Author Topic: Tomato preserves or jam  (Read 5750 times)

pharmerlaura

Tomato preserves or jam
« on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »
Am looking for a way to use some of the many tomatos we have & I would like a recipe for preserves. My sister made some Years ago. At the time I hated tomatos. Now I eat one a day just because I can. ;D

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Tomato preserves or jam
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2007, 08:49:59 PM »
Send some my way!  :grinnnn:

Seriously though, I have never heard to tomato jam.  What uses would it have and where does its consistency run as compared to other tomato products?

And what about canning other ways, salsa, stewed tomatoes, sauce and paste or have you done all that?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
Laura I will post some tomarrow ... :ThumbUp: I have a few in some books are you looking for jams or chutneys?

pharmerlaura

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2007, 05:21:48 AM »
Im looking for Jams. I have one recipe for tomato preserves.. When I had what my sister made it was sweet & I had it on toast.

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
2  lbs ripe tomatoes 
4  cups sugar 
1 (2  ounce) box dry pectin (optional) 
2  lemons, zest of 
2  oranges, zest of 
1  tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1 (4  inch) chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated 
2  cinnamon sticks 
Peel, core, seed, and slice the tomatoes.
In a slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, sugar, pectin (if using), lemon and orange zests, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon sticks.
Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
Remove lid from cooker, turn up to HIGH and cook 2-4 hours longer, until the jam reaches the desired consistency; dischard cinnamon sticks.
Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glass jars (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand until cool.
Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.
Alternative: may spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze for up to 2 months.

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »
2  lbs ripe tomatoes 
1-2  serrano chili, seeded, finely chopped 
4  cups sugar 
1/4  cup lemon juice 
1/2  cup fresh cilantro or fresh basil, minced 
1 1/2  cups tomato juice 
Bring a medium size pan of water to a boil.
Plunge washed tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds or until skin slips easily when placed in cold water.
Remove tomatoes from hot water with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into cold water.
Cut off tops, remove skin and core (It is not necessary to remove all the seeds but I would recommend removing the core.).
Cut the tomatoes into fourths, place in container of food processor along with metal blade and pulse 2 to 3 times to chop being careful not to over process.
Place the tomatoes in a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven; simmer 10 minutes.
Add the chili and sugar, stirring to blend; add lemon juice, cilantro and tomato juice stirring to blend.
Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until sugar dissolves; approximately 1 minute.
Boil gently for 10 minutes skimming off and discarding any scum that may come to the surface.
Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is fine.
Return the tomatoes to heat, bring to a simmer and allow to cook until thick and temperature on candy/jelly thermometer reaches 220 degrees; approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Skim off any foam, ladle into hot, clean, half-pint canning jars, and leaving 1-inch of head space.
Wipe the rim of the jars with clean cloth, place on the lids and rings; put the jars into a water bath canner with boiling water and process for 5 to 10 minutes or as recommended for your altitude.
Carefully remove the jars from the water and place on countertop on top of a towel.
Allow jars to cool and check seal; label and store in cool place. Enjoy!
Note: If you don't have a candy/jelly thermometer; you can use the plate test. Place a small plate in the freezer and allow to chill. Remove plate a drop a small amount of hot jam onto plate, return to freezer for 1 minute. The mixture should hold its shape when touched and not have watery edges

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2007, 07:18:45 AM »
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?categ=tomatoes,jams-preserves

Here is a whole list of them Laura!!  :ThumbUp: Hope you find what your looking for!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal