Author Topic: Mums  (Read 16938 times)

kratz7

Re: Mums
« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2007, 04:58:32 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have alot of mums in my flower beds.........
Do any of you know about trimming mums back after they bloom in the Summer, so they are again nice and full for the Fall bloom. I heard about doing this somewhere  but of course I didn't hear how much to cut.

Any help would greatly be apreciated....

thanks,

Charlotte

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Aug 15, 2007, 06:13:40 AM »
It must be environmental because now the mother plant and the plant that was bronze last year are doing it too.  But only on some of the bloosoms farthest away from the sun.  It is weird.  The one plant is in the same place it was in last year and hasn't been moved. 

Well everything else has been weird this year I guess the mums didn't want to get left out.

Offline patches

« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Do any of you know about trimming mums back after they bloom in the Summer, so they are again nice and full for the Fall bloom. I heard about doing this somewhere  but of course I didn't hear how much to cut.

Charlotte, I think what you're referring to is pinching them back a couple of times until mid-July, so that they will be bushier and fuller and get a lot more blooms in the Fall.  I believe it's too late in the year to cut them back and expect to get any flowers for the Fall season.  :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Aug 16, 2007, 05:20:18 AM »
I prune to shape it but that's about all.  Then it's all about deadheading as we get into the fall blooms.

Offline patches

« Reply #29 on: Aug 16, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »
Duh, I've never had to prune my mums to shape them, :smileyNo: but I think your mums are much larger than any I've ever had.  Since I really don't care for many tall flowers I always bought the shorter varieties, and most of them usually grew in a rounded, global shape.   :smile:       
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #30 on: Aug 17, 2007, 07:44:49 AM »
Patti, could you name some of the shorter varieties? I like mums, too, but like them a little on the short side, also... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: Aug 17, 2007, 09:19:25 AM »
mine are the normal 12 to 18 inches tall.  And yes they have a compact habit but there are still some sections that manage to grow larger than others and I trim them so they stay even. 

Offline patches

« Reply #32 on: Aug 18, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »
Dianna, as a rule the "cushion" type chrysanthemums tend to have a more compact grown habit and with regular pinching they can be formed into a small, global shape.  You certainly don't want any of the Pompom mums   :smileyNo: because they can get rather large, and I think the Spider mums do too.  Dianna, there is no way I could remember all the different varieties :unsure: because it was five years ago when I worked at the greenhouse; but, I do remember one that was my favorite.   ;) It was "Cecelia" and it had pink, daisy-like flowers.  :smile: It was gorgeous!!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »
someone on another site mentioned devolution and I think that sounds like the right answer to my original question. 

I knew that it happened to roses but never even thought it could happen to mums but of course it can if they have been crossbred for color. 

Anyway I'm happy to have an answer.

Now if I just knew what caused it.  I know with roses it can be caused by cutting them to short when pruning.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »
An update on the mums.  Since the temperatures have cooled because of the rain we have been getting, all the new blooms are Burgandy.  Can you imagine that?  I had no idea the plant would respond to 90 degree temperatures that way. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »
Thanks for some names to look for, Patti! ;D

:ScratchHead: Hmmm, Duh. That does sound odd... :unsure:

I saw in the Lowe's weekly ad that they have some mums on sale for 88 cents this weekend. Can't remember what size pot, though...

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #36 on: Aug 31, 2007, 02:30:23 AM »
Dianna, I saw several ads for some decent prices on mums for the Labor day week-end, but the with the lousy weather we've been having here, I'm not sure I want to invest any more money this season in my garden.  :smileyNo: As it is now, I'm having enough trouble just trying to keep all my flowers alive.  :SmileyFit: Actually, I'm about ready to throw in the towel for this year and it's not even September.  :Vent:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Aug 31, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »
All of the baby mums that I finally got planted out are doing great so far.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline patches

« Reply #38 on: Aug 31, 2007, 11:02:07 PM »
Duh, mums are really tough plants, so if they're doing great now they should continue to do well.  :ThumbUp: I can't think of any plants that can take the abuse that mums sometimes do and they still make it.   ;) They are almost worry-free!   :Whis:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
Well the mums are back in pots.  This is crazy.  But hopefully next time they are planted they will be in a spot where they can stay. 

Offline patches

« Reply #40 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
That's great!  :ThumbUp:  I hope they find a permanent home too!   Hey, Duh, how many pots of mums do you have?   ???

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:04:57 AM »
I kept 3 of the cuttings and they are currently in pots.  I have one 2 year old plant that is bronze that is in the back yard right now but I'll be digging up that one pretty soon.  And then there is the huge burgandy plant in the front pot.  That will have to be divided.  I can't afford a pot large enough for that plant.  So I currently have a total of 5 mums. 
Which considering all told I have about 120 square feet of garden space is quite a few lol.

Offline patches

« Reply #42 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »
Geesh, it sounds like it's going to look like Fall at your place!  ;) Duh, mums are very easy to propagate.  :Whis:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Sep 08, 2007, 06:57:42 AM »
thanks for the vote of confidence.  I really do better with seeds than with divisions but your right that did work pretty well this year.

MassMama

« Reply #44 on: Sep 08, 2007, 08:05:38 AM »
 :Cool1: Sounds like your doing a great job Duh!!  :Blush: I have not divided my mums up in ohhh the last 7 years ... I think I better do something this spring with them.. I may pull them all this fall so that we will have something a bit brighter!  :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #45 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
If I could take on a lot of jobs this fall I'd say send them to me but I couldn't afford the postage nor the energy to get them all situated.  I'm alittle scared that I'll lose plants because I just can't take care of them while they are out of the ground.

I love the deep rich colors.   

Offline patches

« Reply #46 on: Sep 08, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »
Duh, if you have them potted up, keep the watered and see that they get the proper light, you shouldn't have any problems, and they should be fine.   ;)

By the way, when I was saying mums are easy to propagate I was talking about doing it with cuttings.  It's a piece of cake!

Offline notherdigger

« Reply #47 on: Apr 16, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »
     I always bought the cushon mums at walmart and divided them to get good stands of mums and they do quite well.  And I am no expert at all but cuttings ie:clones would not give a different color cause they would be identical copie :dunno:s of the parent plant but you would certainly chance getting different colors from cross pollination.  I really like the hydrangeas too of which there are several different colored ones.  One of my favorites is the pee gee tree hydrangea.  I have one of those which I planted last year but I have it in a bush form but as a tree I think they will grow 12 to 20 feet if you let them. :dunno: :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2008, 12:12:00 AM by notherdigger »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:14:05 AM »
About the mums it was a summer thing.  Once temperatures cooled down they became the color they were suppose to be.

I only have one stand of bronze mums left but they are doing to do great in a planter on my deck.  At least that is the plan.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Mar 28, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
My oldest mums clump is doing interesting things.  When I pulled all the dead wood and leaves out of it I noticed that it had decided to be two separate clumps.  And between the two clumps was a depression.  Now I know that mums are heavy feeders but I never expected to actually see the results of the feeding.  So I filled the depression with compost.  That should keep those little suckers happy for another growing season I hope.  I also hope I can buy some mulch this year. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal