Author Topic: tablets are computers too, right?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
tablets are computers too, right?
« on: Sep 21, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone (looking to you Jen since you have young grandkids) has any suggestions on a tablet for a toddler. Krys is wanting to get one for Chloe for Christmas. She would have limited time on it of course, but she has her Mom's old Samsung S4 with no outside connections on it that Krys has downloaded a few games. Little miss smart Chloe mastered those few games in no time and is bored with them. Especially the matching game. She mastered that one in one day. Even when we paid to open up the new shapes screen she had them mastered in one day. She can almost do them without looking. She does well at the other games too, just not 'mastered'. Anyhow, from what I can see, I'm leaning toward the amazon fire epic for kids. But was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the others. Leapfrog one looks good but limited to downloading their proprietary games which are expensive and we will want to eventually get her on abc.com so will need to be able to get on the internet at some point. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Anyone is welcome to make suggestions, not just Jen. :)
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: tablets are computers too, right?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
I got Teddy an iPod with a bunch of memory. I don't know about any other types.
I would not suggest anything expensive for a toddler. I figure they will break. I'd begin with something cheap with a foam protector. But not the Leapfrog ones.
I'm sorry I am not better informed.
Oh. and yes they are computers too.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2016, 12:24:40 AM by Tina »
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2016, 06:10:10 AM »
Yep, and most things you hold in your hand is a computer.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »
Isn't an Ipod for music? or did you mean IPad? I had pretty much decided against Leap Frog. And yes, we want pretty cheap. We're not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on this, just to be able to run her educational games with ability to get on the net with parental controls.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »
Yes, I meant an iPad.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Jackson has an IPad, and it's great, but I'm not a fan of apple.  Zoe has a couple of android based tablets she has access to, and one that is "hers" that has the protection on it so that if it is dropped...

if you go with android based, that has wifi capabilities, there is an app we started Zoe with that is called Zoodles, I think.  Even Zoe could not "crack" the code to get out of it, it requires more dexterity than a toddler has.  and this is the kid who could unlock ALL of our cell phones from the time she could hold them.  it has games that automatically update, and you put the age of the  child, you get new games every week, and best of all, it is free. 

I'll verify the name of the game, and get the brand of zoe's tablet for you.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
kate just texted me back, the game is zoodles, and i'm still getting emails and updates for them, 5 years later, with age appropriate stuff. a  good thing.  The tablet is the amazon fire kids. which will let you get internet access, and it is a tough device.  so get zoodles for her on the one you have now, and get the other tablet.  just my humble (experienced) opinion.  zoe spent hours, literally, with zoodles. drained all our phone's batteries ;)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
kate just said that the fire kids has a 2 year, no questions asked, return policy.  they love it.  if she adds any more info, i'll add it tonight when i get back on :BigGrin:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Great. I was leaning toward the amazon fire kids, but wanted more opinions. I'll tell krys to look into that game. It may be what she already has on the phone that has free games and upper levels cost like .99. But Chloe accidentally hits buttons that kick her out of the game then she brings it to us to get her back in. lol

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
if she's kicking herself out, then it is just the game part, or it isn't the same. getting totally out of zoodles takes effort, even for an adult.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »
She doesn't have zoodles yet. The game she does have has an exit button she keeps hitting.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »
zoodles requires that you either trace a z on the screen, or something else, i can't remember. but the best part, it is free.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal