Author Topic: Everything Quilted  (Read 15713 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Everything Quilted
« Reply #50 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:34:44 AM »
did all 3 rows of 13 and 14 on the bargello and one row of 15 and 16.  I absolutely couldn't get into it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #51 on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:51:42 AM »
These are on your placemats, Tammy? I'm really eager to pictures of the finished products.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #52 on: Sep 15, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »
yes these are the spring placemats.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Sep 15, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
The stitch book is still a problem.  This time I cut the stablizer all different sizes rather than waiting until I had the rotary cutter and ruler.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: Sep 15, 2016, 09:01:31 PM »
I may ditch this project.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Sep 16, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »
I tried plowing onward and upward.  Got all of grid 2.1 done and all the stitches in place.  There is only one problem.  I did all the stitches in straight stitch which is grid 1.0.  If Penny knew me I would swear that she designed this project purely to torment me; but since, she doesn't that can't be it.  It's just a coincidence.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Sep 18, 2016, 06:55:46 AM »
Bargello placemats - got rows 15/16 together and one of 16/17 together.  i don't think I could go much slower but it's suppose to be fun not work so I'm taking it slow.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Sep 19, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
Got all the couples together.  Started to put the quads together and I have a mistake.  I thought I had an easy fix but that didn't work either.  So I stopped.  I'll try another day.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: Sep 19, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »
Bargello - I worked on the mistake on rows 3 and 4 and I have them all sorted out now.  I don't see any other problems but then I never know what will happen with quilting.  At least it is one of five projects that are back on track. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #59 on: Sep 19, 2016, 11:04:27 PM »
Good, Tammy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
I got the quads done all the way to row 13 so over half way.  I'm feeling very good about that since it includes the really tiny bits that are a real pain. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »
Well I got done with the quads and was going for the halfs and got to the small ones and ran out of thread in the bobbin.  The worst place of course but I've got so much done that tomorrow will be a piece of cake I think.  Then it's the sandwiching, quilting, and binding to do.  Each will be quilted differently to help me understand how quilting can change the look of a quilt.  I'm looking forward to learning that bit.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: Sep 21, 2016, 06:19:08 AM »
No other errors found.  The tops are together and sandwiched.  I'm ready to start quilting tomorrow.  I've decided that every placemat will be quilted differently.  Just to see how much difference it makes. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Sep 22, 2016, 08:19:24 AM »
well I wasn't liking the quilting on the second one so this morning i got out the leah day 365 quilt patterns.  i found several that I liked and I finished the placemat I was working on with some poinsettia designs.  I don't think they look like poinsettias but when you have to come up with 365 names for different patterns I would think that it would get pretty hard after a while.  I mean how many things can you call a spiral with petals? 

So I finished the quilting, squared it and then put on a machine binding.  i used white glue and the iron to keep the binding in place which took care of 95% of the puckers and made the line of stitching stay where i wanted it for the most part and it looks straight.  So the adjustable stitch in the ditch pressor foot worked wonders.

I did make a mistake and bound the front first like I normally would and that meant that the machine stitching shows on the front in the top.  If I had done it reverse using a matching thread with the backing it wouldn't have showed, which would have been better.  But I still have two more placemats to practice on. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: Sep 24, 2016, 05:50:41 AM »
Bargello - placemat 3:  Half of it is quilting and I'm not liking what I thought I would love.  Imagine that.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #65 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
Yeah, it happens like that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
Bargello - placemat 3 is finished.  I machine bound it making the same mistake with the machine binding.  I need to start at the back and then do the front.  I'd like to stop messing that up.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
Bargello - placemat 4 is quilted.  I still need to square and then bind it.  going to try a 3/8 inch seam allowance this time.  I'm bound to get it right sooner or later.  At least that is the hope.

I picked up a new project for this winter.  It is a club project.  The second one since I promised myself that I wasn't doing any more of these.  It is a color project.  I got green as my color and my color scheme is split complementary.  Now something I would ever choose to do so it is a good one for me.  Now to see what I can do with it.  What ever I do it will be small.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #68 on: Sep 25, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
Is this a charity quilt, Tammy?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #69 on: Sep 25, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
No although I could do that with it after it is finished but I plan to do something much smaller with it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Sep 28, 2016, 07:44:59 AM »
Well the first plan for the club project was a bust, which might be a good thing.  I was going to get some burgundy colored fabric and just do a simple sashing around some focal blocks.  I wasn't happy with what i had but i was trying to force myself onward.  There was no burgandy color worthy of it's name so I decided to scrap that idea.  Now i'm thinking moyne star with the orange-red and burgandy for the star and the green for the background.  If I like it I might use it for one of my window quilts and kill two birds with one stone.  That would be nice. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #71 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
Flexibility is a good thing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:37:20 AM »
Bargello - placemat 4, Ill sewn on the back of the binding and couldn't remember how to end the binding so I had to come in here and watch several videos until I found the one I wanted.  I guess I should have book marked it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:44:00 AM »
I still forgot to bookmark it.  I'm such a nut.  Anyway it is the one where you leave a 10 inch unfinished piece on each end.  Pin the center of the ten inches, and then measure 1/2 the binding width from the pin for each piece of the binding and cut the excess off.  Then make the triangle out of the two ends and sew it down.  Comes out perfect.  For some reason I had forgotten the pin bit and was having an atrocious time.  

So all 4 are done now and the 4th one I managed to remember to do the front first to glue down with white glue and to use the adjustable stitch in the ditch foot.  
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016, 04:46:18 AM by duh »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #74 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
So they are all done, Tammy?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal