Author Topic: Church CookBook  (Read 7796 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Church CookBook
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I know I've mentioned this in other posts.  I thought it would be a good idea to put it all in one place. 

I've got a lot of articles about food storage, emergency medical supplies, water storage and many other things in the computer.  Also a fair share of recipes.  I've finally decided that I will break the recipes up by type of food and then within that into the different levels of food storage.  Then will come the special diets and recipes for special occasions.

I hope this will work well.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Church CookBook
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
That sounds reasonable, Tammy.
I am back to reading up on the depression and war time rationing recipes.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
I'd love to hear about some of those.  Could you send me the book titles and authors?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Most of what I am reading now is just from googling. Online stories with recipes and ideas.
Like this site for an example:
http://1940sexperiment.wordpress.com/100-wartime-recipes/

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
looks interesting. I bookmarked it to look at later.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »
me too.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »
me three
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »
I'm working in the gluten-free area right now.  I have two books checked out of the library and am trying to get some recipes in each section breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and snacks.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
It is nice of you to include that section for people in need. I have looked into gluten free stuff and researched. But am not concentrating on it in my storage because we don't have any such allergies to deal with in my immediate family. And it is very hard to find true gluten free foods because of manufacturing and processing practices.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
Well the thing that has always bothered me is that most church cookbooks are just regular cookbooks.  If we expouse food storage then I think our cookbook should support our beliefs.  But then I could be one hundred and 180 degrees out.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
I agree, Tammy. You should have a market for your book. Every time I make a purchase I think of the friends I have who cannot eat what we do.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
Well I've gotten over the block with the cook book and I'm back working on it and making progress.  I've managed to get and make up dividers for it.  And all of them are tagged.  Now I am going into each recipe and formatting it so they all match and each has a heading for the level of food storage that is required for it.  That is a bit hairy but I'm going slow and steady.  My goal is to prepare and print 5 recipes a day and then to put them in document protectors and put them in the 3 1/2 inch binder that I got at the humane societies yard sale. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »
Sounds good, Tammy. May I ask why page protectors? I had thought you were putting together one for printing?
I agree that if I were putting recipes for my own kitchen and use, page protectors would be a good thing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
They won't be commercially bound.  Basically because each has to be unique.  Food storage choices have to be individual based on each families needs.  So I ferret out the recipes and articles that seem useful to me or that church members ask for and then type them in a uniform format and print them and put them in a huge master cookbook.  Members choose which recipes and articles they want to put in their own cookbook and have those printed out for there use.  So everyone ends up with what they will use.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
That is a great way to do it, Tammy. Especially for food storage.
If you draw a blank or have few options, ask here about uses for specific ingredients and I will research my cookbooks for those. That would be great fun for me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »
That's great.  I'll have to bring in my basic food storage level and see if you can help with that.  That and the subsistence levels have the fewest recipes.

Subsistence level is whole wheat, dry milk, water, sugar (or substitute), salt, and gel cap vitamins. 

I have recipes for hard tack, flat bread, sweetened milk, and cracked wheat cereal and mush. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
I could not come up with any more recipes using those ingredients without adding fat at the very least.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
That and the ova easy eggs are in the next level. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
I am going to say  it does not need the expense of Ova-easy eggs to make decent storage. I have Ova-easy because they are the best for egg dishes, scrambled, omelets, etc. I have less costly powdered eggs for baking things also. So pancakes with the cheaper stuff and saving the ova-easy for more 'gourmet' meals. If you can only have one can of these set aside, I would go with Ova-easy. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Aug 04, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
rather than having two type of eggs I prefer to have one that I can use for both purposes.  But thanks for the tip I'll pass it along.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #20 on: Aug 04, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
Yes, I understand. I was just saying because there is a price difference. I have cans of each.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
I got'cha.

Yesterday I made whole wheat dumplings and they were pretty good.  Now i'd like to modify the recipe so that the dumplings are lighter.  What do you think baking powder or baking soda, and what acid would you use with it.  Or would you do something else?  I used an egg already.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
Dough enhancer lightens whole wheat. There are other ones in other places but this is the best price I have seen.
http://www.augasonfarms.com/Dough-EnhancerEveryday-Size-Can-UPC-00946-90900?search=dough%20enhancer

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip I'd never heard of the product.  The shipping was really high.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
Yes, it would be for a single can. You should be able to find dough enhancer someplace local. If not a grocery store, then in a health food type shop.
You can make your own enhancer, too.
I like this one because it tells what each product does and gives alternatives. Although there is no real alternative for vital wheat gluten.
http://www.honeybeepantry.com/topics/view/51cbfc9bf702fc2ba812f47b/
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 03:05:24 PM by Tina »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal