Author Topic: Crafts?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Crafts?
« on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:47:52 AM »
Anyone do any needlecrafts? Sewing, knitting, crochet, needlepoint, cross stitch???
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/thewrensnest/Crafts/
There are only a couple things in there I didn't make; the christmas ice skate, Theas Soaps, and the stamped cards. Everything else is me. I do make cards but use my photography instead of stamps. Some of the stuff has been sold or given as gifts.
I do alot of it between customers at work. Slow day are really slow. Some things are leftovers from when I did craft shows on the weekends. Theres really lots more, but not on digital 'film'.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Crafts?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
Aunt Bonnie is the craftmistress around here. I don't think there is anything she cant' do.

With her expertise, we crafted items for mine and Jim's wedding. This past February we crafted for Justin (ghostbuster, my son) and Michelle's wedding. We were sort of happy when her daughter ran off to Vegas with her beau by then to get married...

I used to cross-stitch and crochet. Haven't did any of that in a long time. Of course, Aunt Bonnie is the one who taught me. She gets me involved in everything she likes and passes the passion for it to me.

Dianna
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
I'm not as good as Dianna says, but I do like to create things. You might say I'm a Jill of all trades mistress of none.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:23:28 AM »
Me too Bonnie.
I got some cool sunset cloud pictures the other night. I was thinking the'd be cool notecards.

Heres more
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/thewrensnest/Garden/

I've never done them of digital pics, just regular film. How do I get digital pics onto regular photo paper instead of printing them myself?

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »
There are several ways to get your digital photos printed. You can order prints from your photo bucket. You can take your camera or card to most any of the many places that do printing, such as Wal Mart, Wal Green, most pharmacies etc., or put them on a disc and take the disc to the store.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2006, 11:31:58 PM »
I like that picture, Wrennie!

Dianna
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2006, 11:39:55 PM »
That's a really cool pic.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

kratz7

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:08:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

That's a beautiful picture Wrennie and it would make a great card..... :)

Kratz7

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »
 ;D Thats beautiful Wren......that would make an incredible post card!!!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:44:40 AM »
Well over the years I've probably done a lot of crafts.  Not particularly well because I'm left handed and usually self taught.  I'm not a perfectionist and it shows in my work.  But it's mine and I like it and some friends have too over the years.

Lets see I started out knitting, then crocheting, then embrodery.

And of course after doing some of the ones from directions then I had to create pattens of my own.

Then there was caligraphy and pastels that I got started on in school and just loved.

botiquing and tiedying I also learned in school and loved.  They were a natural for my next craft.

The next big one was quilting by hand.  I don't get along with sewing machines.  That was really fun but it took me forever.  My daughter and one nephew and neice got a quilt out of that before I put it away.  I'm currently working on a small garden quilt top that requires cross stitching.  I don't care for cross stitch so I'm not sure it will ever get done.

After that it was on to collecting and other things.  And I'll talk about that in their correct topics I hope lol.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2007, 10:49:41 AM by duh »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
I would love to be able to sew. I can think of all kinds of things that I would love to make! ;)

If I could, I would be making the grands some outdoor outfits for the warm weather months. I would sew curtains. I would like to recover my furniture. I could think of all kinds of things to do, if I could only sew... :grinnnn:

I haven't learned to quilt because it involves sewing by hand. I think I would rather let a machine take care of the "busy" part. My mother-in-law gave me some quilt tops and my heart daughter is going to help me make quilts out of them one day, if we ever get the time... :)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
If you go to the local fabric store and ask the lady behind the counter she will probably know of several people with the long sewing machines that will do the work for a reasonable price.  If not contact the local church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Ask for the relief society president and ask her if any of the ladies do machine quilting.  Many of our member have the machines and they don't ask huge prices for their work.  Just some suggestions.

I don't have a quilt frame so I can't help you with the quilt tops.  I quilted mine block by 12 inch block.  And then sewed the blocks together by hand.  It wasn't perfectly square but close enough.  And it's a great family heirloom if my daughter takes care of it that is. 

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »
I would like to recover my furniture.

If you mean slipcovers then yes you need to sew. Reupholstering doesnt take sewing knowledge.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Wrennie, I am hopeless with a needle and a thread!

The cushions that I want recovered are on my den furniture. I would have to sew the covers to slide them into because I can't just throw a cover over it. The furniture is wooden framed with loose cushions.... ;)

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
Wrennie....those are so cute!!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:48:54 PM »
Wrennie, I am hopeless with a needle and a thread!

The cushions that I want recovered are on my den furniture. I would have to sew the covers to slide them into because I can't just throw a cover over it. The furniture is wooden framed with loose cushions.... ;)

Sure ya' can! I did!! I have a chair with a back and seat cushion, open wooden frame. i got a couple yards of fabric tucked it under the seat cushion tucked the sides down & under and tucked in behind it. Then , same piece of fabric, i pulled it towards the front, still tucked in behind the seat cushion, put the back on the fold, leaned it back smoothd the fabric up the front and tucked it behind the back cushion and tucked the sides under the back.

did that make sense??

Of course from behind it would look funny.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
Of course it made sense to me... :)

by Wrennie:
Of course from behind it would look funny

That is what has kept me from doing that, Wrennie! Both chairs can be seen, front and back... ::)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2007, 03:24:13 PM »
Hang a comfy afghan off the back. Ta-da! hidden!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »
or. If the yardage was long enough fold the sides under, smooth it down the back and tuck under the bottom cushion.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2007, 03:37:51 PM »
I think I will just call the upholstery shop, Wrennie, and see how much they would charge me to make me some new cushions. I have had this furniture for a long time (since my kids were small) and have had it recovered twice. I think this time that the cushions will need replaced, too... :)

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Who knows? I may end up doing it your way if they want an arm and a leg... ::)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:58:01 AM »
If it is just cushions you need covers for send me the dementions.  Sister Donovan loves to sew and would do it cheaply.  You'd have to send me the material though.  After we knew how much material to buy. 

christy

« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »
 :grinnnn: dianna, i use to have the couch with the thick wooden frame! i loved it! [unfortunately my rottie ate the wood arms when she was teething] so i nolonger have it, i would love another one, anyho, dose your aunt bonnie live close? maybe you could get the material n you could make new cushions together? i made different cushion covers for mine,from blue floral to pinetrees n eagles, its easy to do,
oops are we talkin bout the same couch?  :idea1: with the thick wooden frame, 3 seat cushions, n 3 back cushions. i think the original fabric was a brown print?

wrennie thats an awsome pic!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal