Author Topic: Home Remedies That Really Work, using plants  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Patty S

Home Remedies That Really Work, using plants
« on: Jul 20, 2007, 09:36:55 PM »
Have you got any of these in your lawn?

You might notice that most of them are Band-Aid size... I don't believe that was a mistake in their design, as these weeds are the perfect poultice for slivers & cuts that inflame & start to fester.

For as long as I can remember, whenever someone had an owie that started turning red & irritated, we were told, "go find an Indian leaf & get it on there.  It wouldn't take long to find one in the back yard that had grown close enough to the ground to escape the mower. When I was a kid, I thought that the "Indian" part was just a saying, but I actually wasn't too surprised when I read that it really is an old Indian remedy!

According to the
Champaign-Urbana Herb Society,
Lanten (Broadleaf Plantain)
The primary use is to treat bee stings, rashes and skin irritations. It was used by many Indian tribes in poultices for wounds and snake bites. A decoction of the boiled seeds aids in childhood lung problems, mild stomachaches and painful ulcers. The seeds of lanten are combined with fruit juices or brandy to make a laxative tincture that is very soothing to the inner lining of the intestinal tract

The leaf seems to do the job without fussing around with crushing them or making any type of paste out of them... we've always just picked one, washed it off, & taped it onto the boo-boo.  Most of the time, within 12 to 24 hours, healing was markedly advanced.  If an owie is really red & inflamed, it takes longer & the leaf can dry out in a matter of just a few hours as it does its job, so it might need to be changed.  Broadleaf Plantain even works like a charm for irritated hangnails, zits & boils.

About the plant itself, wikimedia.org/wikipedia says,
The Broadleaf Plantain or Greater Plantago (Plantago major) is a member of the plantago family, Plantaginaceae. In North America, this plant is primarily a weed, though it is edible and is used in herbal medicine. The plant is native to Europe, and is believed to be one of the first plants to naturalize in the colonies.

This plant does best in compacted soils, and hence is sometimes called "roadweed". It is commonly found on field boundaries as it is tolerant to pesticides and herbicides. It is wind-pollenated, and a cause of summer allergies when in flower.

Where found: Common lawn weed found throughout

Availability: Best in Early Spring, also usable in Summer and Fall, but tough and stringy.

Use: Crushed leaves can be applied directly to the skin to stop bleeding, bee stings and insect bites. Psyllium seeds are a bulk laxative. The young leaves are delicious raw in salads. In summer and fall the leaves can be eaten as boiled greens.

When we moved to Oregon, we thought it was just awful that they didn't seem to grow here!  (We tried to pot some up & bring them home with us from Washington State, so we could have a plant handy, but they don't seem to like pots!) As it turns out, we lived here for nearly two years before we discovered that Broadleaf Plantain is almost what the "green" is all about at the city park, just a mile down the road! (Our taxes at work!)   Actually, I'd rather have them growing down there, than in our yard, cuz they're buggers to control & Weed N Feed doesn't phase them.  Going to the park to grab a few leaves to keep on hand in the fridge isn't a problem... & there were plenty of them waiting for a photo op when I stopped there!

Does anyone else know of a plant that seems to out-perform the Over The Counter "medications" that we throw our money away on?

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007, 10:46:40 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Home Remedies That Really Work, using plants
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
Great topic, Patty! :ThumbUp:

I am sure in this weed-infested acreage that we have a plant or two of the stuff. Now I will be looking for it!

Have you tried them for the table yet? I am sure when Aunt Bonnie reads this topic, she will be looking for some in the yard to add to her salads. We know that she isn't afraid to sample plants! :laughmao:

I will add more later, when I get the chance, if you remind me. We all know I don't have a good memory... ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007, 10:47:30 AM by Patty S »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Pharmerphil

Re: Home Remedies That Really Work, using plants
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
We could open a pharmacy we have so much plantain....
I purchased a lawn weed killer several years ago, then realized if I killed the Plantain, all that would be left, would be dirt. :Whis:
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2007, 10:48:20 AM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal