Author Topic: Quilting Projects #3  (Read 15552 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Quilting Projects #3
« Reply #50 on: Sep 12, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
tammy, i looked at the album, you did a good job.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: Sep 14, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I finished the Attack Cat quilt and it is on the site in the 4th row and 5th quilt in.  It really looks good in my opinion.  For what that is worth.  The Oh Susannah will not be ready by Friday by my best guess.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #52 on: Sep 14, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »
I wish I could see it. I can't seem to navigate the site well.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
I wonder what is up with that?  I click on the gallery and then click on the date and I'm there.  Since I know very little about the internet I can't begin to guess what the problem might be.

The Cat Block for the first one is mostly done.  It is a cat on the beach laying on it's back with a bottle of sun tan lotion next to it.  I've done a sun with rays coming down and a beach and I think it is cute. 

The star flower quilt hasn't made any progress at all.

The Oh Susannah has all of it's flowers and next is the net to the ditch stitching on the blue blocks.

The peony blocks haven't even had fabric selected yet. 

Nothing on the crazy quilt either. 

But some progress is better than none.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
Progress is good, Tammy.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #55 on: Sep 18, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
Is there an online picture of the Oh Susannah quilt?  I like the name.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Sep 27, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
Not yet.  i'm stuck on it and can't seem to get it done.   I was doing one of the wagon wheels today and it is so wobbly that he'll never get to Alabama.   Ill have to take it out and do it again. 

Cat quilt 1st block is done.  Now I'm working on the biscuit patchwork cat block.  I have it cut out now I just have to needle turn it.

Star flower no progress.

Peony wall hanging I've selected the fabric.

The crazy quilt we've begun on the peacock.  I've done from the crest to the body in embroidery.  And I've started learning the ribbon embroidery.  So far I'm doing dragonflies that are all straight stitches and regular embroidery.  I learned how to do the french knots finally.  So happy about that. 

So now you are all up to date.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Oct 04, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
Well the rain has made a mess of my plans.  The quilt club meeting got rained out.  The point of honor museum even got rained out.  The quilt show went well except what I discussed in my blog.  And I got nothing accomplished on any of the projects I took.

At the quilt show I bought a rigid heddle loom and I've made my first piece of fabric.  It's cool. 

I bought two pieces of knotted silk for the crazy quilt.  I don't know how I'll incorporate them in it since I haven't a teacher anymore but I'll just have to do the best I can. 

I bought some stuff called angelina for the crazy quilt too on my teacher's suggestion now without her I'm clueless on how to move forward with that either.

The beading that is suppose to go on in the tail of the peacock is also a mystery to me so this quilt has definitely become a mind field of problems.  Wish me luck as I stumble forward.

The second block of the Cat quilt is still waiting to be worked on.

Star flower no progress.

Peony wall hanging.  I've begun working on the background "Made Fabric"  So far I'm not please but I am determined to finish even if the picture in my head and the finish product end up entirely different.

The Oh Susannah is laying on the back of the exec chair waiting for me to get up the gumption to try the FMQing again.

So there it is.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: Nov 03, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
The Oh Susannah is done!  That took a long time.

I took a class in making a "criss cross" quilt.  It's a process of making a bunch of straps and then weaving them together and then top stitching them to keep them together and then binding them like you would a regular quilt.  It is very time intensive and not fun.  At least it wasn't for me.  I made one placemat and I think that is where it will end.  That leaves me with 36 2 1/2 inch strips.  I'm thinking My Grandmothers Garden would be a good use for them.

The second block of the cat quilt is done.  I made a patchwork looking stuffed cat in blacks, white, golds, and silvers on an orange background.  I machine appliqued it.  I think it came out good except I didn't know I was suppose to stabilize it first.  Live and learn.

The third block of the cat quilt is going to be the cleopatra pose sitting on a chaise lounge wearing a beaded headdress.  The chaise lounge will be stuffed and then "tufted" using little french knots.  At least that is the plan at this point.  I get a little ambitious from time to time.

Star Flower no progress.

Peony Wall Hanging - the made fabric was a bust.  I'm going to use some "sky" fabric for the background instead. 

The Peacock is done.  I don't love it but it is ok.

I've started the next embroidered block for the victorian crazy quilt.  It is an owl  all hand embroidered.  It is taking a fair amount of time but it is easy to travel with which is a plus. 

I think the list has gotten longer rather than shorter.  Maybe I should have one thread for each quilt?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #59 on: Nov 03, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »
It all sounds super ambitious. I like quilts to use or to look at. But that is as far as I go. No plans on making any. My hands hurt just thinking about it.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #60 on: Nov 03, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
I'd like a thread for each quilt cuz I can't keep up.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Nov 04, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
The pain in the hands is a definite consideration.  Learning the free motion quilting just about killed my hands in the beginning.  that and my shoulders because the machine wasn't at the right height.  I do just a little everyday because it can hurt a bunch.

I will split them up if Diane says it's ok.  I don't want to make it hard for them. 

Thanks for reading my posts.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: Nov 04, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
tammy, i don't always post, but i always read. i like hearing about your ambitions.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #63 on: Nov 04, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »
tammy, i don't always post, but i always read. i like hearing about your ambitions.
Ditto
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
These projects are all at points where it will be awhile before there will be measurable progress.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Nov 07, 2015, 07:50:17 AM »
Ok the placemat that was done but I didn't like the back is being redone.  I'm basically appliqueing a new back to it.  I'm about halfway done.  

I've darted one of the peony petal sets.  It makes it come into a cup shape like I wanted.  So maybe I'm on the right track as of this point.  We will see how it goes from here.

I turned in the Oh Susannah quilt and picked up a sweet treat packet.  It's a little set of fabric to defray the fabric used.  In this case I did ok since the only thing I used was my thread. 

Of course when I turn in the star quilt I'm going to be way behind because that was costly. 
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 07:53:03 AM by duh »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #66 on: Nov 07, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
I hope it all works out even in the end, Tammy. It's wonderful what you do.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Nov 09, 2015, 05:40:14 AM »
The placemat is done.  It's not lying perfectly flat of course but if that bothers the recipient she can redo it.  Nanny-nanny-boo-boo. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Don't I sound strange today? 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #68 on: Nov 09, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
We all have days like that, Tammy. It does get better.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #69 on: Nov 09, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »
You sound like I do most days.  :) Nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Nov 10, 2015, 07:00:32 AM »
lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

It was raining cats and dogs earlier.  It sounds like it has let up which is great. 

I'm headed to run some chores  before I go to the Queen Bee's to work on community quilts.  Earlier I was dreading it but not that the weather has let up I'm looking forward to it.  Hard to believe I was born a Washington duck isn't it?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:38:09 PM »
nanny nanny boo boo sounds good to me!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Nov 13, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
I have permission to separate this thread into individual ones to follow each project.  So I'm scooting over rather than moving on up.  lol

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »
I decided to keep this one going because there is stuff that doesn't deserve a thread of it's own.  At least not yet. 

For example I think I have found the christmas quilt pattern I want to make.  It has a machine applique poinsettia at the center of a quarter square triangle block.  I'm not sure if it will work with the fabrics I have chosen so I will cut out a template that looks like the poinsettia and audition the fabrics.  That's what they call it and it does work to avert some of the mistakes I would make otherwise.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Nov 15, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
I got half of the binding on the woven placemat done at the meeting today.  Members are so weird.  They just walk up and grab it and look at it.  No boundaries at all.  I was praying that it didn't stick anyone.  I feel there has been enough progress that I might actually have it done for show and tell on the 4th.  Of course there are bobbles but the I'll iron out what i can and live with the rest. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal