Author Topic: Everything Quilted  (Read 15760 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Everything Quilted
« on: Jul 25, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »
 :ScratchHead:  i think I'll continue this thread for all the little things that don't fit anywhere else in the quilting topics.  i might be wrong and it might not be used.  I just can't think well right now.

I received a package of fabric from an online quilting friend who had the task of cleaning out her sisters stash.  She also had diabetes so the lady thought of me when considering how to share out the fabric.  That is really cool.  There are several south western panels and art quilt fabrics so it is a great assemble of fabrics.  I'm a lucky girl.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Everything Quilted
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
That is so cool, Tammy. I am glad she thought of you.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Me too, she is a nice lady.

Today it is already to hot to quilt in the craftroom at the south end of the house.  So either I drag it all out into the great room and work on it in front of the a/c unit or give up on it until night time when I never manage to get back to it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
The Machine Applique class didn't take long at all which was good because i didn't get breakfast before I left the house.  I took the first meds of the day at 2pm not a good time.

I found out a lot of the problem with my machine applique was the wrong foot.  I needed an "open toe" foot.  (thank you jenn for saving the post)  So now I'll be able to see what I'm doing.  I also found out the difference between steam and seam and heat and bond.  Who knew?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
Never quit learning, Tammy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »
I try Tina.

Last night I made a grid of my foot storage unit and now I have each foot compartment identified so I know what foot to use for what even if I forget my book like I did yesterday. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
I was going to practice with the new foot today but my shoulder isn't up to it right now and I very seldom do anything in the evening unless it is hand work and today I'm not even willing to do that.  Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be in shape to get something done at applique.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Now I am quilting the bargello placemat again.  I did the radio wave pattern on the major color stripe.  I did a little corner with the cobblestone.  And I did one section with the flower and vine pattern that i plan to use in one of the rectangles of the Blooming nine patch when it is time to quilt it.  So I'm getting some practice in which is good because these flowers are looking wonky.  I'm thinking if I continue like I did today I may be able to have it ready for friday's show and tell.  Wouldn't that be great.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
I hope you can get it done to share.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
I machine bound it and it is finished I'll have to redo the binding later on but for now i'm leaving it the way it is.  It's over 80 in the craft room and I can't do anything when it gets that hot.  I know you all suffer temperatures much higher.  I guess I'll just have to consider myself a wimp. 

I put a new blade in the rotary cutter.  I hope it last awhile.  I bought 5 hoping that they would last a year.  Now I'm waiting for the iron to cool down so I can clean it again.  I don't know how it got so dirty so fast.  It seems like I just cleaned it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
I want to make the quilter's license plate tote but it is too hot to get in the craft room I did try and got a few little things done but I was sweating buckets.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
Ok I frogged the placemat and top stitched it again.  i still don't like it so I'll probably rip it out again and hand bind it.  I probably won't do that until I've finished the rest of them. 

Then I started the quilted license plate tote.  It is probably more sewing than quilting but i'm going to put it here anyway.

First off the lining material that I chose is actually a border fabric  so only about 16 inches wide. But I have oodles of it so I put two pieces of it with the black edges toward the outside.  And now it fits good and there is room for about a one inch binding on one side and straps so it is all working out.  At least I think it is, remember I'm not a sew-er so I could be very wrong. 

Anyway then I cut the outside fabric into two halves and it is looking good. 

Then I went to get the batting.  Nothing the right width, so I zigzagged two pieces together.  This time they came out without bobbles so I'm happy with that.  I sandwiched them with the spray adhesive and I'll pin them tomorrow.  I'd do it today but my back caught up with me. 

Sorry for the long post.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
Long posts are ok, Tammy. It sounds very cute!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
i've got my fingers crossed. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2016, 04:39:51 AM »
I got the front pinned and I've begun the quilting process.  I'm quilting black on black and I can't see a thing that I am doing.  I'm planning on going around most of the license plates but I'm sure I'm going to miss some of them.  There will be many many ends to tuck in.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
This is one of those quilt patterns where you quilt and quilt and never seem to get anywhere.  Cobblestone is like that too and I'm going to try and avoid it in future.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »
Yeah. not my thing either.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2016, 06:47:45 PM »
Are there any others that you avoid.  I'd love a heads up.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2016, 05:24:17 AM »
I'm crazy.  I just signed up for another class.  and in the middle of the wallet class.  When do I expect to get any of these projects done?  This one is a beginning sewing class to make a lined valance.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Aug 20, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »
I used a meandering pattern for the back panel.  Now I need to make the handles and put it all together. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
Made the straps, stitched them on.  put the back and front together.  now I just have to hand stitch on the binding/cuff and then do the re-enforcement on the top of the straps and i'll be done.  I think I did something wrong on making the bottom but I've decided i don't care.  So there,...lol.  I will try and get a picture and then transfer it over here to the internet computer when I can.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
One more length of thread and I'm done, but my back is killing me so it will wait.  Can't believe that I got this as far as I did.  I'm really happy about that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »
I finished the Tote it is a big one.

I wish i could remember how to do this each time.  I always have to reinvent the wheel.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
Here is the first bargello placemat while I am posting pictures.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
next I'm going to try and get some of the flowers on the grandmothers flower garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal