Author Topic: Today in the garden I...  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Patty S

Re: Today in the garden I...
« Reply #75 on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:16:22 AM »
By the way, Patty, that's a nickel between the two pieces.

Yes, I noticed that... Good job! :clap:

I took your pic & blew it up so I could get a closer look. (But not because I didn't believe you or anything like that)... "1967" Good year!

For that particular pic, I would have used a quarter though. :Whis:

Offline patches

« Reply #76 on: Aug 15, 2007, 03:21:25 AM »
Oh geesh, Patty, you could even see the year.   :ScratchHead:

For that particular pic, I would have used a quarter though.

Actually, I didn't think a dirty old root deserved using a quarter, besides I didn't have one with me.  :laugh1:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: Aug 15, 2007, 06:24:49 AM »
i'm glad to hear that it was an improvement over last year.  Do you know that if you cook the corn right after you pick it.  It will be sweeter than at any other time?  It has to do with how fast the sugars break down after it is picked.

I learned that from watching the america's test kitchen program.  Love that program.  And I love the Book you sent me.  It is fantastic. 

So far today I've watered everything including the compost.  And I move to of the volunteer petunias that were comming up under the mums and thyme into the back garden.  I hope they make it.  I soaked the holes I made for them and hopefully that will help.  A lot will depend on just how hot it gets today.  I hope one of these is a purple.  So far I have a white and one that is mostly white with a bit of pink blush splattered on it. 

My portulaca is going crazy.  It has completely surrounded the par-cel and overrun the crocus bulb and peacock orchids in one container.  I had no idea it was that aggressive under well watered conditions. 
I got a kick out of it the other day.  Almost the entire bunch of portulaca is orange with some yellow.  But the other day I went out there and there was one, just one, bud that was a fantastic hot pink.  It looks so strange sitting there all alone.

Other than that someone crushed one of the ornamental grass clumps.  Grrrrrh on people.

Offline patches

« Reply #78 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:38:58 AM »
Well, we're still struggling with the heat here, but I did get a few things done in the garden today.  I managed to get all of my garden beds watered very deeply, so they  may be good for a day or two.  :ScratchHead:  I was also able to get some of my flowers dead-headed, but not as many as I would have liked.  :smileyNo: Then I put some more mulch on one of my beds that's in full sun.   :ThumbUp: 
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2007, 11:43:21 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Aug 16, 2007, 05:53:03 AM »
The garden and the compost pile are watered so I'm even with the game.  More weeds have popped up in the berm so I need to really get after those but right now I'm going to catch my breath first.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #80 on: Aug 17, 2007, 07:37:47 AM »
I watered the hanging baskets last night, while Jim cleaned the filter out of the pond. Then I topped off the water in the little puddle. It was down at least two inches... :o

This morning I went outside and watered some more pots that I have on the back deck. I found a couple of "crispy" plants... :(
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Aug 17, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »
the freesia and the blackberry lilly are starting to crisp but it's ok since I know they will be back next year.  And I'll know to get the feesia in a pot early in the spring.  That way I'll get blooms and if we get a late freeze I can bring it inside.  See I'm learning lol. 

The tulip poplars are giving me a little bit of a leaf fall.  They did that last year too so I know it is normal for them this time of year.  It's enough to start gathering up and putting on top of the bulb bed.  That bed likes 3 to 4 inches of leaf mulch on top of it for the winter. 

Offline patches

« Reply #82 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:27:03 AM »
Duh and Dianna, boy, the both of you are really making some headway in your gardens and getting things done.  :ThumbUp: Glad you finally have the weather to do it!   ;)

This morning, I managed to water all the beds that were not in the sun.  ;)  Geesh, I couldn't believe how dry they were after my heavy watering the other night.  :( I also gathered about six tomatoes and picked one of my green peppers.  It would have been a great day to get a lot more done, but I had made other plans before the nice weather hit and I didn't want to cancel.  :Whis:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #83 on: Aug 18, 2007, 06:06:26 AM »
I know what you mean.  I have got to get to the grocery store but it's hard to leave the garden. 

I managed to get everything watered including the compost pile.  A colony of ants have moved onto the berm.  And the weeds are definitely mounting a major offensive for control of the berm.  And I can't find my gardening gloves.  But I'll get there. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #84 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »
I mowed from 10:30 a.m. til 2:00 p.m. today. Came in to rest and Jim said that he would finish up the back field, where I quit. He has about an hour's worth out there to finish... :)

Last night we pulled some weeds up from around the pond. It is really looking snaky out there. I really do need to get that project finished. It is bad enough having to deal with the black widows that make their homes around the pond without worrying that a snake might put in an appearance there while I am feeding Samson and Delilah... :yikes:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: Aug 18, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
snakes and black widows?  I'd never go outside.  I'd be to scared.  How do you manage?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #86 on: Aug 18, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
Duh, I look very carefully before I reach to pull weeds out there and I make sure I know where I am putting my feet. I am terrified of both spiders and snakes, so that project will have to be finished soon. I have to feed the fish and you know it is bad when I am afraid to go out there. Can't let my babies starve, though.... :grinnnn:

Offline patches

« Reply #87 on: Aug 19, 2007, 02:44:41 AM »
Well, Duh and Dianna, you're putting me to shame  :Blush: with all that you're getting done in your gadens and yards.  :Wow:

snakes and black widows?  I'd never go outside.  I'd be to scared.

Actually, snakes don't bother me, :smileyNo: but I really do worry about the Brown Recluse spider!   :SmileyFear: They are really not something I would want to get bitten by because they are some nasty critters and can do a lot of damage to a person!  :yikes:  It's horrible!!! 
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2007, 09:18:55 AM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Aug 19, 2007, 06:33:02 AM »
Well we had a gentle rain today.  It was so gentle that where the trees are none of the water got to the plants.  So I had to water half of the garden.  But that's still better than the whole thing.

I still need to weed but not today.  It is cool enough out that I've opened all of my windows and door so I can get fresh air in here.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #89 on: Aug 19, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »
I had to water the plants again today. We didn't get any rain here, so everything was dry as the desert.

We spent most of the day in the pool, but we did do a little weeding out around the pond. I have been afraid to go out there unless Jim was home, so got it cleared some while he was here. If I had seen a snake out there, at least he would have been handy to kill it for me. :SmileyFear: Not to mention being able to call the paramedics for the heart attack I would have... ;)

We were coming home the other night and saw a rattler as big as my arm laying in the road. Someone had already driven over it, so it was dead, but it gives me the willies to know that snakes are that big in this area... :o

Offline Patty S

« Reply #90 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:54:40 PM »
Most snakes don't bother me, but I don't want to be close enough to pet them! I see garden snakes all the time, but they're afraid of me, so I usually see them leaving!   If I were to run across one that rattled, THAT would bother me a lot, & my attitude would change, I'm sure! :eek:

When it was raining so hard this morning, I was a bit concerned about the seeds that showed up on my Tiger & Asiatic Lilies... thought they might have taken a pelting in the downpour we had, & didn't want them falling on the ground & planting themselves where I didn't want them (not to mention that I don't especially want hundreds of them growing there next year). So, when the rain stopped, I decided to put all my seed containers in the wagon & tour the yard & gather up whatever seeds were available. I got quite a few, marked them & put them all in the side cupboard of the entertainment center that I use for plant starting.  That gets them out of the way so we don't have to pole vault through this room to get from one end to the other! :wink5:

It was sort of a treat that I didn't have to water today, cuz God did that for half the night & most of the day! It's supposed to start clearing up & take us back into the 80's by Tuesday, which is fine... enough already, cuz I think the drenching we got is already going to split some tomatoes.

The flowers don't seem to be any worse for the wear, being watered "from above"... they probably enjoyed the free rinse! :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 12:01:04 AM by Patty S »

Offline patches

« Reply #91 on: Aug 20, 2007, 01:01:23 AM »
It was sort of a treat that I didn't have to water today, cuz God did that for half the night & most of the day!

Geesh, Patty, why don't you rub it in!   :Whack:  Tonight, God spit on us for about two minutes, and the only thing that did was put spots on my newly washed car.  :SmileyFit: We just can't seem to get any rain in this area at all.  :(

I got out in the yard for a little bit before I had to come in because of the heat!  All I did was deadhead all my Euchinacea so they're not using what energy they have to make seeds.  :smileyNo: They are so streesed out right now!  :yikes:
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 03:54:21 PM by patches »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Aug 20, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »
My garden got a good soaking rain last night.  Everything is looking good this morning.  Including the weeds.  Boy are there a ton of them out there.  I've got to get after them soon.  I'm thinking of doing some roundup'ing myself right after payday.

Offline patches

« Reply #93 on: Aug 20, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
Well, it's only 81 degrees today, but it's still very uncomfortable being outside with the high humidity.  :yikes: So, the only things I got done in the yard today was cleaning out all the birdbaths and filling them with fresh water, and filling the birdfeeders. :Whis:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Aug 21, 2007, 04:25:28 AM »
We got a good rain again last night so since I am beginning to feel awful I don't think anything is going to get done in my garden either.  It's always something.

Offline patches

« Reply #95 on: Aug 22, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »
I don't think anything is going to get done in my garden either.  It's always something.

Actually, Duh, I could say the same exact thing.  :Whis: I had school today, but I couldn't have worked out anyway because it was so hot and humid. :hot: When I had to leave the main building (where most of my classes are) and go to my 2:00 class I could hardly stand to be out there.  It was really bad!!!   :yikes: 

Well, the only thing I got done in the garden today was the watering I did when I got home.  Since it's starting to get dark earlier I'm losing valuable time there too!   :SmileyFit:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:11:08 AM »
Fortunately it's rained everyday this week so far.  The weeds are growing taller everyday but today is grocery day and then I have a home visit this evening so there is no energy left for gardening.  The weeds will just have to wait.

Offline patches

« Reply #97 on: Aug 22, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Duh, you are so fortunate to have the rain because it's so dry here that even the trees seem to be showing signs of suffering.   :(  My gardens look pretty bad even though I'm watering, but the heat is really taking it's toll on them.  :yikes: Of course, on a brighter note, I don't have to worry about the weeds because I don't think there are many of them are left either.   :rofl1:

All I did this morning was water the side beds.  I have to do that before the sun gets around to them.  :idea:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Aug 23, 2007, 06:41:22 AM »
today I got out there and transplanted the wheat and one of the mums.  We'll see how it does.  It didn't rain last night but the soil is still slightly damp.  I'm planning on getting out there and w.....well it is sprinkling....maybe I won't have to water after all.  That would be good. 

The weeds still need to be dealt with but I bent over to go after some after transplanting the mum and just couldn't do it.  Maybe, tomorrow.

Offline patches

« Reply #99 on: Aug 23, 2007, 01:36:29 PM »
I got out there and transplanted the wheat and one of the mums.  We'll see how it does. 

That's really great, Duh!  :ThumbUp: I will be anxious to hear how the mum is doing, so keep me posted.  ;) I think if you keep it watered it might be okay!   :Whis:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal