Author Topic: Book Review Corner  (Read 21008 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Book Review Corner
« Reply #75 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
ok, sheri, yes, i was talking to you.  i just read the reviews on it, and i think i'm going to skip it.  i understand what it is saying and has a good premise, but it would just make me mad.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #76 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
The social worker at school gave it to me because I run around all the time saying "why are these people so dumb.  They do it over and over again.  What's wrong with them.  If they can't feed 2 kids why are they having a third.  I'm sick of these stupid people" and so on.  She agrees with all of it and  brought me this book one day and I thought I'd read it. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
it will be a good read for you.  i just don't like pigeon - holing people.  but, it will be enlightening for you.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
I dropped two archeology classes, phycology, and sociology in college for procisely that reason.  When they would start classifying people I would get so antsy I couldn't hold still it was crazy.

I finished all the Anne Perry and Elizabeth Peter's books in the library.  There are some early works that weren't available but I got most of them.

I just finished Feast of Souls [fantasy].  It is written from several points of view which I dislike but C.S. Freidman is a good writer.  There are two more books in the series I'll have to find.

I just started Lord John and the Private Matter.  I'm finding it hard to let go of the "feast of souls" so I can get into the new book.

In response to my earlier statement about religious books.  I will say that I liked and found very useful the book Why bad things happen to good people.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
Your not going to believe what Lord John and the Private Matter is about.  I just about fell out of my chair when I figured out what was going on.

It's about a gay guy in the queen's marines in victorian england who is trying to figure out if his cousins fiance has the french pox. 

What is going on a my local library?  Everything I pick up is very off color.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
that's funny tammy.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
I did not get very far into that book before I put it down... was not for me... and not just the storyline but the way it was written.... very hard to follow.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:49:35 PM »
In response to my earlier statement about religious books.  I will say that I liked and found very useful the book Why bad things happen to good people.

I read that book and liked it too.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:51:58 PM »
I think I need to find that book and read it.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
I think I need to find that book and read it.
me too

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
I've been dying for some good reads recently!!  Will have to check some of these out...
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010, 11:51:29 PM by landofoz »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #86 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
If you like non fiction read Nine Parts of Desire if you haven't already and Half Broke Horses.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:21:13 AM »
My latest book is Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book I want to do some of the technic's taught in the book on quilt blocks.  I'm very excited.  No suprise there huh?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #88 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
I'm sitting her looking at a book my step dad gave me called Digital SLR Camera and Photography for Dummies.  I want to read it but can'' make myself. 

Jessica

« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »
The other night I finished reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks.  Great books.  He is my favorite author.   I have another one of his that I will start next.

Dianna, did you ever find Chelsea Handler's books?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #90 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
I forgot the author's name so haven't looked when I have been in the thrift stores. I need to write that name down to carry with me... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
I read The Choice.  It's pretty good.

Jessica

« Reply #92 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »
I do stuff like that all the time.  I have to write everything down.  James gets so frustrated because I have such a bad memory.  I tell him I just have too much in my brain...it can't hold anymore. :giggle:

Jessica

« Reply #93 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:16:26 PM »
I read The Choice.  It's pretty good.

Have you read more of his?  I have read all of them now except the latest which I have and will be starting soon.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
Today I received The Legacy of Ancient Egypt.  I just looked through it and it has great pictures.  It was suggested to me by Barbara Mertz for it's great pictures and she was absolutely right.  There are pictures in there that I have never seen.  I can't wait to read the entire thing.  I'll probably be done with it by the weekend.  I can't wait for the other two to arrive either.  There is no way I can withhold these from the library no matter how much I may dislike that part-time librarian.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #95 on: Jan 08, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
The library is having a sale.  I picked up 24 books for 12.00 bucks.  I am super excited.  I've decided that my next purchase will be a book shelf.  I'll look for second hand but I doubt I'll be able to find any. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
Tammy, join your local freecycle. You may get a bookcase for nothing but to pick it up... :grinnnn:

Click on the group closest to you and register for a group here: Freecycle Network
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
I'd bet you could find a bookshelf lickety split on freecycle.  Just post a wanted message!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
since i don't have a truck, picking up a bookshelf from freecycle isn't an option.  But I can get the wood and build one.  or get one of them in a box and assemble it.  But thanks for the idea. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal