Author Topic: What will you do different next year?  (Read 5914 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: What will you do different next year?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2007, 06:46:51 PM »
I also might try growing tomatoes in big pots.  I saw a picture that someone else had done and they were great.

Tamara

« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:11:04 AM »
I grew cherry tomatoes in pots from the dollar store a few years ago and they did better than the ones in the ground.

Next year I will definately be doing some container gardening.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »
First things first is going to be my motto with the new garden.  First thing after I dig the bed is to ammend the soil.  It makes a huge difference.  Second thing I'm going to do is pay attention to plant spacing, bloom time, and plant height.  I want the new garden to really pop and these things make a big difference in how a garden looks.  See how much I've learned in the last few years since I've started gardening lol. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
Do you have a compost pile duh?  I love using compost.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:14:43 AM »
yes I do it's my third year and I definitely wouldn't be without one if I had a choice in the matter.  They make all the difference to a garden in my opinion.

christy

« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2007, 02:09:54 PM »
im putting another flower bed down the driveway for next year,  same things in it as the other two. for a all season bed. daffodils, tulips, iris, n daylilies. n annuals were the daffsn tulips are.,  was thinking of diggin up the sedums a-joy to put in the 3 beds for fall colors.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »
Next year I will plant more corn. It does take up some space, but maybe I get grow some beans up it or something. The chickens really enjoyed some fresh corn.

Next year I will start earlier. I will use row covers or whatever to get a longer season.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:07:34 AM »
I've heard that "the three sisters" planting system for corn works really well.  If I get some land I definitely plan on trying it. 

I'll also go in for more squash.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007, 09:09:40 AM by duh »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »
I will get busy and get things done instead of procrastinating....I hope. Other than that- I want to add lots more color and height. I can't wait to get started come spring!! OH!! And I want to add a pond next year, also!

Offline patches

« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2007, 01:42:59 AM »
Well, after carefully surveying the yard today and seeing what still needs to be done this year, :yikes:  Next year, I think I'll be starting my fall gardening tasks much earlier than I did this year.  :idea: Actually, I thought I was doing pretty good at getting a lot of things done little by little, but now it looks like my tasks have multiplied since last week.   :ScratchHead:   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »
lol don't they always?

One day I'm fine and the next day I'm buried under a load of chores that came out of no where. 

I am absolutely determined to amend the soil before I plant so that means that if I get a yard in January I won't be planting this year except possibly the trees I want.  Everything else will have to wait until the garden soil is just so lol.  Now watch me not be able to keep to that goal. 

Offline patches

« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2007, 02:49:10 PM »
Well, I checked my journal from last year and I guess it's the weather we get that makes the difference.  Last year, I had most of my leaves and the neighbors leaves all mulched and bagged.  :ThumbUp:  Right now, most of the leaves are still grean and on the trees, so that's something I still can't do yet.   :smileyNo:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

pharmerlaura

« Reply #37 on: Nov 07, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »
Grow more hot peppers.. :Glee: We had so much fun with them this year.. :BigGrin:

Pharmerphil

« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »
good grief, I've created a Lil Hot pepper growin' monster

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2007, 08:06:27 AM »
lol@the pharmers

you all are great.  It's so much fun to share our joy in the gardens.  And although, I don't do hot peppers I did do banana peppers this year and they are still on the plant working on turning red.  I thought they would have died off by now because it has been cold.  But it hasn't gotten down to freezing yet and they are still hanging in there.  And without any help from me because I've been to sick to do anything.  I hope the peppers ripen before it freezes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal