Author Topic: Onions [solved] Egyptian Walking Onion  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Peggy

Onions [solved] Egyptian Walking Onion
« on: Jul 12, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
I have a question for folks out there.

About two years ago, my aunt gave me some "red onions" that she had planted in her flower bed in Northern Oregon.

The first year I had them I planted them in my flower bed out front, and just let them grow however they grew. They did not 'bulb', I thought, because they were so scrunched up together.

This year, my aunt passed, and I gave some to my sister.  And I moved them to the back with our other veggies in the garden. I spread the plants out, and planted them individually.

Both years, they have made tons of and tons of babies,  I even have babies having babies out there.  But, none of them is making bulbs and they are very large.

IS there some kind of ornamental onion that grows and does not make a big bulb (a non-eating onion?)? Have any of you heard of anything like this??

Thanks for reading this... just think it's wierd.
Now let me see if I have a picture of these to share.
Okay, I'm gonna go and take a picture, right now!!!
Have a good one, Peggy   :hi:

Okay, not great pictures, but I suppose better than nothing!

see the babies are bulbs!!!! but they loose that as they get bigger, they look like Giant Green Onions! lol
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2007, 02:57:37 PM by Jim »
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Pharmerphil

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »
sounds like these are egyption or sometimes called walking onions.
I have some, but would have to get a pic later.
Bulbing onions do not have babies.
Egyptian have babies comming from the top of the green  shoots.

Pharmerphil

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »
Here ya go, are these what you have?

*broken link removed*
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2008, 02:23:01 PM by Jim »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2007, 06:52:43 AM »
Why isn't my egyptian walking onion making babies?  I want some babies.  Whaaaaaaaaaa.   I planted them this spring early after starting them indoors.  One is absolutely huge but no little babies yet.

Offline Peggy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
Holy moly! That's them!!! Thank you!!!

Latin Name is: Allium cepa var. viviparum

I found a pretty good article on them here:
http://www.egyptianonions.com/

Top-set onions, tree onions, or walking onions are various names used to describe a family of very hardy perennial, multiplying, top setting onions. They produce table ready green onions (scallions) from top or bottom sets. They produce small bulblets on the end of the stalks in the second year of the plant's growth. Some varieties produce a second clump of top-sets out of the first cluster of sets. This type is often referred to as a tree onion because of these branching characteristics. These could possibly be used in flower arrangements. As the weight of the bulbs increases the plant stalks fall to the ground, which may be as much as two feet from the parent plant. The bulbs waste no time in putting down roots. This is why these varieties are sometimes referred to as a walking onion. If you do not want the plant to spread throughout your garden, the top-sets should be harvested. The flavor of these top-sets is somewhat spicy. They are delicious pickled. In addition to producing top-sets, the parent plant divides at the base producing an abundant supply of green scallions for salads, gazpacho and other soups or casseroles. When harvesting, always be sure to leave at least one onion in the ground so the plant will continue to multiply and keep you supplied with onions for a lifetime.

Another great article here:
http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/onion.html

this article has a recipie for the pickled bulbs!!!

Growing Egyptian Onions
By Brenda Hyde
Egyptian onions are a very cold hardy, perennial onion that is unique and easy to grow. It's also known as tree onion, top onion, winter onion, or walking onions.  This onion is not only edible, it's also ornamental!. At the top of the plant little "bulbs" form that can be used fresh, or they can be stored, much like garlic. Kids will love it for the quirky growth of the bulbs, and it's easy for them to help harvest and plant.
Egyptian onions are hardy to Zone 3, and can be planted in the fall. They are called "walking" onions because of the unique way the bulbs clusters bend down from the weight of the bulbs as they grow, eventually touching the ground, and taking root. You can divide these clusters and plant as you would other onion sets in the autumn. They do have a rather strong taste, so you won't need many! You can also use the green stalks, which are edible, much like green onions or chives. If you allow the new bulbs to fall over and root, these will sprout for you to use. They are best before the bulbs start to form on the new stalk because they do become tough at that point. There will be enough to use for the stalks, the bulbs and some for planting.

In the early spring you'll be able to dig some of the onions up to use as bunching or green onions. Park Seed carries Egyptian Walking Onion Seed.

Plant the small bulbs in soil that is well dug and amended with organic matter such as peat and compost. As mentioned, they are very hardy so should do well even in very cold climates.

The following recipe is another way to use the bulbs:

Pickled Egyptian Onions
Sunset Magazine 1993

Ingredients:
1 cup Egyptian onion bulblets (about 1/2 in. wide)
2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
(or 1/2 cup rice vinegar plus 3 tbsp. sugar, and salt to taste)

Separate bulblets, trim ends, peel, rinse, and drain. In a 1 to 2 quart pan, combine bulblets and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil, uncovered, for 1 minute. Pour into a wide- mouthed jar; cover. Cool, and chill at least 1 day or up to 1 month. Makes 1 cup.

About the author:
Brenda Hyde is a wife and mom to three living in the Midwest United States. She is also editor of OldFashionedLiving.com.

Thanks again!!  Peg
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 02:08:00 PM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Onions [Solved Egyptian Walking Onion]
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2007, 12:46:25 PM »
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for finding this information.  I've been wondering about this for at least a month but never got around to writting anything down.  I'm definitely going to harvest the side bulbs off of my biggest one.

Any suggestions about the best way to do that?

And I have to say that I planted mine in 100% compost and it is huge even though I planted it in March indoors and put it out in mid April.

Offline Peggy

Re: Onions [solved] Egyptian Walking Onion
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2007, 09:57:35 PM »
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for finding this information.

Any suggestions about the best way to do that?

Mine are planted in hay bails right now, and doing great.   I have picked the babies right off and separated them and put them in soil and they are just now starting to take off. I looked for information on exactly how to do that this morning (and official way) but found nothing. I have a couple more books I can look in too.

Tonight I am going to try that pickling recipie... you know, I think they might make interesting gifts. 

The rest of the babies I will plant. One thing is they are very cold tolerant, they have lived through two winters here, with no other protection other than they were close to the house.

I'll get back to you--if  I find more information.
Have a good one, Peg

Pharmerphil

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »
they will grow even if you let them drop to the ground (the babies), hence the "walking" onion name.
The patch we have has quad-drupled in size, and I never replanted them at all.
They are perrenial, and survive our weather here, which like last year, we had no snow to protect the ground and plants, and we had sustained temps of -30° for a month.

Offline Peggy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »
they will grow even if you let them drop to the ground (the babies), hence the "walking" onion name.
The patch we have has quad-drupled in size, and I never replanted them at all.
They are perrenial, and survive our weather here, which like last year, we had no snow to protect the ground and plants, and we had sustained temps of -30° for a month.

Well, no wonder they are surviving the Oregon winter!!! Nice!!!!
I've decided to keep mine!! hehehe!!!
Thank you so much for your help!!
Hugs, Peg

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal