Author Topic: So Do You Sew#14  (Read 19189 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
So Do You Sew#14
« on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
Just so we have it here for future things.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: So Do You Sew#14
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
tammy, sometimes repairs are more satisfying, i think it is the frugal nature of taking something worn, and making it look new.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
That sounds like a good deal.  I'm still hoping to figure out a way to keep the buttons on my pants.  i use the shank method which is suppose to be good but I still find myself replacing them often.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2016, 10:41:01 PM »
tammy, i use heavy duty upholstery thread for buttons that seem to pop off way too often...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
I will get some of that because I definitely have some buttons that are real poppers.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
here is an interesting project.  I bought at the quilt show a cutting board carrier.  It for the small one.  It looks like a portfolio with a velcro clasp and webbing handles.  My problem was that having my cutting board without my rotary cutter and rulers would be rather useless.  So I wanted to add pockets.  First on the agenda was the 6 x 24 inch ruler.  Which is just a bit longer than the carrier.  So I put it on diagonally and let a little bit come out the top corner.  That worked so it was on to the next one.  I wanted a pocket to carry the 12", 9", and other assorted square rulers.  For this I wanted a box pocket. 

I know about box pockets because we had them on our utilities.  They were a pain to iron.  Now I've never made one in my life but I definitely know what they look like intimately from ironing the things.  So I made one this morning.  There was one wrong turn but I fixed it.  Before I sew it to the portfolio I wanted to sew the final pocket to that pocket front.  This is the one for the rotary cutters.  I'd like to put a flap and button on it but I am way to chicken so it will just be a regular pocket and it went on simply.  The final part of the project is sewing the square pocket on to the portfolio by hand.  I'm going to do that next.  As soon as I get up the courage.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
I think I would add a flap with velcro to that box pocket to keep things from falling out if it gets jostled.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »
That's a very good idea.  I have some velcro around here somewhere. 

So now it's all about getting it sewn down.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
I added the velcro and finished sewing the pockets.  Now I've got all my stuff in it and I'm loving it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »
Good. It sounds lovely.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
way to go!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
I'm so excited.  this is the first hand sewn project that turned out that I've done in the last 42 years.   The last one was a dress for the society of creative anachronism.  I can't believe it, that was so easy to remember, and keeping track of what i did this morning is so hard.  I guess I have arrived at "that" time of life.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2016, 10:38:49 PM »
alright. the dust ruffle and rayne's table cloths are finished.  photo bucket loaded them upside down and the colors aren't true due to the flash, but here you go.

lyla's dust ruffle

the colors are a deep purple on the bottom, a mint dotted swiss next, lavender next, and then a nice paisley in pastels on a white background on top.

rayne's tablecoth

it is a nice medium pink (almost bubblegum colored) with a black and white cow print.  the tablecloths were pre-made (although one needed a "repair") to hang over a folding table (think hotel/buffet type event table).  i added the 12" ruffle (or there about) to 3 sides. leaving the back unencumbered for moving around.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
Nice job
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »
Great job. Tedious work.
Is the baby dust ruffle for a crib?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
Nice of you to take on projects like that when you work.  I'm not sure I'd have had the energy back then. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:28:29 PM »
tina it is for lyla's crib.  and that's why it is 3 sides only.

tammy, i only work 20 hours a week. that is all i am willing to take on. and the projects are few and far inbetween.

thank you all for the kind words.  tina, it was tedious work, and i will be investing in a gathering foot for the machine.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »
I didn't know there was a gathering foot.  That sounds like a good thing to have.  Thanks for mentioning it Jenn.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 10:16:15 PM »
tammy, there are actually 2 types.  both are reasonably priced on amazon.  the simple one (gathering) is just that.  it's about $2.50 on amazon, the one i saw is for a "low shank" machine (the screw that holds the presser foot is less than an inch from the bottom) and really just gathers, much like you would if you put in a basting thread then pulled it. it's not exact, it doesn't do anything fancy, but you can gather and attach at the same time if you want with that foot.

the other type is also called a "ruffler" or "pleater" and it makes pleats.  really, just pleats.  you have the options of every stitch, every 6th stitch, or every 12th stitch, or not at all (not sure why you'd do that unless it was just because you were "between pleated areas". using the "every stitch" option is how you get the gathers... and you also have the option of pleating, or pleating while attaching.  this foot is available for low shank also, and you have the option of adjusting how far back the material that is tucked under goes.  singer has a couple of good videos on both of them, but i think i have done a fair job of expaining it.  i know you are on "metered" internet, so if i didn't do a good job, let me know and i'll try to clarify.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »
I wonder if they exist for the kenmore machine.  It is a low shank.  This is worth looking into.  Thanks for telling me.  You did a great job explaining.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »
tammy they do.  if your machine has the screw on the outside of the shank to secure the presser foot to the shank, it will work with it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »
excellent.  I'll be looking around for one after the summer quilting class.  I have to watch my spending.  Every penny counts during the a/c season. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
i know that's right!

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »
the tooth pillow original front

the new front

the back (it is the same)

and a collage of the 3 pictures that i did on my tablet.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 11:15:34 PM »
Sweet!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal