Author Topic: Pickled Hot Peppers  (Read 2907 times)

MassMama

Pickled Hot Peppers
« on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:04:42 AM »
This is the recipe I used last year

4 lbs hot long red, green, or yellow peppers (Hungarian, Banana, Chile, Jalapeno)
3 lbs sweet red and green peppers, mixed
5 cups vinegar (5 degrees)
1 cup water
4 tsp canning or pickling salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 cloves garlic
Caution: Wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers or wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face.

Procedure: Wash peppers. If small peppers are left whole, slash 2 to 4 slits in each. Quarter large peppers. Blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel. Peppers may be blistered using one of the following methods: Oven or broiler method: Place peppers in a hot oven (400° F) or broiler for 6-8 minutes or until skins blister. Range-top method: Cover hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister. Cool and peel off skin. Flatten small peppers. Fill jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Combine and heat other ingredients to boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Remove garlic. Add hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Yield: About 9 pints

I did not remove the skin I Nacho Sliced the Japalenos... we go through a lot of japalenos every week so I only pickle them...
I don't use any sugar or sweet peppers either!! the garilic I like :ThumbUp: Good luck
I think I have a few more recipes I will post when I get home

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: Pickled Hot Peppers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
Sounds so yummy!!!!!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
That does sound good, Rita! Thanks for posting it. I will be putting in some different peppers next year and this will come in handy... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
Actually I am going to use Pattys Pickle Recipe for this batch and see how it turns out... minus the Dill and mustard!!
Figured it would not hurt since I only have about one quart of hot peppers right now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal