Author Topic: Busy making stuff  (Read 3170 times)

pharmerlaura

Busy making stuff
« on: Sep 03, 2007, 09:39:35 PM »
 ;D We spent much time taking care of some of produce this weekend.
Some of the stuff we put up ..Veg.stock. Chicken stock. That took alot of work & 2 days worth of chopping & cooking & pulling & cleaning celery we grew. Onions & carrots & a few tators. After all was said & done & tasting it MMMMM good.  I also saved some of the vegies & froze them for later use. They tasted good & I saw no point in throwing them away.
We also made Chunky style applesauce. That is really good.. :grinnnn: :grinnnn:
Also made Tomato preserves. From the taste test it was good also. Will know more after it sits for a while.
Still to go yet..apple jelly. & another pot of the applesauce & more tomatos to work up into sauce. I have the juice for the jelly ready..but alas too tired to do any more tonight. all in all we had a good productive weekend. :Glee: :Glee:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Busy making stuff
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
 :Wow:  Awesome work and you sure got a lot done!  All of that hard work is going to come in handy come wintertime when you are wishing for fresh from the garden produce!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:17:32 AM »
Great start, I love canning.

I lost my garden this year but have been slowly buying produce as it goes on sale and bottling up things as well.

Time for me to start freezing up things as well.

I never thought about bottling up stocks, I always freeze mine. How do you process the stock?

MassMama

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:32:22 AM »
for any stock you Have to use the pressure canner.. Do you have one Tamara?

Tamara

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:51:55 AM »
Nope, no pressure canner. Oh well. Guess I'll stay with the freezer dishes.

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
I just looked it up in the ball blue book  ;) wouldn't want you getting sick Tamara :-*

pharmerlaura

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
 :Glee: We do alot of canning every year. I give some away for Christmas. But it keeps us from buying the vegies. Potatos from the store are terrible. At least here they are. Yes you need to use the pressure cooker for stocks. We did several quarts. ;D

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »
I have been giving my stuff away as well.  It is so fun!  My neighbor just brought me over 2 gallon bags of blackberries tonight so I will be making jam tomorrow.  YEAH!  Saves me from picking and cleaning them all up.  I will be taking her a couple of jars.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:48:23 AM »
You have been wicked busy Laura!  :SmileyFear:
I have not made any jams this year I was more focused on keeping stock in the things we use the most ... Salsa,taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, Pickles..
I sure wish I was in a large farming or orchard area I would love to have some fruits given to me  :grinnnn:
Last night I finished up 3 quarts and 7 pints of spaghetti sauce!!  :ThumbUp:

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:51:19 AM »
I'll trade ya some fruit for tomatoes Rita  :Whis: That's if you had any tomatoes this year  :laugh1:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
Way to go Laura.......you have been busy and now you have all that to look forward too!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal