Author Topic: Types of Food Storage  (Read 4523 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Types of Food Storage
« on: Apr 03, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
So far I've found 4 levels of food storage.

1)  Subsistance:  Wheat, Powdered Milk, Sugar/Sweetener, Salt, Vitamins (gel caps), Water.
2)  Basic:  Everything in subsistence plus the following:  Soy Bean (and flour), peanuts, peanut butter, peanut flour, dried beans, rice shortening, dry yeasst, baking powder, drived split peas, potato flakes, prunes, raisins, macaroni, tuna fish, and canned meats.
3)  Lynchburg 3rd Ward:  Everything in Basic plus the following:  Soup, stew, chili, oil, butter, vinegar, spices, evaporated milk, spices, condiments, vanilla, oatmeal, cornmeal, jello, olive oil, fruit, vegetables, jam & jelly, frut or tomato juice, cheese, juice crystals, powdered eggs.
4)  And this is when you literally have everything you use in a year already stored.

Can you believe that's ever possible even with a garden?

I'm between subsistence and basic at the moment.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Types of Food Storage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
I did not begin my storage with these items or in this order. But I have them all and about a 2 year supply. I am incredibly picky about soy and corn products and anything having the genetically modified ingredients. So shop carefully and end up paying a little more for those.
I would add oil or some type of fats to the subsistence or you could get into trouble fast.  Fats are a necessity.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
Coconut oil would be the oil that I would choose. I really have a liking for it after Sarah (barleychown) explained it to me a long time ago... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
Yes, coconut oil is the main one in my food storage as well. Along with butter, lard and some hemp oil and a little olive oil.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
I have read lots of good information about hemp oil, Tina. Does it have a strong taste? :SmileyQmarks:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
Do you mean like marijuana? No, it does not. It is pretty mellow. I like it better than olive oil.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I am definitely altering the levels.  your comments have helped a great deal.  Do we have a link to the coconut oil discussion?  I'd love to read more about it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
In the Kitchen a few pages back, there are links to different discussions like Baby Steps to Better Food by barleychown. We discuss a lot of things and coconut oil among them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
Well I've been revamping the levels of food storage.

Subsistence is still the same.
Subsistence Plus Two is: Wheat, Powdered Milk, Sugar/Sweetener, Salt, Vitamins (gel caps), Water, the egg crystals and a fat or oil.
Third Level leveners is: all of the above plus yeast, baking powder, and baking soda.
Then I still have the basic level in there but there is very little in it.
Then we go to almost having everything that one would normally have every month stored for additional months. 

Then I'm going with recipes that will work to keep your food storage rotated and your taste buds used the the stored items.
Then there are family favorites so that the recipes that people suggest have a place to go if they don't fit anywhere else.
I'm also doing a section on Pot Luck Recipes that are easy to make ahead and transport.
After that are the special diet recipes so far they are gluten-free and diabetic.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
That is a good plan, Tammy.
In my storage, I am figuring that I may be cooking for a crowd not just my immediate family. I have a hard time thinking of turning away a hungry person. So I added ratios to my plans. Like oatmeal is cooked 2/1, water to oats, planning a half cup of oats per person. I would be pulling out my larger stock pots for all of this. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
That's a great idea.  I've heard some recipes do not double well, but I'm sure the oatmeal would.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »
Not just oatmeal but many other things as well, how many cups of beans do I need to feed 10 or more? How much rice? How much wheat or corn do I need to grind for a bunch of bread? Ratios for everything. If you have the basic ratios, cooking is easier. But it is hard to remember everything. If I invite 40 people for enchilada dinners, I want to have enough to feed them all. Or a fish fry or whatever.
So I am writing things down for the possibilities. I am not planning on getting snowed in. And I hope there is no major interruption in the economy or power grid. But my main concern is a very bad earthquake that could cut us off for a long time. That is when I might end up feeding my neighbors.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
That's a great plan and very appropriate to your location.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
having been out of water for 5 days and it being another few before the water is potable I've come to one food storage solution for the future.  i'm buying paper plates and plastic forks and spoons for my food storage so I'm not using water to wash loads of dishes. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
I agree, Tammy. I have boxes of 1000 each of spoons, forks and knives set aside. I use smaller boxes of spoons for packing my son's lunch every day. I also have plastic long handled drink spoons and fat soup spoons in plastic. I like to be comfortable even when I'm eating casually.
We use a lot of paper plates in daily life here. They are just best for sandwiches and such.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 01:41:28 PM »
And I went off to inventory those to see where I might need to beef up paper supplies. So thank you for the reminder that I wanted to do this.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
Your very welcome.  I put them on my grocery list right away.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal