Author Topic: beads beads beads  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
beads beads beads
« on: Sep 06, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »
Anyone do any beading?
I string necklaces and bracelets, so far. I'm pretty new at it. I've sold the necklaces I've done. A few bracelets.And I make some of the beads, like the little swirly blue ones in the mushroom bracelet.

*broken link removed*

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:12:41 PM by barleychown »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: beads beads beads
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »
I've made a few poly beads. It can be fun. I've made a few buttons the same way. They don't hold up so well in the washer/dryer though. I like your jewelry, Wrennie. It is fresh looking.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007, 06:06:45 PM by Tina »
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »
Awwwwwww, thanks. I've seen people make poly drawer pulls and such. Have to seal them.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
I don't wear much jewelry, myself, but it is very pretty, Wrennie! I can remember Aunt Bonnie doing some beadwork when I was younger....
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »

here is my latest up and coming project.  It's my first-ever beading project and I'm hoping that it doesn't prove to be too difficult.  If I can do it, I may make more and give them away as christmas gifts.  The first one I make will be exactly like the photo here but the others may be in color.  I think I'd like to keep the colors monochromatic or just do a light color on the top of the wing or something like that just to accent it a little. 

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:50:42 PM »
I'm not big into angels and fairies, but that one is pretty Sarah.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
I agree Sarah, thats really pretty, well done!!  :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Good idea on the gift giving too

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
:laughmao: Thats just the package Penny, she hasnt made it yet! :laughmao:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
 :rofl1: Well isnt that a purty package then  :SlapSelf: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
Thanks Penny, I'm glad you like my scan and cropping abilities.   :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

I'm still hunting down the beads I need for it.  I ordered some off of artbeads.com 'cause I had some extra $$$ in a paypal account.  Hobby Lobby is running a nice sale on beads this week, so I'm kinda hoping to head down there and buy the rest of the stuff I need.  Thread, needles, wire, and the remaining beads.  There is a bead shop here but they are quite outrageous for prices.  A place in McPherson (about 30 minutes from here) has a very nice bead shop with much more reasonable prices.  If I can't find what I need at H.L., at least I'll have a few more places to look.

christy

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
 :rofl1: @ penny!  :laugh1:    :Whis:  glad i seen your mistake penny so i didnt say the same thing!  :laughpound:

cant wait to see it when you make it sarah

those are nice necklasses wrennie!  hey do you have lots of gothic kids around your area? they wear lots of black beaded stuff here, those tiny black/ silver stright like beads.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »
Love the necklaces, Wrennie!! Sarah- can't wait to see your angel finished up!

Wrennie- You said you made beads.....how do you do that?? Is it something I could do with Summer? Sounds interesting, I would love to hear more!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »
Yeah Christy we do have a Goth crowd.

Wrennie- You said you made beads.....how do you do that?? Is it something I could do with Summer? Sounds interesting, I would love to hear more!
Oh definitely! There is sculpey and Fimo. They are poly resin clays, (aka polymer clay) come in colors & sparkly or plain that you can paint. You can twist colors together or make patterns in it etc. Then bake at a low temp. You can clear coat them or leave them .
sites:
http://www.sculpey.com/
http://www.fimousa.com/
You dont need all the fancy tools they show to start out with. I used an ol paring knife, and a skinny knitting needle to  make holes with.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2007, 08:18:14 AM by Wrennie »

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2007, 02:54:05 PM »
So, where do you ladies (or guys) buy your beads at?  I know that japanese beads are considered more uniform than others and that is the extent of my bead knowledge.  With luck, I will run by hobby lobby today and I wonder if they carry Japanese beads. . .

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:19:54 AM »
Walmart, JoAnns, Michaels. I dont have a Hobby Lobby or ACMoores near here. Etsy, EBay, DOo an online search theres tons out there.

christy

« Reply #15 on: Oct 01, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
sarah i was tryin to find your angel pattern online n couldnt, im thinking this would make a nice project for me n sibs[morasha] to do for the christmas tree, beaded ornaments since she likes to do beads. i found these
snow angel
http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/aa121597.htm
poinsettia
http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/aa121498.htm
baby angels
http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/blangelbaby.htm

i like your better. were did you get yours??

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 01, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »
Christy, I found it in a book from the library and, much to my amazement, found it online with google.  Here is the COMPLETE recipe for it - with no copyright infringements.  Beaded Angel Ornament

My only problem with this recipe is that I can't find a lot of the beads, for instance, niblets (I think also called pinched), three sided beads, and 1/4 inch long bugles.  I checked hobby lobby and they don't carry what this needs (but mine is small) and I haven't hit the local bead shops nor the really, really good one about 30-40 miles from me.  This is my first beading project, so if you have any tips/hints/suggestions, feel free to share!!

christy

« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »
thanks sara i put in in my favs. ive never beaded before so should be fun.  :laughmao:  wrote it all down on papper so i can just take the papper to the store n tell the sales person i need this!   :laughmao:  :grinnnn:

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2007, 03:15:53 PM »
ive never beaded before so should be fun. 

Great minds think alike, Christy.  This is my first ever project too.  I haven't gotten everything yet, still getting stuff here and there.  Let me know if that sales person gives you any cool pointers!  For the directions - don't forget to read through the first few pages - just to make sure you know the terms and what ppl or whatever means. 

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:19:57 AM »
Here are some more places online to look for those specialty beads. google bead

christy

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2007, 03:20:54 AM »
thanks wrennie seen some how to beads in there, ill be needin that ;}
well i HAD beads! forgot i even had em till i cleaned out my coubard, sibs seen em n took em n made a necklass! lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal