Author Topic: Wooohoooo using the pressure cooker  (Read 3259 times)

MassMama

Wooohoooo using the pressure cooker
« on: Jul 21, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
For the first time this year...Hoping to get the pasta sauce down and have some yummy fast dinners!!  :ThumbUp:
Just thought I would share with you all  :Glee: :Glee: I know I am wierd  :laughmao:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Wooohoooo using the pressure cooker
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »
I am scared of pressure cookers, Rita! I have visions of veggies and such all ending up on the kitchen ceiling! :shock:

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying yours... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »
I have been trying for 30 minutes to get the pressure down with NO luck!!  it is stuck at 15lbs and it is suppose to be 10lbs... the stove is on 2 I don't know.. maybe it is stuck?? I wacked the gadge but nothing!!  :SmileyQmarks: :yikes: :SmileyFear:

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »
Word to the wise: DON'T mess with that gauge!

Even the slightest bump can throw the calibration off! As you have probably learned from reading your canning books, the right pressure is extremely important when processing low-acid foods (pH values higher than 4.6, such as meat, seafood & fresh vegetables), to prevent the growth of botulism bacteria.

Did you have your gauge tested before you started? Our gauges (even brand new, out of the box) should be tested EVERY canning season, & the County Extension Service usually does it, or can tell you where to have it checked. (Free... you only have to take the canner lid in.)

For as long as I can remember, my gauge has tested out to be a couple notches off, so I have to bring my canner up to 12 PSI (when I'm aiming for 10) before I can start my timer.

Remember that heat regulates the pressure, while the gauge is only measuring pressure.  If your gauge reads a higher pressure than you need, continue the timing but gradually lower the heat.  As you've already learned, it takes quite a while for the pressure to decrease, but don't let the pressure fall below your target mark by turning the heat down too far.

I'm so happy that you're enjoying home canning!

Dianna, as you know, I frequently walk out of the kitchen & forget that I'm "cooking" when I get involved with other projects!  I've caused my fair share of messy, stinky messes doing just that, but let me assure you, I never leave the kitchen unattended when I have the pressure canner going!  Just the same, I only pressure can when there is another adult (or a person of a responsible age) in the house, "just in case"!

There are so many safety features built in to pressure canners, that 99.99% of the time home canning "accidents" are attributed to operator error or carelessness.  When a pressure canner is allowed to build up too much pressure, it naturally releases it to the point of least resistance & can cause a horrendous mess... but I would be more afraid of the serious scald burn damage to any living thing within range! 

I think that if you could replace your fear with a healthy respect for how pressure canners work, you'd absolutely love home canning!

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007, 10:48:09 PM by Patty S »

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2007, 06:54:59 AM »
OK at the risk of sounding Really really stupid what is an extention office??
and No I have read through the book and Never seen anything about taking the lid to anywhere...???
I did do just that in lowering the temp...Patty.. but even when it was on low it was at 15 then dropped to 14 it finally creeped down to 10 when the timer went off..
This is a new stove glass top that I think is holding the heat alot longer ... I am going to try a different burner next time and see if it is easier to regulate!!
PS I wont tap the gage anymore!! I promise!!

Offline Patty S

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2007, 11:10:32 AM »
Rita, the Cooperative Extension Service is a nationwide, federally funded educational network. Each U.S. state has an office at its land-grant university and a network of regional offices. These offices provide useful, practical, and research-based information to agricultural producers & consumers in communities of all sizes.

Look in your phone book under the court house offices, or call your court house information desk.  It's a great service... they can tell you what kind of grass or trees grow best in your area, as well as answer  questions, like how to get certain stains out, or if you can use shortening instead of butter in a recipe. It's just a great source for information of all kinds!  (Your "land-grant university" is the U of Massachusetts Amherst. )

I have read through the book and Never seen anything about taking the lid to anywhere...
I guess the recommendation for having your gauge tested every year must be in the paperwork that comes with the pressure canner, rather than in the regular canning recipe books. It's been so long since I've even seen the stuff that came with the canner, I don't even think I have it anymore.  Anyway, your extension office will tell you the same thing (that the gauge should be checked every season). It's a matter of "safe" canning.

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:16:51 AM »
 :ScratchHead: Just read the instructiong book again :unsure: it said nothing about having it tested every year..
But I will check into the Co-op and find out where I need to take it to have it done anyhow.. :ThumbUp:
Thanks Patty!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal