Author Topic: scalloped potatoes (for dianna)  (Read 5594 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
scalloped potatoes (for dianna)
« on: Apr 24, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
Dianna, I don't actually measure, but this is about as close as I can get to the actual recipe:

enough potatoes to fill the pan you are using by 2/3.  generally, for scott and i, i use 4-5 medium potatoes so that we have leftovers.  i peel and slice (unless they are red skin/thin skin, then i just scrub and slice).  then in a sauce pan, put a stick of butter, salt to taste, and add about 1/4-1/3 c flour.  stir like you are making flour gravy.  then add about 2 cups of milk.  i usually start with about a cup and a half, and go up if i need to.  i stir the milk into the butter/flour slowly so that it won't lump up.  just like making gravy.  when it is mixed well, and nice and runny, i pour it over the potatoes. if there isn't enough to cover the potatoes, i just pour more milk over the top.

then - either bake at 350 for about an hour (check after 40 minutes and every 10 minutes there after, OR put in the microwave.  my microwave lets me put up to 3 temp settings in at once.  so i do a few minutes (3 or 4) on high, the 7 or 8 on medium, and 6 minutes on medium high.  sometimes i mix it up, but that's about the base.  if the potatoes are not done when the time is up, i do it again.

the edges of the pan will brown and crisp, whether you do it in the microwave or the oven.  enjoy!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: scalloped potatoes (for dianna)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2017, 10:10:12 PM »
sounds good!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually have this recipe committed to memory. Peel and slice taters (wash), (I also add diced/saute'd onion); make a rue: 3 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour; Slowly add 3 cups of milk and cook until it starts thickening, stirring constantly to prevent burning/scorching. Then pour over taters and bake @ 350 until done. Taters fairly soft and top will be browned/edges crunchy.

Jen's has a lot more butter in it and a bit more flour.  Also note, I add saute'd diced ham in with mine and when doing that I just saute the onion with the ham. Just add salad and its a meal. Yummy.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »
Yum!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »
Gosh, that sounds so good, Jennifer. Thank you. And thank you, Barb, for adding your recipe too. I will be trying both. :)

So, basically the sauce is a thin milk gravy poured over the potatoes? Sounds simple enough that I could do it without messing it up. :D
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
This is what I grew up with. The only difference is greasing the pan or casserole dish you bake it all in.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
:)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
i don't grease the pan because a) the butter does that for me, and b) scott likes the crispies that stick to the pan.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal