Author Topic: So, do you sew?  (Read 15719 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Re: So, do you sew?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2007, 07:40:44 PM »
I think the mother daughter bonnets would make a cute picture!
For someone who doesnt like to sew, sounds like you are going to be doing a whole bunch of it this weekend.
Is JoAnns having a pattern sale?

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »
That bonnet does look cute on BG and I like the idea of that towel as well.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »
I used to sell at craft shows and still have some leftovers. I actually have a christmas crafts sale going on, on a different forum. These are all in that sale except the easter bunny apron;

*broken links removed*
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:15:48 PM by barleychown »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2007, 12:01:06 PM »
Those are too cute Wrennie.  My MIL made all of the kids aprons one year and they loved them. 

christy

« Reply #29 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:38:11 AM »
 :yikes: hlc!  :Wow:  wrennie!!! how much do you sell your aprons for???  :SmileyFit: i want the gingerbread one!  :SmileyFit: i want the gingerbread one!!  :SmileyFit:. :grinnnn: i looooove gingerbread men!!!

wow patty i didnt realize how big it was till i seen your pic, pretty lil girl,  :ThumbUp:  now that i see how small it is,,,,,awwwwwww! thats so cute!
 that lil head thing is the neatest thing! what is it? n i havent seen a head wrap [turbietwist] in years! you did a good job on it, my aunt use to make em n wear em when i was a kid,

:grinnnn: finally! i got a plane on my next quilt , got the pattern made up n already started cutting the fabric!  im making it about the same size at last years but im doing 2inch squares instead of 4 this time, gee that only means i need  lil 1,296 squares!  :shock:  :laugh1: that should keep me busy!

n wrennie i got just about all the fabric cut  for it you sent me ! :NewHug:  not the penguins though, thats for bb, did you know she loves penguins? if i have to watch happy feet one more time,,,   :Wacko:  , i wanna make her a lil pillow with it.

Offline patches

« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:59:04 AM »
:Wow:  I didn't there were so many talented people here and then there's me!   :smileyNo: I used to sew, but I put my sewing machine away years ago as my interests went in other directions.  It's got cobwebs on it now.  :rofl1: When I did sew, I preferred doing crafty sewing rather than clothes.   :Whis:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Patty S

« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:03:39 AM »
Christy, I guess I'm farther out of the loop than I thought, cuz I'd never even heard of a "turbietwist" before a friend of mine showed me hers last week! :Wacko: They're sooo easy to make, & I have a whole line of girls in the family who are asking me to make 1 for them now! (They'll forget about it as soon as put the sewing machine away, but they'll find them in their Christmas stockings!) :wink5:

You must have missed where I said in my first post, "I need a smaller "model", so I'm heading for the fruit stand with my tape measure... I'll probably spend more on an 18" melon than I did for this fabric..." My flower aquarium globe turned out to be way bigger than what I needed to size the hat to, so the "lil head thing" is actually a cantaloupe that has the same measurements as my Grandbaby's head! (It just didn't look right without a face on it, so I drew one on & pasted a piece of a dried flower on it, for a nose! That's what silly Grama 's do!) :grinnnn:

I'm making a couple more sun bonnets, to match the colors of the outfits I'm sending to the baby for her 1st birthday & I'd better hurry up, cuz that cantaloupe is going to start getting too ripe, & I already have 2 others in the refrigerator from my garden! (I had to go & spend $1.30 on it, so I could be sure I was making the right size bonnet!) :laughmao:

Wrennie, JoAnn's isn't having a pattern sale yet, but there should be one coming up before too long.  They do it twice a year, once in the fall & once in the spring.  I wanna get my sewing projects done before that happens, so I don't get caught up in it... my main interest involves having my hands dirty, & that just doesn't mix very well with sewing!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #32 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:29:39 AM »
Aww Christy that gingerbread one just sold on another forum I go on where I have a Christmas Crafts sale going on! She also bought the santa one. I'll have to look and see if I have another cut & sew panel for that one. :ScratchHead:
The prices varied from $12.99 to $21.99 depending on the cost to make them. Since I dont do craft shows anymore I've put them on sale to get rid of them. That one sold for $10.
2 inch squares!!!! That is very ambitious of you! And it will definitely keep you busy all winter! wow! I'm glad the fabrics i gave you will go in it.
I had no idea BB liked penguins! How cool is that?!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »
Very nice everyone and i agree.....such talented people on here!!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #34 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:54:30 PM »
Hypothetically speaking, if someone was going to hand stitch a quilt together, what kind of stitch do you use to do put the pieces together?  Something like over under, over under, or a backstitch, or it it something totally different specifically for quilts. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #35 on: Sep 10, 2007, 07:58:47 PM »
Wrennie you know I have a daughter named Ginger and REALLY, REALLY need a gingerbread apron too.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #36 on: Sep 10, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
Ok so help me... what do I do with all of this?  My machine is not working but I would really like to make some use of all of this stuff I bought.  I am just kinda clueless where to begin. (oh the links are all clickable if you want a closer look)

Offline Patty S

« Reply #37 on: Sep 11, 2007, 03:10:13 AM »
I've been sewing for most of the day, & getting things rounded up to put in the box that'll go to Maui. (Will get it mailed tomorrow, cuz I didn't even get outside the house today.)

I finished up the 2 bonnets I made to go with the outfits I'm sending for Lil, & they turned out fine.

I "cheated" on the green one & used a lace ruffle instead of using fabric & messing around with a gathering stitch... that one sure went together a lot faster.  Also made a variation in my "pattern", by easing the ruffles into the body of the bonnet at the ends. I think it looks better than the way the ruffles are on the purple & blue ones. I didn't break ONE needle this time when I was sewing! :yikes:

I've put the machine away for now, cuz I need to get back out in the garden. (I didn't even have a chance to water today!) The Christmas projects will just hafta wait. Now I can put the cantaloupe in the refrigerator before she goes bad! :laughmao:
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 03:17:34 AM by Patty S »

Tamara

« Reply #38 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:21:26 AM »
Triss, I use a fine backstitch for hand sewing.

Very pretty bonnets Patty.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »
Triss that all looks like a quilt(s) in the making to me.

Patty the bonnets  came out really nice. Isn't it going to feel strange cutting into miss melonhead?  :Wacko:

And Christy I did forget, but I just remembered.

Sheri I had no idea your daughters name is Ginger... did I?? I hope I have 2 more panels then. I bought them years ago. I dont know if i could even get them again.

Well its really pouring out there so i guess I can search for them(?it) this morning since i cant go outside & do anything.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 07:55:36 AM by Wrennie »

MassMama

« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »
 :Wow: what a great start Triss...

where do you get patterns for quilting ??

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
Books, magazines, the internet, fabric stores. I have 2 cute ones in my 'yard sale' stuff for appliqued quilts.

christy

« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »
oops patty i did miss lemon post! the outfits n bonnets look so good together,

triss i do both stitches, when i first pice a fabric together i go over n under then a back stitch, i only do the under n over first to help hold the pices together so when i back stitch i dont sew the fabric crooked,   :Whis:
looks like alot of nice fabric ya got, i would start by counting up n wrighting down how much fabric ya got, get a few patterns ya like n try to match up what all you can fit into what pattern. or make your own to fit your fabric into the pattern.  i like to play in art to work on a pattern.
heres the pattern i did for the pieced quilt im working on now, of corse it wont be those colors, the red are flower fabrics, except for the middles those are a goldish yellow leafs n  tanish white with hearts, n the green will be green flower fabric

then i messed with it again, thinking i might put somthing between the blockflowers

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 06:02:01 PM by Dianna »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #43 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Oh I like those Christy. Is this the one youre doing in 2 inch squares? Very nice!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #44 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Here is a link to an index of links for free quilt patterns.
http://www.freequilt.com/
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 08:03:51 AM by Rita »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #45 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:50:56 AM »
Those are really sweet bonnets Patty, looks adorable!!

Wow Triss.....those would be a good start to a quilt!!

MassMama

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »
 :Wow: that will be pretty Christy!!

Wrennie thanks for that link it is wonderful!! Ohhh can't wait to go through the closet now  :grinnnn:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
That is a cool link Wren and all the craft sites.....very neat!!!

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #48 on: Sep 11, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »
Patty, I just LOVE those bonnets... almost makes me wish for another lil girl so I could put something like that on her.

Christy, that is going to be such a pretty quilt.

Yes, all of this talking had me going through my craft box.  As you can see I have started prepping for quilts many times and that is as far as I have gotten.  But last night I started.  Just jumped right in with a flannel and jean throw for one of the boys.  I have been taking pics but I need to get it loaded.  And I know there has to be an easier way to do this but it is sure fun.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
Well no more gingerbread panel. But i did come across these gingerbread potholders. All 3 are the red print on front and tan on back

*broken link removed*
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 08:18:24 PM by barleychown »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal