do not have a crank slicer.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #52 on: Apr 13, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »
I have 2 Rival slicers and as I was just looking for the brand, I found that I have two hand crank slicers too. I have not done as many larger roasts as I did when John was alive. But I am very glad to have these options.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:40:51 AM »
I have the flank steak for dehydrating now I'm looking for a nice marinade.  I may have already said that.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #54 on: Apr 21, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
Keep it simple, Tammy.
I am adding dried spinach to my food stores today. I cannot eat much spinach and have it stay with me. But I can in little bits. So I am happy to add this option to our someday nutrition.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014, 12:05:25 PM by Tina »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
Do you have a good recipe for kale crisps?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #56 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
Do you mean dried kale chips, Tammy?
Here are six recipes for a dehydrator:
http://www.dehydratorreview.net/articles/kale-roundup-six-recipes-dehydrated-kale-chips
And one for the oven:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe.html
All of these can be mix and matched according to what sounds best to you.
My favorite kale chip was sprinkled with dry ranch dressing mix.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
I was reading that kale will take on other flavors well, sort of like chicken.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #58 on: Apr 25, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
I have never tried it with anything but kosher salt or with ranch dressing  dry mix. And the time I dried it, I left off the olive oil because I just don't like it. So it was super crumbly. So I will try it with another type of oil next time.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:03:48 AM »
I just used olive oil and salt the time I tried.  I will try again with the ranch powder.  That sounds good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
I finally got the recipes off of the site.  i look forward to trying them.  They look good.  i'd love to hear your feedback if you do any of them.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #61 on: Jun 08, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
Along with my food storage, I have collected other things. I mentioned alternative cooking options. I can cook with propane as long as that holds out on a couple of different stoves. I can cook with charcoal on my grill and even use wood in it. I can cook on my wood stoves. Plus solar ovens and other fun stuff.
I have collected together sterno-type fuel cans and liquid paraffin to make my own liquid candles. I bought cotton mop heads to use for wicks at some future date.
A depression era grandmother came up with this most missed list: "nails, garden seeds, wire, string, sewing supplies, clothes pins, bleach, disinfectant, and vanilla."
It is an interesting list.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: Jun 08, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »
...A depression era grandmother came up with this most missed list: "nails, garden seeds, wire, string, sewing supplies, clothes pins, bleach, disinfectant, and vanilla."
It is an interesting list.
tina, that is a good list actually.  when i lived "at home" we used to pound nails straight and re-use them all the time.  of course, i had depression era grandparents.  sewing thread was another thing, as well as writing paper, and pens and pencils.

one thing i learned today about food storage is that apples have too much air in them to pressure can.  that is, if you want apple slices or chunks.  they cannot be pressure canned, in spite of the instructions i found.  the apples try to escape the jars, and end up looking rather like that expanding foam spray stuff... it is kind of funny now that i have the mess cleaned up.  and i do wish i had taken a photo...

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #63 on: Jun 08, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
I wish you had taken a photo too.
I knew it was a good list. I already save/collect all of these items.
I listened and learned from my grandmother. I also listened other people in the know in my life.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #64 on: Jun 22, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
On a recent Time Magazine cover, they had a curl of butter and a blurb about "They had it wrong". Fats are not bad for us. I could not read the whole article without subscribing online.And I did not see the magazine on the rack at the store. But I already know about what it says. Mainstream nutritionists and doctors have been fed the 'bad fats' since the 70's and in turn have fed the info to the general populace.
But I never really bought into it. I use butter and lard and coconut oil. I save my bacon grease.
Although I'd like to find bacon and meats without the nitrites and things. I used to use corn oil or vegetable oil but stopped that about 10 years ago as I learned about GMOs.
I am glad that the real food is coming back.
I ordered an old favorite cookbook last week and it arrived yesterday. The Junk Food alternative was a fun book to learn about nutrition in the 70's when I borrowed it from a neighbor. I had to return it eventually. It was printed before microwaves were the norm and before soy was so adulterated by genetics. But it still has some good ideas for feeding my family nutrition in the form of fun food.
So it got me thinking about another favorite cookbook I had. I cannot find that cookbook so I ordered it from Amazon this morning. Good Food for Hard Times was also good for breaking down the nutrition for me. And it had some true basics in the form of food shopping lists if you lost everything in a fire or flood or some other disaster. Or lists if you had some basics on hand like salt, spices and sugar. I loved that book and cannot figure out whatever happened to it. It helped a lot when we were very low on foodstuffs in the house. It gave me ideas about what I could fix that the kids would be happy with and be pretty healthy too.
When I was alone with my older set of kids and a couple of fosters, (5 altogether) money was often very tight. I shopped once a month, mostly with some exceptions for fresh milk and bread, sometimes. Although I baked much of my own bread.
The city's school lunches printed out a monthly menu and reading it you could see that they had the same thing for each day of the week. It would be chicken or turkey on Monday's, pasta on Tuesdays, pizza on Wednesdays, etc. Only some variations for occasional holidays. Seemed like a good idea to me so I made my monthly menu similarly only used different days than the school menu so my kids would not be having pasta twice in a single day. So my kids always knew that something like Mondays would be hot dog or polish sausage night. And prepared a different way each Monday of the month. On buns, grilled sausage and potatoes another Monday, followed by beanie wienies the next, etc. It was fairly regular but not set in stone. If someone bought us pizza, we were good with that too. I almost always had a cole slaw or fresh veggies on the side with these meals.
That type of shopping and menu planning made for great budgeting.
With my food storage I am having a little more difficulty planning actual meals So I am using a food storage calculator to make sure I have enough protein, vitamins, carbs and minerals for each family member. I so want a wide variety of food available.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal