Spirited Places > Cemeteries

Hi I have a Question

(1/5) > >>

MassMama:
I live in Massachusetts... There are cemetery's EVERY WHERE!! I have never seen a sign that says Private nor have I seen one that has a no tresspassing sign.. Most are soooo old that they are Closed for new customers if you know what I mean... I could go to Salem and take pictures all day long.. Soooo does this mean I have to track down the last person that took care of the place? Or do you think it would be OK to go on in? I really love old grave yards and would love to share some pics of some cool old ones we have to offer...

Wrennie:
I would think they're public unless posted or on private property like a church yard.  I dont know for sure though.
In college I did an architecture project and took a bunch of pictures at graveyard/cemeteries, to show the influence of past architectural styles in the tombs etc.
One BIG one we went to a cop followed us around some to be sure we weren't vandalizing. It was obvious we werent visiting grandma when we got to the korean family corner. :-\
Theres a very old one down the road from me, tucked away in the woods. 'No Vacancies'. I've been in there to do rubbings. A lot of people dont know its there. There was a headstone years ago in there with a rose in a clear section {glass?}. When I went somebody had stolen the rose. It was on a baby girls grave.  :'(  I think it was an 1800's site.

MassMama:
 >:( that is terrible that someone would steal from a grave!!
I did not think there would be any problem with taking a few pictures..  :-* And of course if there ever was a problem I would appoligize and leave (missed sign or any of that) But we have a billion of them here and bunches within walking distance.. Hope to get a few real soon!

Jim:
After reading your question, I did some searches and found quite a bit of information on cemeteries in Massachusetts.  I would have to agree with Wrennie that if they are not posted or there are no signs, that they are public.  Here is an interesting bit that I found:

"Section 42A. No cemetery exempted from taxation under the provisions of section five of chapter fifty-nine shall be closed for visitations between the hours of eight o?clock antemeridian and sunset, except during the months of June, July, August and September when such cemeteries shall remain open until the hour of seven o?clock postmeridian; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply on Saturdays if the cemetery is owned or used exclusively by a religious denomination which observes the Sabbath on Saturday. It shall be deemed to be a violation of this section if entrance to or exit from any such cemetery by motor vehicle is prevented during said hours, if said cemetery has accessible roads for motor vehicles; provided, however, that access by motor vehicle may be prevented on the second Sunday in May, the last Monday in May, and on Easter Sunday. Whoever wilfully violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars. "

It appears that they have some "visiting hours" that are spelled out by law.

Lots more info on the subject here:  http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-114-toc.htm

I think if it were me I would contact the sheriff of the county as a precaution to insure that there are no restrictions even if they are public cemeteries.  The older ones like you are mentioning seem to attract the most attention so contacting a law enforcement official wouldn't hurt.

Let us know how it turns out.

Jim:
Be sure and post the pics for us to see.  I enjoy looking at the old tombstones and reading the inscriptions. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version