Author Topic: Cake decorating  (Read 4085 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Cake decorating
« on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:19:09 PM »
Does anyone else decorate cakes or cupcakes just for fun? :grinnnn:

I started decorating a few years ago during the winter months, because I can make flowers out of frosting, when there are none outside to enjoy.

I had to take a break from it while we moved and got settled in here, and have just started again in the past weeks.

This is the cake I did today. It measures 6 inches across, and is two layers tall.

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

MassMama

Re: Cake decorating
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:42:06 PM »
wow Sarah great Job.. I have tried to do it and was Never sucessful at it.. I love the colors.. looks great! :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
Sarah, that is sure pretty!  You did a great job on it and it is small enough that you are not going to have tons of leftovers.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2007, 01:27:38 AM »
OK, I'm trying to figure out if that's a mini cake, or a supersized cupcake. :ScratchHead:   Hmmm... I've never heard of a 2 layer cupcake, so I guess it IS a cake! What I'd like to know is WHY you would make a 6" cake when there are 4 people in your household! That only gives each person a 1½" piece, & there won't even be any leftovers! :SmileyFit:

Well anyway, I think it's pretty enough, so I hope that whoever cuts it will feel bad about desecrating a piece of art! Your frosting flowers are sooo cool, & I like the idea of making flowers out of frosting when you can't go outside & play with the real ones! :clap: One of my teachers taught us how to do that in cooking class once, but I think I've forgotten how to do it, cuz I've tried to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. :wink5:

When I've had to, I've made & decorated some pretty cute cakes for my kids when they were little, & they enjoyed the guitars, dinosaurs & Cinderalla cakes, or whatever was needed to match their party themes. Now, the only time I ever bake a cake is when I get a desperate hankerin' for hot devilsfood cake with a smathering of real butter!  It's a wonder I don't weigh 300 pounds!

Nice job, Sarah! :ThumbUp:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:46:39 AM »
Sarah! That is a beautiful cake!! I can't do frosting flowers to save my life!! Gr1eat j20o3.b!!0

Mackenna was helping type....sorry! :rofl1:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
That only gives each person a 1½" piece, & there won't even be any leftovers!
That looks like a good reason to make a small one to me!

That is a really pretty cake Sarah. My cousin made a ducky cake for her niece that was really cute.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »
 :ThumbUp: Sarah, thats really pretty, you've done a great job!!!!!

Too bad we didnt live closer, cuz i know who i would be having to make my cakes for me  :grinnnn: :grinnnn:.

Again......great job!!!

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2007, 10:10:49 AM »
Sarah, that is a beautiful cake.  The only thing I've ever managed to do is the little "ribbon" of frosting on the bottom and stars.  But then again hand-eye coordination is not my strongest talent...  That is just a beautiful cake, I'm surprised you let anyone cut into it.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »
Thank you for the compliments. I think my next atempt will be a fall cake, something with reds and oranges and yellows. Maybe some mums, if I can figure out how to make them.

After eating it for two days, there is still cake left over. I was sure that it would be gone by now...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:11:40 PM »
Fall leaves would be pretty on or around a cake! Oooh, aaah.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
Still some left........wow....guess they liked how pretty it looked too huh!!

christy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2007, 09:44:33 PM »
 :Wow:  sarah! you did a awsome job!! i use to decorate cakes all the time,
what kind of icing is that?  i never thought of doing the green icing like that, great idea!!!  looks great n i bet it was eaisier than a bunch of grass tips over n over or smothing it all with a hot knife  :ThumbUp:
 :laugh1:  now im getting the urg! may have to drag out all my tips n bags this weekend.
have you ever drew pitchures on a cake? i use to take pics out of coloring books to do,  just let the icing set put a pice of wax paper over it then your pic, n take a needle n poke the lines and in the icing, then its lets play dot to dot with a bagie n tip to trace it all. the hardest one i ever did was bat man for rj when he was 5.
cant wait to see your fall cake!

christy

« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »
heres an old pis of the batman cake, cant realy see the top. i know i have a better pic somewere,

this is a store bought cake. i just made the monkey outta icing cause rj wanted a monkey on it
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 05:58:48 PM by Dianna »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2007, 04:19:39 AM »
Nice cakes, Sarah. Dianna and I sure would love to have had you around when her son got  married.
This is me ->?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal