Author Topic: join the new challenge  (Read 14422 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
join the new challenge
« on: Jun 09, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
On sparkpeople.com there is a challenge that I have joined and I thought I would share it here.

It is to try one new food (recipe) each week.  This week i plan to do two new foods.  i'm going to try my very first mango.  Then i have the ingredients for Crystallized Ginger Pears. 

If you would like to join me in this endeavor all it takes is a new recipe and a willingness to try something new. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: join the new challenge
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »
I was mistaken in the name.  It is Baked Ginger Pears

2 cups water
1 cup splenda
1 inch of vanilla bean
1 lemon cut in half
6 pears
2 tbsp ground up crystallized ginger

cook water, splenda, vanilla bean, and juice of half a lemon; stir until splenda dissolves, then allow syrup to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.  Peel each pear and cut them in half vertically.  Remove the core and rub exposed surfaces of pears with other half of lemon.  Place halves of pears, syrup, and ginger in a covered baking dish.  Syrup should cover pears; add water if necessary.  Bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes until the pears are tender.  Serve warm with cold ice cream or whipped cream.  Yields six servings.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »
I loved the baked ginger pears and hated the mango.  won't do that again.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
Funny!  I like mangoes alright but I can't bear pears. There is just something in their texture, raw or cooked, that I just don't like. And that extends to the flavor too.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
That is interesting, but it is our differences that make the world go round.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
I did a roasted broccoli recipe and it was awful.  So hot i couldn't eat it.  Some I'm not batting a 1000 right now.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
I've tried plenty of failed recipes in the past. I got pretty good at looking at the herbs and spices and deciding if they would work for me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »
I hope I'll get there at some point.  I hate the idea of wasting food

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »
I think i'll try the stuffed mushroom recipe I found on sparkpeople.com  I do love my mushrooms.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »
Working at the Health Department and having a lot of Latino friends I've tried mangos many times because they keep telling me "you must have got a bad one".  I do NOT like them.  Everyone I've tried tasted like gasoline to me.  I'm with you duh won't do that again.  Working with them I tried a lot of food I would have never even thought of eating.  Most of it good.

I can't join the challenge because Johnny will only eat a certain set up food and I'm not cooking special for myself.  Too lazy.  Don't know how you do it.  But I like reading about your successes and failures. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:25:50 PM »
I tried a balsamic vinegar chicken recipe.  Wasn't worth the effort in my opinion.  It was one of those marinades.  But then I was out of thyme so I used marjoram instead so maybe that was the problem.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »
Today at the store I bought a Golden Honey Dew melon.  That will be a new item for me.  I've never eaten one.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
I like honeydews. I hope you do also.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
I also bought petit fours.  I know they are just cake and frosting but I've never eaten them before in the little bite sized pieces so I'm counting them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
I'm trying the squash and potatoes.  i'm out of onions so none this time but if I like it I'll add it in the future.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »
didn't care for the golden honey dew melon.  It might not have been completely ripe.  it's hard to know when I'm trying something new.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
The squash and potatoes were good.  Thanks for the recipe.  I'll definitely add onions next time.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
the petit fours have a cream like layer yum.  I'm eating way too many.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
The stuffed mushroom recipe didn't get made because the mushrooms went bad before I got to them.  That happens to me a lot which is why I didn't buy much fresh produce.  But I plan to get better at using it while it is still fresh.  I have a tomato that I have to slice and eat today before it goes bad and some peppers to blanch and cut up to freeze so they aren't wasted.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »
I don't like honey dew either?  Glad you liked the squash and potatoes.  Can you have salt?  We usually don't use salt but this is one thing that needs salt in my opinion.

Do you ever roast your vegetables?  Sliced up squash, Chinese egg plant (the other kind is too tough), onion, zucchini, a little olive oil, salt, baked for about 40 minutes?  

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
I don't do it regularly but i do like it.  It really caramelize the veggies.  Wonderful flavor. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
I bought turkey legs for the turkey cheese puff casserole and cooked them up last night.  This afternoon I plan to cut them into slices and fix the casserole and cook it.  I hope this goes well or I'm going to grumbling in the dinner thread for a while.  It should make about 8 servings.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #22 on: Jul 05, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
How was the turkey?  Years ago one of my sisters put herself on a budget and bought turkey legs to cook for dinner because they are so big and cheap.  Did not go over well. :)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2016, 07:04:12 AM »
I used a recipe that called for par-frying the legs and then finishing them in chicken broth so they tasted like chicken.  I did not find them any cheaper than any other cut of meat.  The casserole was not a success for me.  I'm not fond of cooked broccoli.  The savory meringue was to little so it didn't rise.  It was like someone tried to take a meat pot pie and turn it into a casserole without the pie crust topping.  it was somewhat rubbery. 

Anyway I won't do that again.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Jul 11, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »
I tried vegetarian spring rolls today.  They were pretty good.  I'll try those again from time to time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal