Author Topic: changing flavors  (Read 2296 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
changing flavors
« on: Jul 13, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »
Can compost have a detrimental affect on the flavor of oregano and pineapple mint?  I have some in one of my containers and the flavor has changed and isn't good anymore.  Is there anything I can do to get it back to normal. 

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: changing flavors
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2007, 01:17:05 PM »
Compost should not have that affect on things. Have you tested the soil in the containers? It could be off on it's Ph, or something else. How long have the herbs been in the containers? With the recent heat, could they be getting ready to bolt? Do you trim them back regularly?

I noticed today that most of my herbs in the bed farthest from the house are trying their hardest to set seed, I haven't been using them enough lately I guess.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Re: changing flavors
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »
Do you trim them back regularly?
I have a clump of Oregano that I got from a friend when I thinned hers out for her, & it's about 3 feet tall.  Is is supposed to be short? :SmileyQmarks: 

Quite a bit of it is flowering... is it like Basil, in that you need to keep the flowers cut off if you want it to keep going?

I don't cook with Oregano... cuz I don't cook! :Whis: I have it in my deer barrier to keep the critters out of the things I want to eat (raw)! :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 11:25:06 PM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal