Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Patty S

Rhubarb
« on: Jun 09, 2007, 10:49:36 PM »
When we left Montana, I brought my Rhubarb with me.  It was a start from my Mother-in-law's plant in 1977, & always got really big.  I put it in the ground here while we were unloading the U-Haul, & that spot became my Nigella bed later on.  It was never very happy there for some reason, & never even grew to be a foot tall, so I moved it to the deer barrier last fall, where it perked right up before winter set in!

This pic was taken just last week, when BG brought her buddy (Summer) here after school for a play date.  I was totally happy with the way the Rhubarb was doing at that time.

(Notice the Nigella & California Poppies that came with it when I moved it.  I thought that looked pretty cool.)

Today the Rhubarb seems twice as big as it was last week! 

I don't know where else I could have put it, cuz I don't really like having perennial plants in the veggie garden. Although rhubarb is deer proof too, I didn't plan on having another plant this large there, as the Devil's Claw gets about this big & we have several of them in that bed this year.  Sure looks happy though, eh?  :applause:
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2007, 10:54:55 PM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2007, 12:29:13 PM »
You mean people actually eat that stuff?

Bonnie
This is me ->?

pharmerlaura

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2007, 08:45:53 PM »
I never liked the stuff either.. :razberry: :razberry: Never.. :razberry: :razberry:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
I don't make Rhubarb pie cuz nobody here would eat it. (And besides, I don't cook!)  I like 2 yank up a stalk & eat it raw... mainly cuz when I do that in front of Keith, it makes him pucker & quiver!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:07:48 PM »
I have always thought that rhubarb was purple in color and looked like celery. Oh, well! Don't know if I would want a pie made out of it if it is sour... :shock:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
(Here I go, splaining something to Dianna again tonight!) :rolleyes1:

Sorry Dianna, my earlier pics only showed the Rhubarb leaves.  You see, those leaves are held up by stalks, & yes, you are right... they are sortof purplish in color & they have "strings", similar to those on celery stalks. (once the juice is gone, it makes for a mighty long lasting "chaw", if you've run outta gum!) 

You may go to the head of the class, m'dear!  
     For now.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 09:57:50 PM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »
I like being at the head of the class, even if I have to ask dumb questions! I was right. Remember? I was just ignorant (not knowing) about rhubarb...

I don't feel like a dummy because the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked... :D

(once the juice is gone, it makes for a mighty long lasting "chaw", if you've run outta gum!)

Chewing gum always got me sent to the office. Don't make me go to the Admin's office!  :smack:
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 10:46:15 PM by Patty S »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2007, 10:40:33 PM »
Naw, I'd never send you to his -> office... especially for chewing!  In fact, I always thought it was a stupid rule!  (I'm an addict when it comes to gum chewing, myself, & have a hard time concentrating without it!) :Wacko:

Kids always love it when I substitute in their classrooms, cuz they all know my rule...
"Chew gum all you want, but you must deposit it in the waste basket when you leave this room... if I catch one person blowing bubbles or having their gum out of their mouth in any fashion, everyone loses the privilage!"  I've never had a single problem!

I think you're right about the "dumb" question, by the way.   Sometimes I think up smart aleck dumb answers, but I usually decide not to post them & say, "I don't know, but maybe somebody else does", instead! (That way, I'm safe, & I don't have to go to the "office"! I just hope we don't get in twubble for hijacking my topic! )
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 10:44:43 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
I had a rhubarb that I grew just for looks. He got HUGE every year. I forgot him at  the last house, though...

I think I'll have to get another!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »
Thanx for getting us back on track here, Sarah.

Hey, I'd be happy to share some of my Rhubrab with you... can that be divided at any time, or is there a certain time of year that is best?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal