Gardening > Houseplants

African violets 102

<< < (3/3)

barleychown:

--- Quote from: Dianna on Dec 07, 2007, 11:52:50 AM ---Sooooo...

A mother leaf can make a lot of babies in just one "sitting"? I figured that it would just put out one baby at a time.

--- End quote ---

The mother leaf can make just one baby, or up to as many as 10 babies. Every leaf is different.

--- Quote from: duh on Dec 09, 2007, 11:22:58 AM ---A friend gave me some "teenage AV's"  you know to big to be babies but not big enough to be mature plants.

And looking at one of them today it seems like maybe their are two plants in one of the pots.  Can it wait until after I move to separate them or should I get right on it?

--- End quote ---

Let me explain some reasons to have only one per pot, as well as some reasons to have more than one per pot.

First, if you ever plan on showing your violet in competition, there are rules galore to govern how it should look, which include only one crown (plant) per pot.

Second, if you want the look of a traditional african violet, which is symmetrical, and with flat rows of leaves, you must have only one plant per pot.

However, if you are just growing for fun, or growing for gifts, I actually prefer more than one plant in a pot. If you have two or three to a pot, you end up with a full looking mound of a plant, and different plants mean they will bloom at slightly different times, so you will end up with more flowers over a longer period.

All in all, it's up to personal preference. I grow them both ways.

duh:
Thanks Barleychown, I appreciate all the information.  And I'm glad I can leave them together.  I am so overloaded with pots and plants to move to the new place that any savings on room is a good thing.

Penny:
Wow Sarah, you certainly have the knack for growing violets, i have never been able too, not sure if not enough light, too much light, issues with water, i buy them and they never last.

duh:
i'm not sure whether I should post this here or somewhere else.  But, I'm really excited the african violet that my neighbor gave is has sent up blooms.  I love having blooms this time of year.  Isn't that great?  They are a pale purple color.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version