Author Topic: What's your take?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
What's your take?
« on: Jul 31, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »
I read an interesting article today:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/07/24/veggie.patch.ap/index.html

What is your opinion?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

Re: What's your take?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
 :Wow: What a great article, Sarah!  :ThumbUp: I think if a garden is well-tended and tidy looking it is a beautiful sight.  :smile: Although I don't know if I would want to grow any vegetables in my front yard, but my attempts at vegetable gardening is always on display because three sides of my yard can be seen by everyone.  :Whis: They can see my raised strawberry bed and all my tomato plants, but I have my cucumber and the two pepper plants planted in among my flowers.   :rofl1:     :Whis:  I figured if I ever wanted to plant more vegetables in my back yard, I would probably do it in a raised bed so it would look neater!   :unsure:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2007, 05:31:39 AM »
Well at least no one in the article has had their garden vandilized yet.  Or if they have they didn't mention it.  I can't believe there are laws about what you do with your yard.  That is weird.  My garden is street side.  Three sides of the property is street side so I guess I'm doing what they are talking about.  And I agree that tomatoes are anything but pretty plants.  Of course if I would get determinates that would be better.  My onions, chives, and ornamental onions are planted throughout my gardening space interspersed with everything else.  and the spices are planted with flowers too.  I like it all mixed up. 

Thankyou for bringing this article to share.  It was very interesting. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2007, 07:00:08 AM »
Very interesting, Sarah, to note that the problems were caused by people growing vegetables, instead of flowers. Seems like people would appreciate the fact that you can eat your harvest, instead of just cutting them for a centerpiece for the dinner table. :D

We move our corn patch around every year (trying to work out ruts where it was bush-hogged before we moved in) and I think a corn patch out front would provide some privacy, at least until our trees grow. ;) Unlike the person in the article that thought the corn patch was ugly, I think it is beautiful. :grinnnn: I don't think that it could stand the drainage problems we have out there, though... :)

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »
Now that you have started composting Dianna you won't have to worry about drainage for very long.  You won't believe the difference in drainage, weed pulling, planting, and plant growth.  It's amazing the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal