Author Topic: Blue poppies  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Blue poppies
« on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
Does anyone have blue poppies or know of a source for seeds? 1 google image i found looked like a papaver variety but I believe most are meconopsis and go by Himalayan Poppy. :help:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Blue poppies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:31:22 PM »
I so want some of those but they won't grow here. They definitely need chilling. They are so pretty. I've seen seeds available in some catalogs in the past.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:14:08 AM »
Wrennie, these are such awesome flowers  :Wow: and one of the few plants that has blooms which are a "true Blue" color if planted in furtile soil that is slightly acidic and located in an area that receives partial shade.  A place called Sunrise seeds used to sell seeds for the Himalayan Poppy and I remember my friend bought some a few years ago, but she has a huge greenhouse and can control the temperture.  :SmileyFit: They will not survive where it gets too hot or too cold, :smileyNo: so that kinda left me out.   :( 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »
I've seen those too and they are such an awsome color!!!~

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
Not an easy one to find wrennie.. I found these

Pictures removed...

I know you were looking for yellow ones as well.. They say the Yellow ones are a silk lemon bush  :unsure: looks like a poppy to me..
Anyhow I found these at
All the other seeds I found were in europe.. I don't know how the "L" money works.
But was reading up and what a Beautiful Flower.
Thompson & Morgan this site hope it works for you they have some Very Pretty Poppy seeds!!  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 07:56:12 AM by Dianna »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
Hmm, I think that blue one is just like Elaine's (she lives in scotland) On the OG forum theres a member who lives in Alaska who says they grow there like wildfire. I just have to remember to remind her to save me some seeds come fall.
Off to look at Thompson & Morgan. Thanks!
Patty sent me some california poppy seeds, the yellow ones.

dang!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have $100.00 I can have to get poppy seeds with!!  :BigGrin:
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 10:37:53 AM by Wrennie »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Patty S

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
They ARE spendy, aren't they? With any luck, I might be able to help you out next year, Wrennie. (With the seeds, I mean... I got no extra money!) :grinnnn: Dodge had sent me a bunch of poppy seeds last year, but I didn't get them planted early enough, so nothing came up.  I'm glad I didn't plant them all & I hope they're still viable, so I can have another crack at them. (If I remember right, there are some blue ones, but they're not labeled.) :ScratchHead: 

Oh... I dont mean "next" year... as in next week.
    What I mean is NEXT next year!  
                   I'm not confused!  Are you? :BigGrin:

:yikes: HEY! I gotta get those planted NOW!
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 11:12:36 AM by Patty S »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:12:54 AM »
That would be great Patty! I have mostly reds now. One light purple variety. I had a double peony poppy that was pink. I would love a huge patch of poppies. (Lawn? What lawn? Make it all bloom!

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
Wrennie, I was at my friend's house of Friday and I looked at her catalogs and found the Himalayan Poppy (blue).  :Yahoo: The place was Seeds & More and the seeds were very reasonable, but she gets wholesale prices, so naturally they were dirt cheap. :Whis:  Well, I got their e-mail address off the catalog to see if anyone can buy them or it was just wholesale, but evidently you can.  :ThumbUp: They are only $2.95 for 50 seeds, it's quite a bit higher than her price, but it's still isn't bad.  :smileyNo:  Of course, with her price she would have to buy a large quantity.  :yikes:

Here is the e-mail address: http://www.seedsandmore.net/  When you go there just type Himalayan Poppy in the search box.       
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 05:58:14 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
dang!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have $100.00 I can have to get poppy seeds with!!  :BigGrin:

Good try, Wrennie! :rofl1:

Sure are pretty. The only poppies I have had were red...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
After looking at a bunch of the poppys on that site I wouldn't mind a 100 bucks to go shopping either :Whis: They are so pretty! I have never seen a blue blue flower before they are usually purpley..

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:24:11 AM »
Rita, I don't know if you're talking about the site I posted, but their catalog has a lot of interesting poppies.  I remember my friend ordered the Poppy 'Flemish Antique' when I was working there, so I ended up planting a ton of seeds for her that year. :yikes:  It was such a gorgeous poppy and also pinkish in color.  :Yahoo: Hmmm, wonder why I liked it so much!  :wink5: Actually, it kinda reminded me of a carnation with it's double blooms.   :yesssss:   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
They have the blue one in the Michigan Bulb Company Catalog that just came out. 

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »
Thanks duh. I don't know if i got that one and recycled it already or not. Don't remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal