Author Topic: So Do You Sew#14  (Read 19224 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: So Do You Sew#14
« Reply #50 on: Aug 25, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
Today I ironed 3 more pieces of the fabric.  At this rate it will take me an entire week to get them all done.  But that would still get them finished before I go back to my next blooming nine patch class which means another chore done and done well.  I like that. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #51 on: Aug 25, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
Good
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #52 on: Aug 26, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
Yes it is good.  I noticed when I was ironing that some of these fabrics are very thin.  Transparent in fact.  I'm thinking if I backed them with a thin interfacing that might make them exceptable.  i've used transparent fabric before and been very displeased.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Sep 04, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
I was given the suggestion that I could use these fabrics for practicing my fmq'ing.  I'm loving that thought.

I bought the cutting disks to go with my dremel look-a-like so now I can cut down those spools to fit inside the bigger spools.  And who knows what other trouble I can get into. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #54 on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
the tooth pillow original front

the new front

the back (it is the same)

and a collage of the 3 pictures that i did on my tablet.

So cute!!!!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #55 on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
I finished Lyla's blanket/quilt/duvet/comforter.  The middle was a duvet Kate got on sale.  she wanted the fabric quilted to it. it is 48x44 and done with a "stitch in the ditch" to make the quarters stay in place.  then edged with quilt binding.

the front, pieced, and stitched in the ditch

the back, which is pieced, but not where you should be able to see it (i matched the pattern up)

and the finished product

Love this!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Sep 08, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
I'm probably crazy and to be ignored but I think I liked the font on the first pillow better than the one on the second.  Like I said I probably should be ignored.  i love the idea of the tooth fairy pillow.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #57 on: Sep 08, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
agree duh.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
the original front on the pillow got threadbare in places, and had actual holes in others, not to mention stains i could not get out.  of course, it was only about 32 years old, so, not surprised.  That's why I redid it.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:14:51 AM »
That is a really good reason.  Did you salvage the lace or were you able to find it's match?  i really like it.  Was it pre-gathered or did you do that.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #60 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
i salvaged the lace. it was put on with a gathering (pleating) foot, with just a pleat about every inch and a half. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Sep 11, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
very excellent.

I made a valance with a scalloped edge.  I finished it this morning after I could get it next to the curtains it will go with and I'm glad I did.  The top ruffle on the curtains was taller than I thought and if I'd have finished the valance in class they would have peeked over the top of the valance.  Not what I wanted.  So it worked out wonderfully well. 

Now I'm working on a supposedly simple little project for quilt club.  One of those things that I said I wasn't going to do right?

But it is useful so I'm doing it.  It is a stitch dictionary.  It will have every pattern and length my machine will do.  Fortunately mine only does a few things.  What the ladies with computerized machines will do I haven't a clue.  Anyway I did the first front of one page and made a number of mistakes.  My machine evidently doesn't like stitch length zero and one for straight stitch and so I ended up with the rats nest on the back side.  But since I wrote the wrong words on the top to indicate the stitch type I guess I can do that one again.  I do have 2 extra "sheets".  I think I'll need both of them. 

So that is all the stitching news for now. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #62 on: Sep 12, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
You guys are busy busy and I'm sitting here eating chocolate chip cookie dough out of the roll.  Worthless.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Sep 12, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
ooooh, that sounds like fun.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: Sep 13, 2016, 06:56:04 AM »
I managed to make the grid on another "page" of my fabric book.  slow going there but that is better than doing it wrong.  I got the interfacing done.  It's too short but I'll make it work.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:38:18 AM »
I'm thinking it is just too hard to make a fabric book without help.  I think I'll just make little individual ones for each type of stitch and leave it like that.  I can always just sew the top of each page together when i'm done or use a grommet and ring binder.  i'm rather unhappy at the moment.  Maybe i'll check pinterest or something.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #66 on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:44:09 AM »
That's a good plan, Tammy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Sep 16, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
I got help with the book idea so now it is totally stabilized and each page is marked for what will go there.  Now I need to set up my light table so I can draw the rest of the grids. 

So this is what penny thinks of as a little project easily done in a month.  Hum,  I feel good that I manage to sew for over an hour.  I remember when it was 10 minutes at a time.  My mentor can sew all morning long.  I hope I can get to that place but I'm not there yet.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: Sep 16, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
my sewing is in spurts.  sometimes, 10 minutes is all i can manage, sometimes, i can sew all day.  i get it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #69 on: Sep 17, 2016, 05:06:01 AM »
I've switched the pages around.   I think I put the post about my last booboo in the quilting thread.  I will be glad to be done with this project.  Really glad but when I push it something gets really messed up.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Sep 17, 2016, 05:14:35 AM »
I stopped by Amy's shop and bought the adjustable stitch in the ditch foot and saw the gather foot.  I was tempted to get it too but decided to wait until I had something to do with it. 

I plan to use the adjustable for machine binding if it work with the glue down technique.  If the top stitching is perfect I'll use it.  If not I won't.  I'll try it on the placemats first.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #71 on: Sep 17, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
You guys know I'm not crafty right?  So I'm trying to wrap my brain around a fabric book.  Is it like the cloth books for children?  But instead of animal pictures on the pages you're putting all the stitches your machine will do?  So all the books will have a different number of pages depending on what each machine will do?  Wish you could post me a picture.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #72 on: Sep 17, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
That's the way I'm picturing it, Sheri.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Sep 18, 2016, 06:53:24 AM »
Perfect description sheri.  I'll post a picture if I ever manage to get it all together. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Sep 19, 2016, 06:34:30 AM »
I received two boxes of fabrics from a lady who is giving fabric away.  One is of fabrics that will work for boys quilts and one is a floral.  There are many pieces that are large enough for backings. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal