Author Topic: Today in the garden I...  (Read 12948 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Today in the garden I...
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »
...picked tomatoes and squash while Jim cut okra. We got another big basket full of tomatoes and plenty of okra to make Aunt Bonnie happy! ;D
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #26 on: Jul 31, 2007, 03:18:45 AM »
Today, I dug up a big root that was trying to get under my patio. Geesh, it was really huge!   :yikes:   I got everything watered really deep and got all my Shasta dasies cut back.  :ThumbUp:  This morning I found my first cucumber, so I'm thrilled.   :applause: By 2:00, I had to call it a day because it was getting way too hot  :hot: and I couldn't take it anymore.   :smileyNo:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Jul 31, 2007, 05:25:05 AM »
What kind of squash are you harvesting Dianna?

What did the root belong to Patches?

It rained good last night so I don't have to water today.  It will be a great day to weed if I can just get out there before it gets to hot.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2007, 06:38:03 AM »
We planted the straight neck summer squash, Duh! They are about played out now. We thought about planting more, but don't know if we will get around to it...

I won't have to water today. Yesterday's thunderstorm took care of that for me...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
I love the acorn squash.  I got one at the grocery store last week and I keep saving it for a special occassion.  But who needs a special occassion lol. 

I thought squash took a long time to mature.  Will you have time to plant more? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Aug 01, 2007, 05:37:18 AM »
I got the garden watered bright and early this morning.  I'm very proud of myself for that.  Maybe a little later I'll attack the weeds again.  I'm making progress I think.

Something had dug up my egyptian walking onion.  So I separated the last remaining slip and planted it over where the tomatoes had been.  I don't know if that will help or not but at least the little abused hosta now has sufficient room to do it's thing for the rest of the season.  Maybe it will manage some growth without the competition from the onion.

I found out that I could mulch around the ornamental grass so I went out and did that.  Now there is a nice mat of grass clippings around them.  that will help retain water which I think is going to help them recover from the transplant.  At least that is my hope.

I also took the clippings and other ground covers and pulled them away from the sweet woodruff and planted them else where in the bed.  I've really got to soften up the soil in the shade bed so I can transplant the sweet woodruff over there.  I tried moving some if it over their last year but it died because the ground is just to hard with clay and roots from the bermuda grass.  But I'll have plenty of compost next year and I'll just dig out what is there and replace it with the compost. 
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2007, 06:17:39 AM by duh »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #31 on: Aug 01, 2007, 06:47:03 AM »
Looks like you have already been busy out there this morning, Duh! It is better to get outdoors when the sun doesn't start baking everything in sight. :ThumbUp: Since I am not a morning person, though, I usually end up doing the slow roast...

I think that with our weather that we will have plenty of time for the squash to develop. Jim is going to stop by the feed store today to see if he can get some more seed for squash and cucumbers. We will only plant a couple of hills each this time, though. I think all of our neighbors are burned out on squash... :grinnnn:

I need to remember to ask him to pick up some alfalfa pellets, too, if he can find it there...

Offline patches

« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2007, 02:23:06 PM »
Actually, I haven't got much of anything accomplished in the garden today because it's so blasted hot out there.  :hot: However, I did manage to deadhead a few plants and trim the dead blooms off my Butterfly bush this morning.   :smile:

I'm going to try to get out there for a little while now so I can water the back part of my yard.  ;)  By this time of the day, the sun is finished baking it. so if I get it watered now it's one less thing I will have to do later.   :idea:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Aug 02, 2007, 06:25:49 AM »
I have some unusual squash seeds that I can send you Dianna if you are interested.  Let me know and I'll pass them on.  I don't have the space to do squash I learned that last year.  What a mess that was.

So far I have half of the garden watered and I tied up the blackberry lilies.  I guess the seed pods are heavier than the blooms were because they all started to lean on the other plants lol.

Offline patches

« Reply #34 on: Aug 03, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »
I didn't get out and do much in the yard today because of the weather.  :hot: I got all of my beds watered and took some pictures of my Sunflowers and my first cucumber.  I really wanted to dead-head some more of my perennials, but it was just too hot to stay outside for any length of time.  :smileyNo:

I did manage to get the pink Hydrangea, my friend gave me, planted and I really hope it makes it. :dunno:  Boy, it's in critical conditon and really struggling.  :( I think perhaps the service that cuts their grass must have mowed this plant down a few times.    :yikes:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Aug 03, 2007, 05:29:55 AM »
I am so glad I don't own a gun.  I go out to water the garden and here is this teenager destroying the anenome bed.  I ask him what he's doing and of course he has no answer.  By the looks of the plants that he didn't clear off, he had sleep there.  

People have went crazy I swear they have.  This one was evidently waiting for the bus.  

The sweet woodruff is gone.  There is one patch near the drainpipe that was left untouched of the anenomes.  And I still have two lilly of the valley in the shade garden that I can hope multiplies so that I have more.  

I know kids are self-centered and usually don't think about others but I mean really who let this kid out on society unchaparoned.  

I am really saddened by this.

What did I do in the garden today?  I ran off one vandal, cried, yelled at life, and watered.  It's suppose to get up to 100 today.  My temperature has already gone way over 100 today.  

I hope you all are doing much better than I am.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »
Oh, Duh! I am so sorry! It is so hard to see sometning you have put time and effort into destroyed.

Here's hoping it comes back bigger and better than ever!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:23:36 AM »
I have enough of the anenome and lilly of the valley to get them running again.  Do you think there is any chance for the tulips and sweet woodruff?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »
I'm sure as long as the bulbs themselves are unharmed they will be back next year. I have been rather hard on my tulips at times and they bounce back just fine.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Aug 03, 2007, 08:53:21 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: Aug 03, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
Anytime! :grinnnn:

I remember how bummed I was when kids would walk by my gardens at the other house and just rip off blooms and throw them on the ground. :razberry: I was upset for a while, then I just decided to change what I planted along the edge they had acsess to. I planted things with smaller flowers, like 4 o'clocks, so they wouldn't be any fun to pick. Still hated to see the monsters go by, though! :smack:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Aug 03, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »
They could at least have taken the blooms home to their mother or something rather than just destroying it.  I know exactly what you mean.

I'm growing some short dark red zinnia this year and I'm just praying that they seed before someone comes by and pulls them up or tramples them or whatever else they think to do.   

I definitely agree with the icon you used there at the bottom.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
Could you put a little fence around them? I make little collars out of chicken wire for plants I'm trying to protect. Seems to make people stop and think about what they are doing, sometimes.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #43 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »
It is terrible when people are careless with things that you work so hard on to get pretty. I am so sorry this happened to your gardens, Duh. Teenagers sometimes don't think before they act. :(

I think it is bad that the poor teenager didn't have a different place to sleep last night, too. Where were his parents? Is he a runaway? Homeless? No one to care for him? Sometimes teenagers are out and about because they feel safer on the streets. Makes me wonder if he chose your garden for a bed because he needed a little beauty in his life, for a change...

With all the challenges that you have had trying to garden, you will be rewarded with even better gardens next year. Don't give up. You can give in or give out, but don't give up! :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #44 on: Aug 03, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
he was waiting for the bus.  Why he was so early is a mystery.  Your right kids should not be on the streets.  No one should be.  There is only one shelter in Prince William County so you can imagine what the waiting list is like.  Certainly no where for a kid to get a nights lodging.

Without a car or a shed buying chicken wire and storing it would probably be beyond my means.  But I'll keep my eye out for something to put around the beds.  It's just that the last time I tried that they just broke them down.

Believe it or not this is a quite place for the most part.  Why I'm drawing fire is beyond me. 

Offline patches

« Reply #45 on: Aug 04, 2007, 01:55:38 AM »
Duh, I hate to hear that you're having to deal with something or someone like this. Of course,  :Vent: I run into this type of stuff all the time with the critters were have around here, but they're so cute I don't really mind.  :smileyNo:  Well, sometimes I do get frustrated, but they bring so much joy into my life with some of their antics I can usually forgive them. :smile:  Human beings are different, they should know better, but I guess they just don't care.  :ScratchHead:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Aug 04, 2007, 09:22:20 AM »
I know what you mean it's easier to forgive little critters.  But, I try not to dwell on the bad things. 

Most of the garden will recover and will just go from there.

Today I got everything watered by 7:30 am which is pretty good for me.  The really red short zinnia's are starting to bloom and I love them.  Their color is so rich.  I wish I had a camera that I could connect to the computer to show you but we are still working on doing that.  It's getting closer. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #47 on: Aug 05, 2007, 05:32:52 AM »
Today I watered and dug trenches between the retaining wall and the garden where the water was running off of the retaining wall.  It's just to hard to carry down to the garden to have it run onto the parking lot.  So that's one chore done today.

Offline patches

« Reply #48 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
Well, today it was so hot I didn't accomplish a whole lot in the garden. :smileyNo:  I did manage to get all the beds in the back watered,  :ThumbUp: and I'll water the ones on the sides and front tomorrow.  I also got to take some pictures of my Sunflowers.  :smile: I sure wish we could get some rain and cooler temperatures.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Aug 06, 2007, 06:47:54 AM »
I know what you mean.  It's muggy hot here which at least keeps the water on the ground where the plants have a chance at it. 

I've taken the first load of water down and harvested my one banana pepper.  I'm getting ready to take the second load down. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal