Author Topic: Blooming Nine Patch  (Read 12263 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Blooming Nine Patch
« on: Jun 30, 2016, 06:51:34 PM »
The class won't start for this until the beginning of August but since I've already started the process I thought I would go ahead and start the topic. 

This pattern requires 8 fabrics and a whole bunch of cutting.  Fortunately Carol had me buy a little extra of each fabric because while cutting I made two mistakes.  Today I cut from 10a.m. until 2:30pm and that was the second time so needless to say I came home and fell asleep. 

It is a gorgeous pattern and I look forward to doing it.  This is a large one and will be for my sliding glass door.  So 6 1/2 feet by 6 feet approximately.  It will be the largest one I have done. 

We also discussed two other classes I would like to take.  One is for a little wallet which will also teach how to put in a snap and how to put in a zipper at the top of a pocket.  Both things I don't know how to do.  So it was a busy productive day.  I also managed to make a meeting.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Blooming Nine Patch
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
Wow, that is large.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
Yes it is.  But then so is a sliding glass door.  It will be beautiful I think so well worth the effort.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
Class starts on thursday which is why I had to finish Garden Constellation.  Now if I can just get done with the raggedy brick I'll feel pretty good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
I lost the supply list for the class.  So I'm having a panic attack about arriving without the proper equipment.  It's always something.  I'm going to rent a machine there so at least I won't have that to worry about.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
You can do it, Tammy. Have fun!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »
I took my machine because he rents berninas and I didn't remember that he would be there to remind me how to use one.  Ah well it's fine.  The class was great even if i didn't get there with a ruler or a rotary cutter.  They are so good about allowing me to use theirs. 

I was so busy talking and looking at others work that i didn't get much done.  And I put all my nine patches together backwards.  So of course they all had to be done again.

Now I have 4 weeks to do all the rest and cut the 4 inch squares.  So I will have to move it.

Neither Carol nor I could get the ironing board up so we called on Jerry and it did it in a second.  He says he did the same thing we did but I think there is a trick to it.  You know how guys are with their tricks. lol

So I have the first 8 nine patches done of what will probably be several hundred.  I haven't added them all up yet.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »
ok there are 29 1/2 sets to make all of the nine patches.  Today I finished the 5th one.

There are also 7 colors of 4 1/4 inch blocks that I need to cut and today I got the first 2 colors cut.  I have 28 days to get this finished and I am on day 2.

So today I am ok.  i did notice that my color three when cut into the 1 3/4 inch squares could show only the cream flower rather than the scarlet background that I chose it for.  That makes part of the nine patch disappear.  I'll talk to carol out that today when I stop by the quilt shop after the meeting.  Today is going to be a long one.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »
Day 3 1/2 of 3 sets finished.  I hope it cools down in the evening and I can finish these 24 nine patches and get the squares cut.  But it's just to hot and I'm too depressed.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
Feel better soon, Tammy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
All 3 sets are done except for ironing and it's to hot for that.  Hopefully it will cool down this evening and I can get that done.  And the 4 1/4 squares cut.  

Thanks Tina.

Carol says that the cream flowers will be fine because of the overall look of the quilt.  I've got my fingers crossed.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
I got in there and ironed all 24 nine patches and cut the 20 4 1/4 inch squares.  Now it's on to the next one tomorrow.  I hope I'll be able to do at least another 3.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
Good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2016, 07:16:27 AM »
I've got most of the next group sewn together and 24 of them cut.  So there is alittle more to do but I'm well on my way.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
I finished 24 nine patches...unfortunately, 22 of them without a bobbin thread. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »
Oh fudge!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
yep, definitely a fudge moment.  But I've redone the 22 and ironed them and even got the 28 squares cut for this fabric.  So I am ahead of schedule and have nothing to complain of.  While I was at it I also oiled my machine.  It has probably been a year since last time and the book does say it should be done once a year at least. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Well I'm working on the next 17 nine patches.  But my get up and go has got up and gone.  Not an unusual occurrence.  And tomorrow will be another busy day where I'll probably come up short getting everything done.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »
Well it is day seven.  I've completed 16 sets and have another 13 1/2 to go.  I believe I am ahead of schedule  but not by a lot.  I hope I am getting quicker.  And better at doing it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
I got the strips half put together and cut.  But i still have to sew them back together into nine patches.  and even then it is only half of that color combination.  But it is progress as we say.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:08:36 AM »
I've got the first set half sewn together.  I guess I better get a move on and do the rest or I won't have anything to show for today.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »
ok day 8, got the first set finished and the second set cut and ready to sew.  Not a great amount done but i might do a little more this evening and count it in tomorrow's count.  It all ends up in the same place.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »
you are moving right along
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
Day Nine and I've completed a total of 22 1/2 sets and have 7 left to go.  I should be done with this process by the 19th.    And that will give me about 10 days to finish one of the placemats.  Or at least that is the goal.  I'm loving it so far.  I hope I continue to love it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »
I hope you do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal