Author Topic: Monks Mound  (Read 4536 times)

Offline patches

Monks Mound
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »
Well, I don't know how it is in other places but around here these kind of places are always closed at night and no one is allowed in there. :smileyNo:  Monks Mound (Mound 38) is actually the largest mound associated with the Cahokia site, and it is the largest man-made earthen mound in the North American continent.  If I  remember correctly I think it's about 100 feet high and covers aproximately 14 acres. I've been there many times and it's a very interesting place to visit, but I've never heard anything about it being haunted.   :smileyNo: 

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to the Topo map of Monks Mound. 

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.658611&lon=-90.06138&s=50&size=m&datum=nad83

Actually, when I was taking the Parapsychology class at McKendree College (which is haunted)  :scaredy: we were given a list of all the haunted places in Illinois and Missouri, but Monks Mound was not on the list.  We do, however, have quite a few places around here that are haunted.  :yesssss:   
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007, 12:06:26 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Monks Mound
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the link Patti and looks like a great place to visit.

Offline patches

Monks Mound
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
Geesh, Penny, I don't know if I would put it on my favorite places to visit!   :unsure: It's reallly nothing but a big hill and there's not much to see there! :smileyNo: Of course, Monks Mound was always a good destination for class field trips since it is an important part of the local history of our area.  :wink5:  I just don't think I would make any effort to go out of my way to visit it!  :giggle: 
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2007, 01:58:03 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Monks Mound
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:18:09 PM »
For some it wouldnt be an ideal place to stop, but for me, i love anything with history, and would find it fascinating to stop and see  :ThumbUp:

Offline patches

Monks Mound
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
Well, Penny, History and Geography were never my strong points in schoool or held much interest for me,  :smileyNo:  so I may get a little complacent about places like Monks Mound.  :dunno: 0f course, after being there dozens of times for field trips, I guess some of the novelty wears off.  There's no doubt that it's a historical site, so if you're interested, I'm sure there's plenty of information on the web about it.  If I remember correctly, I believe there were an order of Trappist Monks were lived there and there was something about it having several terraces which made it unique and different.   :ScratchHead:  Geesh, it's been many, many years ago since I've been there, so you probably need to get the information from a more current and reliable source than me.  :rofl1:  Let me know what you find out because I see articles in our newspaper from time to time about new things that are happening there.   :wink5:
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2007, 12:52:19 PM by patches »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Monks Mound
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:53:28 PM »
 :ThumbUp: Thats some more neat information Patti, i was the opposite, i loved history and geography in school, there are so many places that i would love to visit, the Pyraminds in Egypt, the Aztecs, the ruins in Greece, the Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, all the old Castles in Europe, geeeee  :ScratchHead:, sounds like i need to win the lottery huh  :laughmao: :laughmao: :laughmao: :laughmao:

Offline patches

Monks Mound
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »
Well, Penny, if I win the lottery, I guess I will have to send you to those places.  I'm very much a homebody and don't like to travel, so you can go to those places and tell me all about it!  :rofl1:  Geesh, this past summer one of my high school classmates and her husband went to China for 18 days!!!   :yikes:  Another one went to Rome for over a week or so,  :ScratchHead:  but I would rather go camping, close to home and for a shorter period.  "Different strokes for different folks", it's just not my cup of tea!  :smileyNo:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal