Spirited Places > Homes

Would you buy/rent a house if you knew it was haunted?

(1/7) > >>

Dianna:
Just wondering if any of you would buy or rent a house if you knew someone had died in it or that it was haunted? If not, why? If so, would you try to contact the spirits?

Dianna

Bonnie:
I probably wouldn't buy a house if I knew that some brutal blood and gore killing had occurred in the house. Other wise I don't think it would bother me.

I don't know if I would not try to contact them or not. Knowing me, probably would. I would be open to any communication initiated by them.

Bonnie

Jim:
Hmm, good question!? I've never really had the opportunity or need to make that decision but I would agree that:

--- Quote from: Bonnie on Dec 07, 2006, 08:47:50 PM ---I probably wouldn't buy a house if I knew that some brutal blood and gore killing had occurred in the house.

--- End quote ---

That would not be a good selling point for any real estate.? There may even be some laws on the books that says information such as that must be disclosed at time of sale.

Someone dying in the house wouldn't scare me away.? I would think it would be more the circumstances that I would be interested in.?

I really don't think I would want to buy a house that is haunted, but it would be nice to spend a night in one of the places in Savannah or the like that is supposed to have a high spirit activity.? I wouldn't sleep a bit!? ;D

Dianna:
There are rules of disclosure for real estate, Jim. I saw them while I was cruising the net. I will find them later and post a link on them for the information.

Dianna

Dianna:
A quick search led me to this:

The subject of stigmatized homes is complex because a number of states have disclosure rules relating to such properties. Some say, as an example, that you must disclose if the home was the site of a suicide or murder. Some say disclosure is required but only for so many years. The definition of "stigmatized" varies from state to state and in the those jurisdictions without a stigmatized housing rule it is difficult to know what the standards are, if any.

A home with ghosts may well be very disturbing to some buyers -- a real deal-breaker. Other purchasers, however, may have a very different view; they may enjoy interactions with phantasms and specters.

To such buyers, an infestation of ghosts is a plus.

As a broker you have an obligation to see what the rules for stigmatized properties are in your jurisdiction.

If disclosure is necessary, say in writing and as part of the sale agreement that it has been reported that the property is haunted (occupied?) by one or more ghosts. You need to assure that neither the seller nor you guarantees the presence or absence of ghosts -- each would be a difficult reality to prove. Please see what the American Bar Association says about stigmatized properties and see a local attorney for specific advice and language.

The whole article is here: http://realtytimes.com/rtcpages/20051216_askrt.htm

I am sure I can find more on this when I have more time...

Dianna

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version