Gardening > Ponds

When Do I...

(1/3) > >>

Dianna:
quit feeding Samson and Delilah? Every time I go close to the pond, they come up and beg for food. I was told that when you had cold weather, you are supposed to quit feeding them because their bodies do not metabolize the food in the colder weather. What do you do when one day it is 70 and the next 40? Do you feed according to the temperatures? I don't want to starve them? :SmileyQmarks:

Tina:
I don't know where you live. We feed all year but slow way down in winter. I'm thinking if they are coming up begging that feeding a little is probably right. When it is cold our fish stay deep and don't show much.

Dianna:
 :thx: Thank you, Tina.

I will go give them a little bit of food right now, if they come up looking for it. They probably think I have put them on some kind of fad diet!

I can't believe how much they have grown. I bought them as feeder fish in 2005 and now they are at least six inches long....

Dianna:
Tina, Samson and Delilah said to tell you thank you. They came right up when I called them to eat. They were a little hungry, I think. :)

We live in SC. Our winters are usually mild and I have heard that it will be even warmer this year. We sure need rain, snow, or even ice, to get us out of this drought...

Tina:
What zone is that? You need to call around  and ask a local pond place how to winter your fish. I'm zone nine and winter is mostly just a cool summer for the rest of the country. A year round fish environment. And the fish eat various bugs that get near the pond water all year also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version