Author Topic: My Grandmother's Garden part 2  (Read 13313 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: My Grandmother's Garden part 2
« Reply #25 on: Aug 17, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
At the meeting I finished sewing flower 8 and started flower 9.  That's the new numbering system just encase you're as confused as I am. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Aug 19, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »
got a few more petals on flower 9.  I also cut about 13 more templates. 

I talked to Linda about this quilt an how it is coming long.  She says that I am actually farther along with mine than she is with hers.  i was surprised to hear that since she taught me how to go on in the beginning.  Linda was also telling me that she sold all of the fiber art she had placed in the gallery and has several more women interested in purchasing future pieces.  She is excited and so cute about it.  She is a wonderful fiber artist and I'm lucky to know her. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2016, 12:19:01 AM »
That's great that you are so far along, Tammy. And a very good fried you have there.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
She is a lovely person.  I look forward to her show and tells all the time. 

Next on the list is making more pathway hexies.  But the charity quilt needs to be sandwiched first.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »
Prepare yourself for an O NO.  I decided to work on this quilt this morning.  I gathered everything up and attached flower 7 and put on the pathway hexie and then noticed that it was off to one side.  I had missed the center.  So I had t take it all out.  So this morning was a complete waste of time when it came to this quilt.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #30 on: Aug 23, 2016, 03:11:14 PM »
I'm sorry, Tammy.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: Aug 23, 2016, 09:31:12 PM »
better you found it now, than when you have started another one.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
So true, it's giving me pause moving forward at the moment.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
Row two's flowers are all finished.  Now I have nothing to do for hand work unless I get these put on the top.  I refuse to get so far ahead of myself that things get confusing. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
I stitched flower 7 onto the top again.  This time in the right place.  Now I need to make a bunch of pathway hexies to go between the flowers on row two.  And I cut flower 13 and ironed it into it's templates so it is all ready to baste.  I feel like I'm over the hump and that this one is moving again.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
Good going!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Thank you tina.  I stitched the first pathway hexie on it.  That required sewing 3 of the sides of the hexie.  Pretty much the same as getting a petal fully attached to the flower center.  And there are 12 of them around each flower.  So more pathways than flower parts.  I though that might be true for the center of the top.  I hope the 2 1/2 yards of pathway fabric I bought will be enough.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Aug 26, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
I cut and ironed 6 hexies so they are ready for basting.  I plan to cut about 60 more about 6 each day so that I'm ahead on those.  That will finish off the first yard and let me know if I have enough for the complete quilt.  I so hope so.  Fingers crossed.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: Aug 26, 2016, 04:51:53 PM »
getting there.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Aug 27, 2016, 06:10:25 AM »
Last night I finished adding 6 pathway hexagons on flower 10.  I had started them a while back and then stopped when I realized that I didn't need them all the way around because the flowers in row one already had pathway hexagons and that the one preceding 10 would also have them.  So the ones for this row only need 6 sewn on.  Then I started on the sides of them.  Didn't quite finish that but since I can do it in front of the tv I don't expect that to take to long. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #40 on: Aug 27, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
I finished up the sides to the six so it is ready to put on the quilt when I get there.  I cut another 6 pathway hexagons and ironed them around their templates.  I'll need most of those for flower 7.  So I need to cut at least another 6 to catch up with myself.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Aug 27, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
Ok I have basted pathway hexagons for flower 7, 8, and 9 and flower 10 has already got it's hexagons added.  So I would say the second row is moving right along.  I feel like I'm back on track with this one.  And that is good because I'll be starting my other classes in September.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
I'm confused again.  I just made another 4 pathway hexagons and put them with flower 9 so they can be basted and then sewn to the flower and then added to the top.  I'm not sure how my count got off but it did.

I need to figure out if I'm going to have enough fabric to do all the of the pathway hexagons in the fabric I have.  if not
i'm going to need suggestions as to what to do.  What a problem to face at this point.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
that hurts tammy. i hate that for you.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #44 on: Aug 30, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
Well I'm still hobbling along hoping for the best.  So far I think I've figured out that I'll need 432 hexagons that require 3 3/8th inch with of fabric for 10 hexagons.  I just can't figure out how long a piece of fabric that is.  I don't know why my mind just won't work it out.  But I'm stumped.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #45 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »
I'm stumped too.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Aug 31, 2016, 08:03:15 AM »
Well while I wrestled with that I got all but one hexagon sewn around flower 7 which is good.  This morning I managed to cut and iron 6 more hexagons so they are ready for basting.  I'm ahead on doing that and need to cut more flowers and of course the major part of the work getting the flowers on the flimsy is where I am farthest behind.  I have no idea where I am as far as on track for the 3 1/2 year deadline.  I may look that up and work it out at some point.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
The final hexagon is sewn around flower 7 so I consider it fully attached to the flimsy.  Whew!  I hope it will get easier as it goes along.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
I have started sewing flower 8 to the flimsy.  It's a bit of work but it is progress.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Sep 02, 2016, 06:32:47 AM »
I don't have enough of the pathway fabric to complete the quilt.  I need another 2 yards.  I thought I could use some contrasting white and gold that I had but it isn't enough either it's only about a yard and a 3rd.  Grrrrh.  I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal